“Looks better than it taste”
Review of Small-Fry

Small-Fry
Ranked #5 of 645 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place has an open kitchen design and makes you feel like you are watching master chef live. All his cooking skills, colour of food and display skill are excellent. But honestly the taste of food are just slightly above average.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Dear Small Fry, you need to really reconsider your attitude towards customers.
Dropping in for a coffee and brunch Easter Monday, my daughter's and I were looking forward to some great food and a respite from the chilly Hobart wind.

At 11am, the place was busy with customers, we entered into the premises which is small as the name suggests, in doing so we where told aggressively to wait outside.
We had no qualms about this other than the manner in which it was delivered.

A great eating experience is centered around food, company, and great service.
Sash coffee in Sandy Bay knows this as does Pollen in Battery Point. Small Fry, yes the food is good, but the sourness of the staff who appear to have utter contempt for their customers suggests it does not deserve the business it garners.

I suggest give it a miss, and try Pigeon Hole, Staight Up, Ginger Brown, just to name a few places that respect their customers.

1  Thank sarah15934
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As far as doughuts go, this is one of the best I have ever had. I assume that they change flavours all the time, but on our visit we ordered one classic cinnamon, and one chocolate and salted caramel. they were really fantastic and reasonnably priced.

We were here for breakfast and did not sample any of the savory-brunch items but everything that came out of the kitchen looked really really good.

Important notice: this is a very small place, everyone sits around the counter (~10-12 sits? ), so if you are not here early on a week end (before they open), you will probably need to wait, or order to take out (big take out queue as well on that day). Another downside is that this is a one man kitchen. This guy is really on top of everything which is quite impressive, BUT it is also very slow: we were the second people to sit down, and when we left, the other side of the counter were still waiting for their food. Sercice was a little bit all over the place too, some waitresses were a bit lost and messed up a few orders.

That being said, I am definetely coming back next time i am in Hobart.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The coffee was the best I’ve had so far in Tasmania. But after waiting 1 hour once we’d sat down for brekky I wouldn’t recommend this place, unless you’ve got hours to spend watching the chef cook and plate one dish at a time. Go for takeaway coffee or for food if you have nothing else planned for the day.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is the smallest restaurant I’ve ever visited (which alone is pretty cool) however the food and coffee also pack a pretty awesome punch! The other thing that makes this place so amazing (besides it’s size and amazing food and coffee) is you can literally watch the chef prepare all the dishes. It’s mesmerising! I literally could have watched him all day. The fit out is also worth checking out. Exposed brick, steel bench, concrete floor complete with corks running down one length. Gorgeous! Loved it! Will be back when we next visit Hobart.