Lowest prices for your stay
US$84
Expedia.comUS$84
FindHotelUS$76
StayForLongUS$85
1,609 results
All reviews lamb seafood chowder our waiter waterfront room old world charm oldest hotel wine list small room new zealand great meal lovely location waters edge overlooking the bay marlborough history paihia hapuka
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 March 2021

Booked dinner for a special occasion. Despite the wait staff being friendly, we were only offered one drink on arrival. We had finished our entree and main and still nobody came and asked us if we wanted another drink. My husband had to leave the table, go inside to find someone to take our order. By then we had both finished our main course. On paying, we decided not to say anything as the person taking the money was the waiter who we had asked finally for the wine list. He was busy, so no fault of his, rather fault lies with whoever did the rostering of staff.
I am happy to pay a premium price however the service at McDonalds is better than this.

Reviewed 20 March 2021 via mobile

We booked just one night stay and dinner at the hotel restaurant. The reception was efficient but I wouldn’t call it welcoming. We were not asked if we needed help taking our cases and bags to our room, despite 3 staff present. We had booked requesting a quiet room. The room we got had a noisy motor or fan outside the window. This prevented us opening the window to ventilate the room. The room was very stuffy. The bathroom was basic and the shower had a plastic shower curtain rather than glass. We had a drink at the tables in the front of the hotel, which has a beautiful setting. There is no service so we had to go to the bar inside to order and fetch our drink. The dirty glasses from previous guests were never cleared. We are at the restaurant in the evening. We were seated next to a noisy large group of 20 people. My wife’s pan fried fish was not cooked through. She cut it in half to expose the raw centre. We sent it back to the kitchen. Only one half returned recooked. We filled in the survey on departure and requested a call back. A week later and we haven’t had a call. Rather disappointing.

Reviewed 3 March 2021 via mobile

We had a group of 8 people. We were there for lunch and a few drinks, 2 bottles of wine and a few beers.. Most of our food was fine and the service up until after lunch was very good. We paid the account and sat inside as it was raining. I ordered another bottle of wine and was told they would not give me another bottle as we had had too much???
8 people..2 bottles of wine 5 larger and a cider with a meal over 3 hours. We are aged 50yrs to 75 years. We were appalled.
We could have forgiven the over cooked fish meal @ ($30) and the 3 cockles and 2 prawns chowder @ $23.50..but to be told we had to much to drink was appalling.
None of us will ever go back and we will encourage our friends to go to the Gables.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2021

We recently had dinner at the Duke restaurant. While the service was good the meal was very disappointing.I decided to have two entrees and made a bad choice with the peach pancetta salad as one of them. When it arrived it looked delicious but as I started to take the first mouthful one of the others in our group noticed a green beetle in the salad. When the waitress came back with the rest of the meals I told her. She took it away and returned with the salad. Unfortunately it looked like the meal had just been upended and now there was no pancetta. Once again I told the waitress and I was presented with a plate of pancetta.By this time I was over dinner at the Duke!. Not the usual experience we are used to.Thankfully our visitors enjoyed their shoulder of lamb but my husband was also disappointed with his very average meal.

Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 4 February 2021 via mobile

Absolutely delicious lunch with excellent service. The view from our table was awesome. A faultless experience and would
thoroughly recommend. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to return in the not too distant future.

Date of stay: February 2021