“Simple food, prepared perfectly”

Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Big Sur
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2016

This is our favorite restaurant in Big Sur when we're here on vacation. The menu isn't huge, and on the surface it seems somewhat straightforward, but it's so much more than that. Everything is executed perfectly, from the apps to the desserts. Service is great, the atmosphere is lovely, and it's not too expensive. Love this place.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

Stopped to get gas and the wife popped in to get a snack. We got a couple of pastries. Unnnnnnbelievable. The flakiness, freshness, sweetness, all great. We were very disappointed to have missed dinner but maybe you can go. Don't miss it if you're passing through.

Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

There is bread and then there is Big Sur Bakery sour dough bread. Simply outstanding. Unbelievably flavorful, lovely crisp lightly chewy crust on the outside, then soft lighter than air texture on the inside. My husband and I could not get enough of it - so mouthwatering good! Before we left, we bought a giant loaf to take with us to savor the flavor again at home. Loved the warm, welcoming ambience of the cafe and bakery itself, and also the very helpful and friendly waitstaff. It was very busy but that did not affect the calm, unhurried, mellow overall dining experience. My husband ordered the eggs and sausage while I had the multigrain pancake with fruit compote/preserves for breakfast - both were excellent and we savored every delicious bite. We will definitely return again to try their lunch menu when we are in the area again.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Delicious!
My husband and I visited at a recommendation of a friend.
Great choice!
The brussel sprouts were my favorite! The mussels special was delicious.
The cheese pizza that we shared was also great.
We will be back when we visit Big Sur again!

Reviewed 2 September 2016

I ate here for dinner, with my wife, on a whim, as the hour was getting late and our drive up Highway 1 was not getting us to Carmel before dinner hour. My wife and I shared a steak with a side, a large salad, and dessert. Everything was delicious. It was well prepared with good, fresh ingredients and while not fussy, the cook was creative with the flavors. I had a beer and we both had coffee with our dessert. The bill came to $105 including a 29% tip.....the service was very good. The night before, I had paid $100 for a meal at a Tapas place in Carmel and had resented it....At the Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant I gladly paid the bill. Hey, let's face it, nothing is cheap in this part of California. So all I ask is that it's delicious if you're going to ask a substantial price for a meal...this place delivered. I'd go back. I've also been here for breakfast, last year. I had a coffee an croissant. That meal was also very good.