“Tantalise your taste buds!”
Review of Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus
Ranked #47 of 1,041 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$20 - US$32
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: When you are looking for a delicious dining experience in a stunning setting try QT Museum Wellington's flagship, French inspired restaurant – Hippopotamus. Our broad menu is peppered with a delicious mix of comfort food and fine-dining dishes that are designed to satisfy your hunger. Our skilled service team will weave their way in and out of your experience ready to recommend their favourite dish and aperitif. In our adjoining Cocktail Bar mixologists armed with all the hip, new cocktails and a host of firm favourites that can either be enjoyed while you dine, or as a pre and post dining spot.
Reviewed 17 August 2018

I visited Hippopotamus for lunch as part of a class trip to experience a higher level of service and cuisine with the hospitality industry. I came expecting to enjoy the food and the service and my expectations were well exceeded. The waitress looking after us was professional but also was able to have a bit of fun. Their Wellington On A Plate dish did not disappoint. The lamb was cooked to perfection and was accompanied with a delicious array of Mediterranean style flavours that were just Devine. The Executive chef even treated us to a special sweet morsel to finish. I will defiantly be back and am very keen to give their High Tea option and Degustation options a go!

QTMuseumWellington, Manager at Hippopotamus, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear William C,

Thanks very much for your kind words.
We are pleased to hear that your group enjoyed our Festival dish for Welly On a Plate.
We hope you will come dine with us again - perhaps for a leisurely high tea or Discovery Dining Experience?

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

I have a background in five star hospitality and let me tell you this is one well set up bar and I can only imagine amazing cocktails. Unfortunately I didn’t partake in the cocktails as we were just there for dessert. My sister had the creme brûlée and I had some fancy chocolate thing I can’t even pronounce (see picture). Friendly service and beautiful ambiance, was slightly let down with the dessert, I suppose with the presentation of the restaurant my expectations were quite high. However it was still a great dessert just not blow my socks off.

QTMuseumWellington, Manager at Hippopotamus, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear Cameron C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience from the friendly service to our moody atmosphere! Your comments on the L’Entrement Chocolat Au Lait have been passed on to the Hippopotamus team for consideration.
We hope you will join us again, perhaps for a leisurely lunch or high tea?

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Once again we have experienced the fine art of dining in the heart of Wellington. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary choosing the 6 courses degustation menu which never fails to impress us. We had an amazing evening looking at the night lights of Te Papa and the harbour in a very romantic atmosphere. The service is excellent and both waiters and sommelier are not just doing a job, they genuinely enjoy the service they provide. The French flair reminds me of home so yes I am fairly biaised but having tried many great restaurants in Wellington over the last 18 years, Hippopotamus is still my favourite!

Dear Sagesse40,

Thank you for your lovely review and high praise! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed indulging in our degustation menu. We hope to welcome you back for many more high quality dining experiences.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

We had great romantic evening here and we loved both the food and the service. There were also good glasses of wine to choose among. The fish of the day main course that I had was fantastic as was my wife's dish. The decor and ambience were just right and our waiter who originally hailed from Guadalajara in Mexico, a marvel. The raspberry dessert Le garden des Framboises was perfection itself.

1  Thank Perry B

Dear Perry B,

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience with us. We're thrilled to be able to treat you to a quality experience on all counts. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

I took my son here for the 8 course set menu with matched wines. So let's be clear..... this wasn't a cheap outing but the experience in my opinion certainly was worth it! We almost didn't book due to some weak reviews on trip advisor but they are what made me want to make this review as I can say that this was one of the most memorable dining experiences I have had. The dining time stretched over 4 hrs which felt like less than half of this. The courses and wines arrived with perfect timing. We never felt rushed nor that we were waiting. The food was strong on seafood perhaps a bit more than I would have preferred. The staff were all very good but we had 3 different waiters at various times which detracted. However the star of this experience was a young French sommelier. This guy made the evening. His passion and knowledge and indeed the selections made were beyond that that you could normally experience in New Zealand restaurants.

Dear Bettina,

Thank you for your lovely review and high praise! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed indulging in our 8 course degustation menu. We hope to welcome you back for many more high quality dining experiences.

Kindest regards,