“Incredible food. Great service. Well worth a visit. ”
Review of The Fox's Revenge

The Fox's Revenge
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We booked for six over the Easter holiday and we were immediately taken by the building and the aesthetic. It looks great and slightly quirky, giving plenty of things to look at and appreciate.

We were taken by how loud it was, chairs on hard floors and exuberant guests made it nearly impossible to have a conversation for me as I have hearing loss and my hearing aids just couldn't cut it. We asked the waitress if we could move and we were given a lovely table in a quieter area.

The staff are great here. Young, attentive and slightly informal, which we liked.

The order was taken and first drinks all arrived promptly. The starters were sublime.

The meatballs are incredible. As are the Mac and cheese balls. Every single plate on the table was clean, even a couple of slightly fussy children.

Then it got really busy and things went slightly wrong, the bottle of wine didn't turn up, but to the credit of the staff they noticed and sent a bottle before we chased them, and they didn't charge for it.

The main meals were delicious. We had a snag with my meal as I requested no mushroom due to an allergy, but it arrived with them on and had to be re-cooked making my meal arrive quite a while after the rest.

However.. All the food was impeccable. The steaks were amazing, the vegetarian option wonderful and the children's burgers were just the right size, and full of flavour. I'd want to see a better biscuit or bread with the cheese board, but the rest of the deserts were very very good.

I don't do five star reviews often. The fact that we had a few easily excusable and perfectly remedied snags made me consider why I still feel its a five star restaurant. The restaurant was just so busy, and given this I'd be making those mistakes too! But despite all the hustle and bustle of the busy service, the food was excellent, the service staff incredible, and the meal a long and leisurely experience that we will definitely want to repeat again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

First Impressions Good. A picturesque old building set in a secluded location. Inside the first seats look stylish and comfy with sofas near an open fire. However, we were seated in the back with cracked walls and an eclectic mix of chairs, some metal which weren't great in the colder weather. Various wall art with a feeling of shabby chic but more shabby than chic. The toilets could do with an overhaul with lumps out of walls and generally not finished.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The lunchtime menu good value for a main and dessert but works out expensive if you just have the mains. The food all served on wooden platters with fries in old tin drinking mugs! Overall food satisfactory but parts of chicken in sandwich burnt and ordered two lots of cheeseburgers without bacon and both came with bacon!
A reasonable lunch but wouldn't rush back. Think the outdoor area would be nice on a summer's day.
Had high hopes from first appearance but didn't quite meet expectations.

1  Thank Shackpilot
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Recently went there for a cream tea with friends sadly it wasn’t for me . The scones were cold and sandwiches very odd selection on brioche buns which made them sickly sweet cold bacon and salad sandwich salmon or egg but bland tasting . Large brownies and churros all extremely sweet !!! Just not for me I was hoping for cucumber or cheese and a selection of cakes or pudding . It was hard work getting extra hot water and a plentiful amount of tea and coffee should have been included for £14.50 and £17.50 each. I feel poor value for money and I wouldn’t recommend the venue for a cream tea experience .

2  Thank Karenza F
Reviewed 15 March 2018

This was absolutely lovely. I had the lamb and Chorizo pie and my husband didnt even get a look in. He had the beef cheeks which he said was excellent. Staff were friendly.
I thought I was full but could manage a stciky toffee pudding... sooo glad I did. best I have ever had.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Excellent service and pet friendly , good idea to book on weeekends, not overly priced and good selection of wines