Matakauri Lodge(Queenstown)
Free cancellation until 07/22
Book now, pay at stay
US$877
US$815
Mercure Resort Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$95
  • Pool
Heritage Queenstown(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 07/27
US$113
US$107
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$130/night.

Coronet View Accommodation(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$704
US$656
US$81
1,145 results
All reviewsthe riverte anauthe kitchenmountain viewinsect repellentheated floorsbed dormcamper vanfloor to ceilingdrying roomunderfloor heatingshared bathroompowered siteremote locationmain buildingriverside chaletsboat trip
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This was my second visit to Milford Sound in three years and I was dying to stay at the Milford Sound Lodge. I booked our lodging almost six months before our trip. It was a good thing I did this because we saw many people being turned away.

The lodge exceeded my expectations by offering us the opportunity to see the Sound after all the tour bus left for the day. We took advantage of this by sitting on the benches surrounding the Sound on two nights and watching the sun set--all by ourselves.

Our mountain view cabin was comfortable and the heated tiles in the bathroom very nice. Our room came with breakfast at the Pio Pio cafe, along with a three hour boat tour of the Sound. The breakfast items were creative and very good. Dinner was very interesting and had some great options. We also were able to do some much-needed laundry. The staff were very helpful before our visit to help untangle a few items and helped us book a few side trips.

We fortunately had two very sunny days on our visit so our drive to/from the Sound was beautiful. We took tons of walks and visited several falls.

While the lodge is pricy, staying there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Florida-Traveler-US
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I stayed here in April 2017. Lovely place, friendly staff, tasty food and a good selection of drink. Park is of course gorgeous. Easy to find and easy to stay. I shared bunk bed rooms with Germans and Austrians, I believe. I just walked in and had no booking.

Room Tip: Highly recommended
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Pricey, but we understand that there are few options to spend the night at Milford Sound unless you are in a camper van. Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable. The room had a refrigerator but no other facilities for preparing any food. There is a restaurant associated with the lodge. Screens on the windows would be nice so that you could open the room at night without getting bugs and critters into the room. We wanted to take an early boat ride before all the tourist buses pulled in, so we were willing to pay the lodge rate.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

As they are the only campsite here obviously they take advantages of it, I booked a site (no unpowered sites there) for my camper van , a « small Honda Odyssey », yeah , and because of that I had the smallest site in here (number 45) : almost felt in the dyke while going out of my car, and no space to put any camping chairs or table. « Fortunately » I didn’t mean to do it cause it was raining.
Facilities ok but bathrooms not cleaned each time I went on. Good kitchen and dining/resting area.
Well well well overpriced and lost of money as there is not too much to do without using your car .

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

First of all, for the good things- there is a great cafe that is open all day and serves a variety of different foods for different meal times. It seemed to be the best option in the Milford sound area in general. It's quite overpriced but so is everything else around here, and at least the quality in this case is good. In addition to that the common spaces are big, clean, have a pleasant atmosphere and some are available 24/7. Finally the staff was friendly at all times and even very considerate when it came to specific things, such as leaving our shared room for cleaning later in the day, given that we weren't checking out and wanted to sleep in.
On the down sides are the rooms themselves. This is about the least space I have ever seen between beds in a hostel and I have tried places with double the number of beds per room (here it was 8). The rooms are small, stuffy and have no storage space, bed lights or even plugs in proximity to the beds (5 shared plugs in one corner). Keeping in mind this is where a lot of people sleep over after completing the milford track, and some of them find it necessary to spread out their sweaty clothes around the room... yeah, the rooms stink. To add to this, there are no showers (and only a few toilets that are not available 24/7) in the actual building where the hostel rooms are, meaning an inconvenient walk across the camping grounds any time you need a sink for anything. At $40 a night it's not on the cheap side either, so there are not many excuses for such bad quality of the rooms.
Overall I would not have picked to stay here if there were other options in the area, but at least there was easy access to good coffee.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple