“Small but inventive menu”
Review of Punch Lane

Punch Lane
Ranked #57 of 4,622 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$4 - US$30
Cuisines: European, International, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: A Melbourne institution now in its 22nd year Punch Lane is situated at the Paris end of the CBD near Parliament . We are also in the theatre precinct and perfect for a pre/post show bite to eat . glass of wine or a plate of cheese . Our food style is Modern European with Australian overtones , there is an extensive range of wines by the glass as well as an array of beers and spirits . We are house in one of the original CBD police stations as we where situated in the heart of the red light district of the time . We also boast the original chairs from the Southern Cross Hotel which was the home of the Beatles during their Australian Tour . We look forward to seeing you for a relaxed lunch, a glass of wine or an intimate dinner.
Reviewed 3 August 2018

I love to travel alone because it gives me a different perspective on the places I visit, and it seems to test the patience of waitstaff. While my welcome at the restaurant was warm and friendly, my server seemed to feel obligatorily nice and efficient. Everything was lovely, I have no complaints - it's just an impression.

The food is the real standout here. (Apparently they are known as a wine bar, but I didn't have time to explore more thoroughly.) I don't normally order 3 courses, but I did - I couldn't say no to anything. Each dish was interesting and well-flavored; dessert was absolutely phenomenal, especially for someone who doesn't normally get to eat dessert in restaurants; and portions were large. If I traveled to Melbourne more regularly, this would be on the "repeat" list.

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us the kitchen was thrilled to read your comments about your food experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Punch lane has quickly become a favourite of ours when we visit Melbourne. From beautifully executed mains to simple but delicious charcuterie boards, the food here is fresh, exciting and there’s always something that takes our fancy!

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback , we are very happy with the food coming out the Punch kitchen and as you said it is about great product done simply ...

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

Punch Lane is always good and serves interesting meals. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is calm, quiet and a haven from the hustle and bustle. I had the pork terrine and then an entre as main. The staff are friendly but not intrusive. I’ll be back.

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2018

Thank you for your continued support of Punch Lane , if you happen to be in on a Thursday , Friday or Saturday evening please pop in to our new Sister venue next door in the basement ( Juliet Melbourne) and cosy up by the fire with a superb cocktail, there is also a wonderful selection for food on offer.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

great intimate place for dinner for any special occasion with an awesome choice of wines to go with every course.staff are friendly and knowledgeable. enjoy a great meal. I've been going there for years for my wedding anniversary.

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2018

Thank you for sharing and letting us know that we are part of your yearly wedding celebration, very special indeed ...

Reviewed 16 July 2018

Looking for a decent wine bar? Try Punch Lane. Good wine selection & great service. Lovely spot with different sized 'rooms' so it didn't feel like a barn. Good music that wasn't too loud either. It's slightly out of the way but well worth the effort to find.

MartinPirc, Owner at Punch Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2018

Thanks for going out of your way to join us and also for the positive vibes and words , hope to see you next time around .