“Great food”

Add it.
Green Roof Grill Restaurant
Ranked #301 of 613 Restaurants in Newcastle
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Haven’t been here in a while and was looking forward to making my custom meatball dish, but the menu must have changed since I last ate here.

I ordered the salmon and others had the bao buns and we were all impressed. The salmon dish was so good!!

Nice atmosphere inside too.

Reviewed March 9, 2018

Quick lunch with disabled partner food was terrible cold, over fried and hard to tolerate. We were told new kitchen new menu so expected better than what was served. Menu is very restrictive with no healthy option. Will not be back. Left disappointed and hungry.

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

Pasta night Tuesday
Decent serve of good taste
Would go there again
Really felt like we got our money worth
Great decor
Even the usual menu is good prices

Reviewed February 28, 2017

Well, not really. Ended up instead as a lazy vegetarian who’s graduated to a light diet - eating in daylight, by lamplight and, more often than not, by a fridge light; in fact spending way too much time holding the fridge door open looking for the answer.

Having meatballs at the Greenroof hotel was always going to be a test of my vegetarian scruples.

But enough of this foodlosophizing. The Meatballs menu is essentially variations on a theme. Various cheeses feature in some of the dishes on offer and go to make up some interesting combinations of meat and vegetables. Yet, I have to say it was more-ish and better still, guilt-free.

I strongly suggest you check the Kitchen menu on the Greenroof hotel website – a menu which boasts items like the Dirty dawg – a heart-stopper of a frank, maple bacon, cheddar, tomato sauce and mustard.

The menu appears to embrace the U.S., its Big Apple and Tex-Mex; it says hello to fast food and there is a distinct nod to hipster cuisine i.e. yes, there is kale, quinoa and truffles in salad dishes and other “greens” as well.

To be fair, you don’t need to be a meataholic to get inside the door. Vegetarians, glutenists and even vegans are catered for with salads and vegetable dishes and of course, there are the fall-back vegetaballs.

The food and drink. Entrees are $6-10, Mains $13-17, white wine by the glass $6 -9.50, bottles $26-40.

Red wine in a glass $6-9.50, bottles $26-46; more importantly cocktails are $10-14 and beer $5.50-8 a glass with bottles at $4.50 – 10.

Service. There is no table service as such. You order at the bar. You‘re given a beeper and you go and collect your order when the beeper goes off. The wait time was acceptable for a weeknight.

As entrees, we had grilled chipotle cornbread with maple syrup plus butter and yes, it just didn’t work. Far too sweet but the sweet potato fries with guacamole were quite enjoyable.

For mains, I had gnocchi – supposedly filled with ricotta and herbs but somehow, it had just a hint of meatball in it. Perhaps the chef just couldn’t help it. Other mains we had were the ballritos and ballpark burger – all I have to say were reported as tasty. At another booth, a couple were scoffing their beer battered Pluto pups and Mob spaghetti. I had to keep looking away. It all looked a bit meatarific.

We opted not to have desserts since the mains were quite filling. Desserts are waffles with a variety of toppings and ice cream.

Can I recommend this place? Yes, I suppose I can. The menu is somewhat of a foodadox – when food should taste odd due to the ingredients but ends up actually tasting quite good. If you can resolve this paradox and keep the punters coming through the door and then leaving with a smile on their dial, that is something to admire.

Personally, my deep-seated fear of going into meataphylactic shock i.e. where the sudden intake or large quantities of meat causes meat aches, meat sweats etc. - came to nothing.

My vegetarian principles remained intact. I can continue to live as a vegetarian. In between meals that is.

Reviewed February 22, 2017 via mobile

Heard some good things about the green roof and finally remembered to go there
Had deep south wings to start and could not fault them
The meat ball dishes for mains were good and the waffles for finishing were good
Overall the service and waiting time was good
Will be back to try some different balls