“Great Ethiopian ”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ethiopian Cafe and Restaurant
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I had the combination injera and I loved each of little curry dish on it. The food size was good to fill me. The dishes were not too spicy and my toddler loved it too. Good atmosphere and location made our experience even better. Couldn’t expected any more.

1  Thank Kavita B

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

My experience was a little different from all the other reviews. Maybe the chef was having an off night (late on Tuesday night) but I thought the dishes were boring and uninteresting. We ordered takeaway and started with spinach and cheese fetera which were heavy and oily. Red lentil curry was just ok but watery and lacking flavour. My wife had a takeaway lentil curry from the Indian restaurant next door and the comparison between the two was fascinating. I’ll leave you to guess which one was eaten and which was thrown out. Beetroot and potato stew was not pleasant at all - I could not eat it - and the gomen tasted like it had been reheated too many times so that the potatoes were now unrecognisable. The injera were very sour compared to ones I’ve eaten before in other Ethiopian restaurants. Maybe we’ll try our luck on another night ...

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Visited this delightful restaurant with my family and so pleased we read other TripAdvisor reviews. They were all so spot on! From the moment we sat down, the lovely Tigis welcomed us with a big smile and from then on the service and food was absolutely beautiful. We had the cheese and spinach bread and pumpkin balls (watch the chilli sauce that accompanies both, the red one is seriously hot, very seriously hot!). Then a chicken and beef dish plus two vego dishes. All deliciously spiced and reasonably priced The rice and/injera came with the meal which is a rare thing these days! The most amazing thing was that this young woman cooked everything herself, and was on her own in the restaurant! Not the slightest bit stressed or under pressure, she smiled and served up food to a busy restaurant...herself. . Can’t recommend this highly enough.

1  Thank Kerri P
Reviewed 8 February 2018

What a gem! We chose this place at random in a one night visit to Coffs Harbour and couldn't have been more impressed. The young lady who owns and runs the business is just delightful, and has a fascinating story to tell. The name of the restaurant, Mana Chita, is the Ethiopian word for the type of grass-thatched mud hut in which the young lady grew up in during her childhood in Ethiopia. A fascinating story told by an absolutely delightful young lady.

And the food was wonderful. We shared three dishes between two of us and each was superb. We had a goat, a chicken and a beef dish and each was beautifully spiced and wonderfully tasty. Accompanied by rice and a traditional bread, this was a fantastic meal. And if you like your curries searingly hot, they have some of these here also.

This really is a restaurant which deserves to do well. How wonderful it was to have a choice in a rural town of something other than the usual Chines, Indian and Thai. An exceptional meal made all the more wonderful by the delightful lady who served us. I couldn't recommend this place more highly.

2  Thank markjackson100
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We had heard so much about “Mana Chita” but had never had the opportunity to try it out until last weekend. Saturday night, ended up being a full house but the food and service were fabulous. The food was filling and extremely flavoursome. We had both meat and vegetarian dishes and they were top class.
Thank you Tigi, we will be back for sure!!!