“Great venue for a special event”
Review of Outboards Restaurant - CLOSED

Outboards Restaurant
Price range: US$20 - US$43
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nice relaxed cozy little restaurant that serves a range of delicious cusine.
Reviewed 8 May 2016

We just had my dad's 80th birthday at the Ruakaka Tavern, and I want to say a huge thank you to Toni, Mark and the whole team. They put on a great buffet of finger foods (there were 50 of us) and set up the restaurant part of the tavern with beautifully set tables, chairs with covers and even balloons. They really made the day and everyone enjoyed themselves.
I would not hesitate to recommend them if your having a special event.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

When I went here, the actual restaurant was closed, but you could still order food from the kitchen, but you had to eat in the bar/billiards room. This was a bit awkward, and there were all kinds of characters in the room. I ate there twice. One night I was practically harassed by an older drunk women ... not sure what she was doing but I tried to cover my food as she hovered over me yapping about something, I don't know what. She was sloshed. Same thing happened actually the next night too - but I had just ordered a beer, no food yet. (It was a different woman, too.)
BUT the food (I had a steak both nights) was decent, and the chef (or guy I think is the chef) was very nice and came out to ask if everything was ok, etc.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

The food is beautifully presented and delicious to eat. This is a real gem away from the beaten track. It takes a great chef to prepare a steak properly and this place will not let you down.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

This place reminds me of Forrest Gumps "life is a box of chocolates "
I have gone to this restaurant more than 20 times in the last 2 years . I have on several occasions left this place absolutely amazed at the incredible food I have just experienced , for so little , In this 2 horse rural coastal town with no traffic lights and not much choice of fine eateries .
I wondered why or how the great chef ended up there . Did he get lost on the way to work at the french cafe ???

Unfortunately I have also left this place swearing I will never return because of the crap food I had to endure which was over seasoned with a huge dose mediocrity and indifferent service .
The only dish that never let you down however is the Clevedon raw oysters with balsamic . These are farmed oysters and are big and sweat with a nice texture , in my opinion forget about the small bitter bluffs that NZ is famous for . Crikey I went back home to the wife and 1 of them worked .
When it's good it's good , when it's bad it's not good .

Reviewed 12 August 2015

Have been very disappointed with the food here.Small portions large prices. A desert I ordered was still frozen inside. Two slices of garlic bread for around $6. I tried twice here but no improvement second time around.

2  Thank lauraT3795FQ