“Beautiful place, amazing staff, great food.”
Review of Barcito

Barcito
Ranked #25 of 637 Restaurants in Newcastle
Price range: US$9 - US$40
Description: Barcito celebrates all things Latino, providing traditional and inspired dishes from South & Central America.
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Barcito is one of a few places in Newcastle my husband and i keep coming back to. Atmosphere is always relaxed, staff so genuinely friendly and food is amazing every time not to mention the cocktails. The best Espresso Martini in town for sure.
I`m just so grateful there is a place like this in Newcastle where everyone is welcome even doggies.:)
Thank you Barcito. You guys are doing an amazing job. There are so many people out there truly admiring your effort.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Poor seating placement
The food was good and it dose have atmosphere. My only criticism is we were a table of four with a more senior person with us despite having booked ahead and the older person we were seated at a bench style table with high stools while a younger group who arrived later were given a more traditional table to dine at. Needless to say this was a cramped, uncomfortable dinner. Maybe a little mote thought is required when people arrive.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

little food, expensive and the place was full of cockroaches. not very good value for money in my opinion

1  Thank Carlos G
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

I went to Barcito for the first time last night after wanting to try it for ages. Can easily say it’s mine and my partner’s new favourite restaurant! The food and drinks were just amazing. We got 3 small plates and 1 large plate between us and it was the perfect amount. The service was outstanding from every staff member. We couldn’t fault our experience and will definitely be back a million times over!

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We waited ages - nearly an hour. We got a large plate ($26) between two, and a small plate ($18), and so little food for so much money. Cocktails were poor. And now I’m having peanut butter on toast because I’m still hungry. They gave us a discount because of the wait, but it was a Thursday. Won’t go back.

TeighanK, Manager at Barcito, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Hi Susan
I apologise for the wait on your meals, we just began the new menu yesterday so we expected some hiccups as everyone gets used to some of the new dishes. Despite being a Thursday (I am assuming you think because it is a weekday it should be quiet) we had an influx of walk ins and over 70 people dining which would have added to the delay (you may have noticed how packed the outdoors courtyard was). We do recommend booking as we will prioritise booked tables, but you should have been explained that due to being busy there may be a wait. I will have a discussion with staff regarding this to ensure waits are explained properly to customers, but I am glad they compensated you with a discount for your trouble.

It appears you have ignored the recommendations printed on the menu, being 3-4 small plates and a main per couple, or if having a large plate for an individual we recommend adding a side. Instead you got 1 small plate for 1 person, and 1 main to share between 2. I am a little confused how you think a food bill of $44 between 3 people, being $14.60 per person is extremely expensive for a dinner, or that you expected to be full after sharing a main and an entrée between three people. We are a specialised South American restaurant and we can not provide huge meals at pub prices or we wouldn’t be in business. We source quality local & ethical ingredients, we make everything fresh in house and nothing is frozen or bought in, and we pay our staff above award wages. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience and have decided not to return. If you do ever change your mind and come back we would be happy to help with food selections to ensure you are full and satisfied.