“Mismanaged - perhaps still bedding in?”
Review of The Sportsman

The Sportsman
Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Tadworth
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Built in 1532 the Sportsman used to be used as a stop off for the Royal family when out hunting. Situated on the edge of Walton Heath, Lower Kingswood the venue was sensitively renovated in August 2008. It is in a unique location, at the end of Mogador road, just off the A217, Lower Kingswood. It benefits from no through traffic. The spacious bar area has been extensively refurbished and now offers a country environment with modern standards of service. The restaurant is elegant, spacious and typical English in it's design. Seats 50+. The Sportsman is very well known for its fantastic outside garden areas which can seat up to 150 people. Car Park for 60 cars. Due to a superb country location The Sportsman is perfect for dog walkers, horse riders, runners, cyclists and families.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Only one vegetarian dish on offer, Hallumi burger + chips which put up a fight every mouthful. Spicy sweetcorn soup inedibly spicy even for someone who likes spicy food. Fish pie comprised 1 prawn, minimal fish, mostly mashed spud. "Banter" between staff felt more like simmering resentment, poor excuses by management didn't wash, though at least she remain calm and reassuring.
New parking arrangement discouraging random non-patron dog-walkers works well for pub-visitors, plenty of space to park safely.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (490)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lunch was lovely however I have potientally been double charged by the app showing an error and the manager doesn't seem to believe or want to help.

As soon as the second payment came out I phoned and spoke to the manager. They said it would 99% automatically be refunded into my account so I'd need to wait a week. I explained that it wasn't a pending payment, I had already waited a few days for it to clear. However, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited.

As it had not been refunded more than a week later I phoned twice more - the manager wasn't in, so they told me to leave my number and they would call me back as only the manager could deal with this. No one ever rang....

At this point I was tempted to give up as the double charge was under £12 And simply not worth the effort.

I rang once more. They said manager was in the kitchen so may not be able to speak about it.. I said that I'd left my number before so really wanted to speak to them.

The manager attitude seemed like they didn't care or they didn't believe me. They said I'd have to come in with all the proof. That is fair enough but I explained that it was a 40m drive each way so not really practical. They didn't offer any other solution, so I asked if I could email it all in instead.
They said yes and then gave me the wrong email (they said .com and the email bounced) after googling I found it was .co.uk and resent.

However no one has responded to my email in a week - and I feel it has been ignored. I won't waste anymore time visiting again or ringing again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Popped in after long dog walk with a friend .. gorgeous glass of chilled Monrose Rose wine and ordered the freshly made minced steak burger (4oz) and homemade chips and slaw .. honestly the best pub grub Iv had in ages … so reasonable too .. will be telling all my dog walking pals to pop In here for sure! Thank u ✅

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stopped at The Sportsman on a whim whilst our walking the dog on Banstead Common.
We had friendly service and extremely generous portions of roast chicken and steak and ale pie, both of which were delicious. This is also a great spot for dogs and horses, but it won't help any weight loss goals.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The pub is dark, with unfriendly bar staff, although the lady who took our car regs was nice.
Food is passable only but the coffee was terrible. Could have been instant. The beer garden is basic, with lots of barking dogs.
Won't be going back.