“Comfort food from home”

Cuisines: Filipino
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We always like going to La Mesa whenever we get a craving for Filipino food. The usual suspects are there -- pork bbq, sinigang, sisig, beef steak, pinakbet, etc. We enjoyed their anniversary buffet last December and all our favorites were there. Then we've also tried the halo-halo and other sweet treats. Makes being far from the home country a lot easier.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

I was walking around Chinatown and saw this place purely by accident. I was tired of eating same Asian cuisine of Thai, Chinese , Japanese, Korean & Vietnamese... same things all the time so I thought time to explore other Asian cuisine.
Anyway, the place is well hidden from the street, you need to go a flight of stairs there are no wheel chair access.. the decor and ambience is traditionally Asian with a touch of Filipino ornaments and decorations on the walls. It’s good enough space.
I ordered 2 dishes, which was a Seafood Boulabaise style & the Bistik which is a special marinated beef slices, a cup of rice & of course the famous desert Halo-halo recommended to me.
The soup came which was generous in size. The crab was beautiful although the mussels were very chewy & so was the bistik.
I loved the bistik because I don’t mind the chewy meat, I know that it’s their style to serve chewy meat..I enjoyed its tasty marinade that I ate the whole plate of it.
I liked the soup however it seemed plain to me since it did not have any spice or chilli to it.
I LOVE the Halo-Halo.. which is a desert of mixed fruits & jelly with shaved ice, milk & ice cream .. that was the highlight of the meal.. I also ordered other dishes to take home with me, which is the Cridpy Pata, Fried deboned Milkfish, Cassava Cake & Sweet Turon.
My kids loved it. So I made another booking to take my whole family this March 9.They had a lot of exotic unheared dishes in the menu which I am so curious to taste..
The staff were so lovely and accommodating and helpful..& I can’t wait to eat Halo-Halo again...

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

New to Sydney and been craving for filipino food, la mesa was the closest filipino restaurant. On arrival a nice lady will welcome you and take you to your table, we ordered 3dishes, sisig, daing na bangus and crispy pata. First the sisig, i didnt expect much not being in Philippines trying to get an authentic pork face sisig is nearly impossible, most restaurants will westernised most food and the authenticity is gone. With this sisig the taste was good, it had a mix of im just assuming part of pork face and pork meat. So it exceeded my expectations. The second dish daing na bangus, i love fish, and daing na bangus i loved it, it was marinated well, the flavour was good, but the same my expectations wasn't high, however i enjoyed the bangus, don't expect fresh bangus being is Australia. The final dish crispy pata! Wow! It was crispy, the serving was big, i cant get enough of it, the sauce that it came with was also a good pair for the meat. Ask for fresh chilli to mix with the sauce. Overall, i would recommend it to friends and family, i would go back again and try different dish.

PS. Keep it as authentic as possible please.

1  Thank Andr3w_A
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

The Lechong Kawali was crispy yet somehow bland, even with the accompanying sauce. The Kare Kare was also light on flavour. Service was fine. The dishes were expensive considering their quality.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

As a Filipino American, I thought the food was meh meh, but I have to represent my culture, and give it a 4. The pansit was the best dish, and was smooth with the vegetables, and almost tasted like my Granma's. The adobo was very dry, fried rice was a little overcooked, and the waiter was not as attentive for not many people being in the restaurant. The decor was nice, and it was a nice place, but it is definitely not a most go restaurant.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member