“Tartare and Bouillabaisse”

Buvette Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #56 of 1,580 Restaurants in Canberra
Price range: US$5 - US$66
Description: At Buvette Bistro, we use fresh, quality ingredients to deliver seasonal menus showcasing the best of locally-sourced produce. Our French menu spans from shared plates, charcuterie & appetisers, grill, all day dining and decadent desserts, accompanied by a comprehensive wine list.
Reviewed 28 February 2016

Book in on the advice of a friend, and it was well worth it. Steak tartare was divine and the bouillabaisse had a deep flavour with perfectly cooked fish. My partner had Onion soup and cheese shuffle, which, also, were well flavoured. Would definitely eat here again.

2  Thank Simon A

Reviewed 26 February 2016

We live in the building so we are regulars. I was born and bred in Paris so we are delighted to have this lovely, elegant brasserie style restaurant at our doorstep. There was clearly a lot of attention to detail in the fit out and general ambiance. The banquettes are comfortable and the outside sitting area is also very iniviting - love the soft lighting. The menu is not extensive but dishes like the cheese soufflé or egg mimosa are very well executed. The bread is fresh, but the basket should be left on the table not whisked away. The desserts are of a good French standard. The apple tart, while not as nice as tarte tatin, works. The bombe Alaska is a bit bland. While I understand that Buvette is aiming to provide a light take on French cuisine, it would be good to see more standard brasserie fare. I would kill for a real croque Monsieur! The item on the menu called croque Monsieur bears no relation to the real thing, and it very annoying to be presented with something that is more like a Reuben sandwich. Anybody who has spent 5 minutes in Paris knows and loves a good croque-Monsieur with bechamel. If buvette could master that, the lunchtime clientele would grow. I, for one would pass the word around to all my colleagues (also work across the road...). It would allso be a good idea to have a plat du jour for the regulars like me, otherwise the small menu can seem a bit limited. This is meant to be constructive criticism for a restaurant that does a lot of things very well. Will report in another month.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

The setting is lovely and the staff very attentive. As mentioned by others, the fresh bread is delicious and the butter at spreadable temperature which is a sign that they pay attention to detail, so I was looking forward to my meal. I had the Scott fillet, rare for $38. It came out with a plain leaf salad and serve of chips. This is basically your typical RSL fare, cooked well but presented exactly the same way. I followed it with a $17 apple tart. The ice-cream was nice, but the tart was dry and almost beyond the capacity of my cutlery to cut. I have made that exact tart myself at home. I was seated in a row with a couple of other solo diners and we all had the same view - lovely place, great service, but the menu selection and dishes need a bit more imagination so you don't feel like you're eating an expensive home cooked meal - or lower the price and promote the very competent homey style of the meals.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

Buvette has a décor reminiscent of a Parisian bistrot and effectively delivers on that promise, in a city not known for delivering on promises. From the bread to the coffee, everything was perfect. My one criticism is that I ordered from the wine list only to be told, after some time, that the restaurant could not find that wine - not that it was sold out, but that it couldn't be found - which I thought very odd. The clearly very inexperienced server told me a better wine would be provided at the same price but I remain unconvinced. Anyway, the food was terrific and the staff, if inexperienced, were very friendly and solicitous.

1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Gordon Ramsey would have a field day in this restaurant. We arrived without a reservation and told a table would be available in 30 mins - that was Ok as we went next door and had a pre-dinner drink. We returned at the allotted time and ordered dinner - as stated in the titile the entre of two salads took 45 mins to delivery. Our wine had, however, been served almost immediately - no this would have been an opportunity to make some money and serve, or at the very least, ask if we wanted another drink. This didn't happen - nor was the wine we ordered with the main served - which took a further 45 mins to serve. We noticed at another table 5 of a group of six were served their mains and by the time the 6th person was served they had all finished. They did, however, have the good grace to reduce our bill - it actually stated "long wait"! Say no more.

1  Thank pemberman