“Wonderful....just wonderful”
Review of The Sur House

The Sur House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sur House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Price range: US$35 - US$75
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Restaurant at Ventana is situated 1200 feet above the rugged Big Sur coast with views of the Pacific Ocean. The culinary team is lead by Executive Chef Paul Corsentino, who uses only the freshest, organic ingredients to create simple cuisine with vibrant flavors. His menus are driven by his commitment to supporting the local farming community. Chef Corsentino's experience is brought to life in each daily menu he creates. Chef and his team are known for daring and diverse foods with inventive recipes both comforting and decadent, offering something for every palate. A locally inspired, sommelier selected wine list offers many options for food and wine pairings. Seasonal cocktails and California craft beers are available to enjoy in the cozy lounge area or outdoors next to the grand fireplace.
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Thank Garmin for finding this place as it isn't all that easy!

We were very impressed with the layout of the property with most everything in progress.
The parking lot was nicely paved and thankful for that as it is rather steep. If you can park up above by the restaurant great ...or drop people off otherwise park downhill and walk up.

We were shown to a large covered area with several tables and the views were fantastic! It is about 600' altitude with great views of the hillside and out to the ocean. Out waiter was very good and very friendly.

My partner had a chicken sandwich that was so loaded with chicken, he couldn't eat it all for about $16. He loved it! I had the Chiopio (spell check) which is a nice bowl of seafood with clams, halibut, cod and crab and maybe something else in a broth that really the best ever! The only way it could be better is if there was more of it! This was about the best I've even had...really! Perhaps, it was the broth that made the whole dish come together and I suspect that was the case but, having fresh seafood really mades it good too.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I miss the old Ventana! Especially the old, more casual, lunch menu. I was so excited for them to reopen, drove down for lunch, but it was not a good experience. Prices are high and portions are small. It was hot outside so we sat on the patio. I ordered a "Crab Louie" salad, showed up looking like a small Caesar, missing key ingredients like the hard boiled egg and avocado. I asked a waiter why the ingredients were missing and after 15 minutes of three of them scrambling and trying to work with the kitchen, the waiter brought me a plate with egg and avocado on it. He said no one knows why they didn't put the egg on the salad and that avocado doesn't actually come on it, but that they will change the menu so it doesn't say that it does. Meanwhile, my salad sat in the hot sun while they figured it out. Never did they offer to remake the salad, nor did they comp it or offer anything else except the "sorry, we don't know why". My boyfriend ordered a broccoli salad that also showed up looking very different from the description, and was tiny. So those two salads and one glass of white wine ran us $60, for basically a snack. We decided not to order anything else and left disappointed.

1  Thank alldaytripper
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I have always enjoyed dining at Ventana either inside the restaurant or outside on the patio with fabulous views of the ocean. I have seen whales during the migration season. The food is excellent and I enjoy the innovation and creativity of the chef. I have been to Ventana several with both friends and family and it is always pleasurable.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Great restaurant overall, with a beautiful view of Big Sur Oceanside. It's entrance is located on the side of Highway 01 and you can see why its called Ventana: its a hill climb up to the top, where the restaurant is located. Its a must go if you're located near Big Sur, California.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

This is such a sweet Big Sur spot for dining. Delightful staff and delicious food and wine. I love the fireplace area near the bar and the beautiful outside space to watch the sun set.

Ventana M, Manager at The Sur House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

Dear Erinrafa2014

Thank you for your review, we look forward to host you again in our just renovated restaurant.

Best Regards

MF

Been to The Sur House? Share your experiences!