“local crafts”

Museo de Artesanias Oaxaquenas
Ranked #5 of 14 things to do in Crucecita
Reviewed January 12, 2018

As previously noted, this is more of a retail shop than a museum BUT the grandson [three generations work in the shop] can provide a great description of how the goods are produced, how the dyes are made and the stories behind the weaving. Prices are reasonable, given the quality and you are supporting local artists.

All reviews
"souvenirs"
"runners"
"dying"

Reviewed April 27, 2017 via mobile

This is not so much a "museum" as it is a retail store for Oaxaca handicrafts. It has weaving looms and craft demonstrations that were interesting to watch. But beware: the employees, while knowledgeable in crafts, can be VERY pushy when it comes to selling you expensive goods.

I had expressed interest in weaving (I took a course in it once), and as a result I had to contend with a hard sell to buy a $300 US rug that, while it looked nice, was not something I actually wanted or needed. I expressed interest in something smaller, like a placemat, and the employee discouraged me from buying that and kept steering me toward the pricey rugs. I ended up making an excuse to leave the store in order to escape being guilt-tripped into making a purchase.

Reviewed April 11, 2017

Our guides insisted we stop here and see the process in which they produce their beautiful woven pieces. From carding the fleece, spinning the yarn, dying the yarn with natural dies and then weaving the tableclothes, runners, rugs and more. They do an absolute beautiful job and the prices are excellent. Would recommend this stop for everyone young or old.

Reviewed April 6, 2017 via mobile

We visited the Museo de Artesanias to learn more about the local products that are made in the area. We also bought a few things to support the local people. You can find all different kinds of products. Compared to other shops it was a bit pricey but the quality seems to be a bit higher. We also joined a group of older Mexican ladies that got an overview of the history of the area and the craftsmanship. The Museo is definitely a place you should visit

See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2017

This is a store that has many hand made treasures to take home with you! We bought a black pottery vase and had great service both times we were in the shop. Everything was explained very well and there was not the huge pressure to buy like other shops we were in. My vase was wrapped carefully for travel and made it back to Canada in perfect condition.

1  Thank scmaggs