“Super food but a bit of a wait”

Amanda's on the Edge
Ranked #19 of 83 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

We went for dinner there with family on a Tuesday night.

On approaching the restaurant by car my first impression was - please fill the pot holes in your driveway! It’s was like driving round a maze to avoid them and some of them were pretty wide and deep. Ordinarily I wouldn’t bother but as the driveway isn’t sealed (it’s just gravel and dirt) I don’t think my insurance was valid ( more concerned about punctures)

On arrival we were shown to our table and as usual 6 people were crammed onto a table clearly meant for 4 which I know is a bugbear of mine but there was that much cutlery and glasses etc there was little table top showing and I was left wondering how we would get 6 meals and drinks etc to fit on it.

The view from the restaurant is stunning. I can’t add anything other than to say go and have a look !

The menu was simple but sufficient and the fact they have a separate vegetarian menu is great as we had a vegetarian In our group and they weren’t left with the usual one or two dishes thrown in at the end.

When the food came it was magnificent. The quality Was superb and the portion size was just right. I had lamb rump and the meat was cooked to perfection, very moist and full of flavour. Everyone thought the same about their dish so big tick there.

My only criticism was the speed of service. I know I don’t like to be rushed but having turned up on time at 7pm the process of getting us seated, orders taken and food arriving took between 45 mins to an hour. They had two people serving and they looked busy enough but I do think that this amount of time to get food on the table is a little excessive. We didn’t have an entree or dessert so I shudder to think how long the experience would have been if we had !

That said I guess for a romantic evening then making an entire evening of it is probably a good thing

Overall great food, pricing a touch high but worth it given the quality, service needs to be a bit quicker and the drive needs sorting out !

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 6 November 2018

We made a last minute booking for our wedding anniversary and found that they are one of the few restaurants (outside of the local hotels) that is open on a Monday and Tuesday. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. The restaurant has a good atmosphere and a lovely view.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Went here for dinner with a group of friends. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and the service was good. It's a lovely venue as well. Highly recommend the beef fillet. The prices are a little high but the food is great.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We returned for lunch 10 years after a disappointing rude service experience here for an evening dinner. You have to give this place credit for consistency, because they did it again. So never again.
Long story short, don’t question wine they serve without them showing you the bottle and having taken the top off and then finding it doesn’t match the ordered wine on their wine list. When pointed out that the younger vintage shouldn’t attract the same product price premium, the owner is called: ‘We just take what the winery sends through and that’s the way it is’. So no acknowledgement of misleading advertising and no understanding shown to the customer. Staff became rude from then on especially when it came to paying the bill when another question was asked on another matter.
The four of us walked away earlier than we might otherwise would have all expressing disappointment at the experience of this celebratory lunch.
So people - Amanda’s on the Edge - be warned, the staff and owner are very ‘edgy’! You can do better, much better for service in the Hunter.

Date of visit: October 2018
4  Thank Don2300
Reviewed 27 October 2018

From the lovely staff with great service to the fabulous tasty food there was everything right about dinner at Amanda's!

Date of visit: September 2018