“Overall great food but service needs to step up.”
Review of Spice Temple

Spice Temple
Ranked #201 of 6,846 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: This is a restaurant by the famous Neil Perry, one of the top chefs in Sydney
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Booked on DIMMI. Arrived 10 mins late so had to wait 25 minutes for a table. Not a great start, particularly since I’d received about 6 reminder messages from Dimmi leading up to the evening asking me to confirm my attendance at the booking. Ordered the banquet for 2 at $80pp. Particularly excited about the kung pow chicken (might’ve been called something else on the menu) which my boyfriend had talked up. It was nice, I love chilli, but the dish was 80% chilli 20% chicken. To be fair though there was a lot of food so we certainly weren’t hungry. Crispy pork belly was AMAZING and sides were great. They served a very saucy fish dish without rice so I asked for some. I must admit I really felt like we were hindering the waitresses from looking after a table of 3 more important (rather shady looking) people sitting nearby. I’m assuming they were some kind of high profile bunch because they were getting a level of service 10x higher we were. I must however say that a particularly attentive waiter named “Mark” saved the evening. He was amazing and certainly made up for the disappointing service we were (or weren’t) getting from the surly waitresses. In the end it was a great meal. Waitresses need to step up their game or get a gig where they dont have to wait on people.

Reviewed 13 July 2018

My wife and I had dinner at Spice Temple. Apparently it is fairly difficult to get a reservation, at least on some nights. We had made our reservation prior to leaving the U.S. Food was excellent. Presentation was done very well. Service was excellent. Definitely a trend setting place in Sydney. My wife and I are just shy of 60 and I commented to her during our dinner that there was only one other couple I could see in our age group. But even if you are older don't be put off by this statement if you enjoy good Asian food. We entered and only saw a set of stairs to access the restaurant but their web site says handicap accessible so there has to be an elevator.

1  Thank vaughanm1976
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Nice food and lots of it! We had banquet 1 on advice of the waitress. Good advice...nice variety and flavours. As much as we thought it may be inappropriate we asked if we were able to take away the unconsumed food and were surprised by the resounding yes (many others were doing the same we noticed). Great service and helpful staff.Thanks

Reviewed 10 July 2018

VERY EXPENSIVE.
Food ok but not as great as you would expect. The service was very very average. Unsmiling , Disinterested and frankly we felt like we were an imposition to even be there. You need to lift your game Spice Temple , as you wont be able to get away with it for much longer. We wont be back!

2  Thank Peter O
Reviewed 9 July 2018

We took clients here and had the set menu. Unfortunately they had to leave before the dessert arrived as it was so slow to come out.

The food is perfectly reasonable but at this price I didn't feel any wow factor. But really, the kicker was the slow service. We were waiting at least 20 minutes on every course after we had finished the first course. I told the guy who we got to take our payment and he just went 'oh, ok.'

Nothing wrong with it, but the food at nearby China Lane is just as good (arguably better) with better service.

2  Thank michaelthorns