“You cant call that a hot dog”
Review of Blackballs - CLOSED

Blackballs
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Twelve inches of classic sausage, made by award-wining butchers from the Blackball Salami Company and served in a fresh bun with some truly unique sauces and flavor combinations.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Really? I'm not sure what there trying to do here, but this is not a hot dog joint. The fries came out well after the hot dog, so by the time I actually got to eat it, it was a luke warm sloppy mess. No Bueno.

1  Thank RichardTh0mas
Tracy P, Manager at Blackballs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thanks for your review and sorry you did not enjoy the experience, Blackballs has been closed since Oct 2013

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband visited Blackballs twice, he loved the hotdogs on both occasions. The sausages are huge (twice the size of a regular hotdog sausage), the flavour combinations were interesting, however as previously noted by another reviewer, the buns looked to be store bought. Also there is a vego option and a gf bun.
They are pricey, however they are substantial in size and will fill a man size appetite.
Great choice after a big night as they remain open well after the clubs and pubs have closed.

1  Thank Raphina
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I'm a Long time local and went to grab a Hot Dog with my wife at about 8pm tonight, wednesday 13th november and had a rather unpleasant experience. I rather like the Hot Dogs here...good quality meat, normally fast and friendly service and a good vibe.

Maybe a tad overpriced but handy for a quick meal during a break for us hard working 'Hospo industry' staff. Unfortunately, you seem to have a new staff member who thinks his job is to slouch over at the open end of the payment area and chat with his mates rather than serve people - I stood there waiting to be served for a few minutes, said hello and produced my EFTPOS card in a 'show' that we had decided what to order from the board (Infact, I'd pschyc'ed myself up to try the delicious sounding venison dog for the first time - I normally go for the Kiwi dog) - we were both very visibly in our work clothes - thus very obviously a local probably should on balance be given decent service - small town, word gets around and all that. Know what I mean?

However - this scruffy looking guy with the (Irish?) accent, tattoos and piercings threw us a surly look of contempt and continued to chat loudly and boorishly about his previous backpacking experiences in Thailand (or some such thing) to his equally 'down-and-out' looking mates. After a few minutes of standing there like a tit - I walked out slowly but indignantly - giving him at least the opportunity to make amends for perhaps not seeing me or not realising I wanted to order - but just got blanked by him and his unsavoury looking mates.

I know it's 'shoulder season', so finding decent staff can be a nightmare - trust me I understand. But couldn't you have done better than this in your most recent recruitment drive, no?

I Won't be back till he goes or buck up his act. Thanks.

4  Thank TomJack111
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I wish we had one of these stores back home. It's hard to find a good gourmet hot dog anywhere, but these guys definitely fill the gap! Even just the basic hot dog is great - really good flavour and the sausage isn't fatty at all. I wasn't adventurous enough to try some of the crazier combinations on the menu, but my husband loved the 12" chorizo, chilli and fire dragon sauce one!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Hmmmm, it tasted nice, but im not sure, there is so much competition in Queenstown that I don't know if I would pay $12 for another sausage.