“Penguin passport”

Ranked #84 of 490 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Embark on a journey of amazing discovery through SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium’s extraordinary themed zones including the Penguin Expedition. This world-first ride-through experience will take explorers on journey to meet our spectacular sub-Antarctic King and Gentoo penguins as they are transported on a raft at a cool six degrees Celsius. Get face-to-fin with over 13,000 animals from 700 different species in an impressive six million litres of water as you explore South Coast Shipwreck, Dugong Island, Shark Valley and the world’s largest Great Barrier Reef display. Meet our resident dugong, Pig, at Dugong Island to learn all about his heart-warming rescue story. Then, face your fears at Shark Valley, a 100 metre ocean-tunnel walk-through amongst jaw-some sharks and skeletal whale remains! Make sure you join in with our interactive daily talks, or book ahead to join us for a Penguin Passport experience, a behind-the-scenes fish feeding or take the plunge with the new Shark Dive Xtreme!
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Penguin passport was awesome.. me and my partner loved it we learnt so much and enjoyed every minute of it. Heather one of the guides was such a lovely and nice girl. My partner and I came on Easter Sunday. The aquarium was packed. It was very hot that day so it was stuffy.. we had a wonderful time

Duty M, Manager at Sea Life Sydney Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Hello Sophie R,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great view. We are stoked to hear that you enjoy the Penguin Passport experience and your guide Heather. She is definitely an asset to the team and is full of interesting fishy facts, that she loves to share.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,199)
All reviews
in 439 reviews
"underwater"
in 184 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Not sure what to think - positives, friendly staff, lots of animals, informative, children loved the paw patrol characters(!), penguin boat ride - negatives, I thought the enclosures were small and some of the animals appeared to be swimming in circles, which wasn't nice to see, very hot inside and some of the areas are quite cramped. Glad we went, maybe just struggling with the ethics of it...

Duty M, Manager at Sea Life Sydney Aquarium, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Hi

Thankyou so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback!

We are busiest in the middle of the day so we do recommend coming early morning or later in the afternoon.
Our penguins do have the freedom to venture on the ice over the bridge or in the water whenever they like. We do pride ourselves on creating exhibits based on natural environments. Our Macquarie island exhibit has been specifically design to house around 100 birds and at present we have 26 Gentoo and n7 kings. Penguins are highly social animals and are happiest when they are in a large colony group. They feel calm in the knowledge that they are in the correct place, i.e. they haven’t swam to the wrong island for breeding.

All the best and we hope to see you again soon
cheers

Reviewed 3 April 2018

As the aquarium is in a small space, there is a lot of walking between the attractions. This is where the queues banked up immensely, with people moving in a non-orderly fashion. However, was there on a public holiday, so this was to be expected. GET A PRE-PAID TICKET TO SKIP THE LINE!!! could have done with more staff to assist movement through the aquarium. Needs a bit of paint and some maintenance work done. Looks downtrodden, however, I do see money going to support the wildlife, which was positive.

Hello Rachyand Jo, thank you taking the time to write a review. It is a great suggestion to purchase tickets through our website to skip the queues.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I bought the I-Adventure 3 attraction pass. Aquarium is located at Darling Harbour. There are many marine life and an interesting place to spend at least 2 hours. There are sharks, mantaray, dugong. The aquarium has many sections. Must visit if you are in Sydney. We had fun.

Tank you for writing such an awesome review!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I’m came here with my two year old nephew. I was flying solo, and although the venue is pushchair friendly, it was tiring pushing it and carrying a sweaty toddler. There are a lot of ramps / a lot of walking, and it’s very hot inside.

There was a good range of sea creatures, and spread out. The penguin ride was very short - given the positive reviews I was expecting to see a lot more. We also didn’t see any dugongs, which was a disappointment.

I bought my ticket online - although the payment went through successfully, I never got a confirmation email. Luckily the people at the counter were able to retrieve my booking.

1  Thank Sarah_nz31

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Happy to hear that the admissions team was able to retrieve your booking and you enjoyed our range of SEA LIFE.