“Stunning birthday meal!”

Ranked #2 of 2,427 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Chose The Grove for my birthday meal, and what a great choice it was! We were a table of 5 and all communications with the restaurant beforehand were professional and helpful (lots of changes from us in terms of number of diners!). We also had one guest in a wheelchair, and the restaurant team were more than happy to help him up the 8 or so steps.

Service - humorous, helpful, intelligent and almost telepathic! Our main waiter was brilliant and I swear could hear my thoughts from across the room, he appeared at the right moment every time and really made the evening a relaxed and fun occasion.
Totally unhurried and nothing felt like too much trouble.

Drinks - great range of beers, cocktails and wines - definitely recommend the pomegranate Cosmo. A cocktail was even created for my friend according to her tastes.

Food - loved the simple choice - 4 or 7 courses!
The pre-courses were divine and beautifully presented, the smoked bone marrow butter with the bread was incredible.
All the courses were creative, delicious and stunningly presented. Only comment would be that the cut of meat/choice of fish could perhaps have been more superior eg the beef dish was Wagyu Rump - at this level perhaps fillet steak would have been a better option. Having said that, all the meats/seafood were well cooked and tender.

The several desserts in the 7 course option were all beautiful, especially the Absinthe Bombe Alaska created at the table! One of our group even had a chance to try it out!

The 7 course option is certainly worth opting for - don’t be worried, the amounts are small and we were perfectly satisfied at the end of the evening without feeling overly full.

All in all, a brilliant night out and highly recommended.

1  Thank 4xWandering_Kiwis
Write a ReviewReviews (1,351)

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I'd read this is the top place to eat while in Auckland and we weren't disappointed. The service was impeccable and each course artfully put together. They took my wife's dislike for seafood into account and presented her with items off the menu. The Chef, staff and food were all terrific!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We were entertaining six overseas visitors who we wanted to impress so decided to take them to The Grove. The staff and food were both excellent. We where hosted by Micheal the charismatic owner who impressed everyone with his extensive wine knowledge. Beautiful fine dining experience with a friendly vibe.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Dined there last night and we were blown away by the food, absolutely delicious. Amazing sauces and purees perfectly matched to the meltingly fresh seafood and meat. First time trying lamb tongue and beef tartar, would never have ordered them yet Wow, so good. And the wagyu beef OMG best meal I have ever eaten. And the dessert!!

Four course was ample as it was preceded by bread and tasters.

Fabulous wine list, wonderful atmosphere and relaxed staff who obviously love being part of your evening.

Unable to fault anything. Go.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Nothing that I write will do any of the courses justice. And the photos I took definitely do not capture the beauty and freshness of the dishes. We didn’t have a menu to review before we were served so every serving was an exciting surprise. Every single course was amazing. I couldn’t honestly pick a favourite. We got to try food I’d never been brave enough to try before like tongue and sweetbread, cooked so cleverly that I would never have known that that’s what I was eating! I’m now a convert!! And I’ve never had cauliflower or parsnip purée so silky before! We opted for the 7 course degustation without the matching wines. We ordered a bottle of the Burn Cottage Pinot noir which paired wonderfully with all the courses. We can’t wait to return for the winter menu in a couple of months.