“It’s been better in the past”

Urban Soul Cafe Karaka
Ranked #520 of 2,427 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This is my local so I am grateful to have a beautiful cafe, bar, restaurant close by to our rural area. For this reason we will always go there now and again. It’s convenient (close to home and good access to the motorway) and the decor and environment is nice.
However the food isn’t what it used to be. I had the lamb sumac dish the other day which used to be my fav. On this most recent occasion - the lamb was so over cooked, dry, stringy and tasteless. I honestly think it had been boiled rather than slow roasted to fall off the bone. Speaking of bone, there was also bits of bone&joint in amongst the meat. It had obviously been shredded and plated haphazardly.
My daughters chicken tenders and chips were delicious though and have always been good. Coffee is good.
Most of the staff have changed. I Don’t recognise many faces anymore. It doesn’t feel as personable.
Keep going Urban Soul - you have a captive clientele in Karaka and the wider area. Keep them wanting to return.
Your cabinet food is always well presented but it would be nice to see some variation or changes of offerings sometimes.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

We had a fine meal. The service was great, without being overattentive. The dishes were well-presented and fairly priced.
The steak was superb.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Dined at Urban Soul last week. The service was quick and the food was lovely. Place has a great ambience and the coffee was perfect as well. Would highly recommend this café when stopping in Karaka.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

Have been twice before and it was better than today so have raised it to a 3 on the basis that last time was better.
If you are going to reheat pastries it has to be done properly. The spinach and cream cheese filo pasty came out the same colour as it had been present in the cool cabinet. People really rather wait and have it cooked properly - both that and the ham pastry were both barely luke warm and we had to send both back. By this stage the pork with potato had already been started on so he chose not to send back. I suspect because it came back so quickly (admittedly nice and hot) that it may have been microwaved as the colour of the pastry had not changed at all. It is my pet hate that so many cafe's don't cook pastry properly. The coffee was nice and tea served up in a lovely heavy pot which poured well. We did get the wrong wine but that was exchanged - I think perhaps the front desk my not have been experienced. Staff were very pleasant and helpful

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Went to this Cafe last week.. When seated was literally mobbed by flies and spent the whole time nearly doing a tap dance to keep the flies away.. when we told the waitress, she replied : yes we have been having problems... and were hoping to remedy it soon... we moved to the back part of the cafe.. not alot of flies, but never the less still uncomfortable eating.. my friend had the bacon and egg full breakfast, i had a filo pie and salad.. mine was boring, and tasteless, had a great lime milkshake, friends b&e breakfast she only rated as fair.. would not come back here again.