All reviews sky tower aotea square queen street art gallery room rate location is excellent twin room stayed nights auckland city short stay wellesley atrium iron
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Stayed here a few times when in Auckland on business. Great location, but make sure you don't get a room facing the street; the road noise is unbearable. Beds are old and soft. But service is nice and friendly, and its cheap!

Room tip: not road facing, way too noisy!
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank ururoa
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

To start with the good points. Firstly, I didn’t come to Auckland to sit in my hotel, therefore I found it easy to overlook the less great aspects of the Econolodge. It has an excellent location in the CBD, minutes from Queen St, the Sky Tower etc. It is also reasonably priced. If you want a hotel on a budget with great location, this is perfect. The staff are friendly and helpful. I had a double room (just myself staying), which was pretty tiny. A bed, tv, semi-desk, small wardrobe and ensuite bathroom. No room to swing a cat. The bed was comfy though and I slept reasonably well. There is noise pollution (the location is in the middle of a city so to be expected) and also lights from the surrounding buildings. The ensuite bathroom was pretty poor. Absolutely poky and outdated. The shower head would be suitable for people 5’ and under (pet peeve!) and there was no plug in the bathroom.

But in general I would stay here again, knowing full well what I was booking. Excellent location and cheaply priced which makes up for the lesser aspects.

Date of stay: June 2018
Econoldge c, Public Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Central, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Dear Pip

Kind regards,

Management

Reviewed 5 June 2018

it has been awful you get a salad of dry rice and a horrible sleeping mat do not go there!
I am never going there ever again! and terrible value!!! I had to pay $5000 for 5 people and its horrible. so that's why I think it is so bad I would prohibit this hotel!

Room tip: do not go! I highly disrecommend this hotel!
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Bristics

I have checked our records and we did not find any bookings under the names provided. From your comment regarding how much you spent at the hotel, we are a 3 star hotel and our rates start from $99 and during peak season maximum $250. You mention salad of dry rice, we only serve breakfast at the hotel and we do not serve rice or salad for breakfast. Please get in touch with us directly so we can help find out which hotel you stayed at. The room rate and description mentioned by you indicate you did not stay at Econolodge City Hotel.

Regards
Management

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Let me first start with the pros, this is a hotel that’s in a great location, 15 minute walk from the waterfront, 5 minutes from the sky tower, 20 minutes from the Museum of Auckland and has a SkyBus bus stop right outside! The rooms and the overall hotel was in a clean condition and I found staff to be very, very nice and hard working.

However, this hotel is in dire need of an upgrade, rooms still locked and unlocked via keys (it’s not the 1970s), the rooms are VERY cold and though a small room heater is supplied it doesn’t do the job in getting the room warm, and I was frightened to leave it on overnight. Though the room was clean it did need an upgrade, in fairness to the hotel I believe there are some rooms that have been upgraded, but I was not in one. My room was on the cosy side but as I was on my own I didn’t have much of a problem, if in a couple I would suggest upgrading to a larger room.

The most annoying aspect of my stay was the single glass windows that overlooked a major interest room, you don’t the pain of having to listen to the noise that the New Zealand traffic lights make throughout the night, I felt like I was in a game of Laser Quest the whole night!

Did not eat breakfast, but on passing found it to be small selection and over priced at $14.50 for continental and then an extra $13.00 for a cooked breakfast. Save the money and enjoy a quality fish and chips in Devonport, or a nice meal out.

The hotels location really does save it, but I would say this hotel is only good for short stays and some money NEEDS to be spent on it soon to bring it in to the 21st Century!

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

I was in Auckland during a day of winter..I believed that i would have warmed up in the hotel...Surprise! No heating in the room...! There was a penguin in the room!! If you tell me cheap i don't think cold...Terrible...Cheap in Europe doesn't mean a cold room...Never again! It was unbelievable..

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple