“Loved it, don't understand other reviews!”

Whale Watchers Cafe
Ranked #20 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 10 August 2016

I really loved this place as a nice stop on our trip up the Pacific Coast Highway. The food was great and had a great atmosphere-- right on the edge of the sea-- fantastic views. It was a little pricey, but it's the only place around in that area. I found it worth it. The place was packed but they got us a table quickly. They had this incredible sauce on every table "Pepper Plant California Hot Sauce" which was available in the gift shop-- it is so good!! You have to try the hot sauce!

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Stopped for lunch... Place was full except for one table. Waiter motioned us to the empty spot and tossed a couple of menus on the table. Same guy did this with everyone else who came in after us. Our particular waiter seemed to have too many tables. Brought the wrong order to our table. After I had begun to look inside the sandwich to see if it was what I had ordered, he came back, snatched up and brought what I ordered in a few minutes.

Food was OK, but it is a bit pricey. Wish I had paid more attention to TA and stopped elsewhere for lunch.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

There are very few restaurants to stop at on route 1 in The Big Sur and this looked so cute. I don't know if our server was really new but it took forever to just get non alcoholic drinks. It was very expensive. $11.50 for a bowl of chili. The atmosphere was definitely cute but it was a good thing we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

This is a fun place to eat! Great views! Unique stop! Food was average but expensive!!! There is a small grocery store right next door that you can get sandwiches and stuff. We didn't know that til after we ate or we would have done that!
Overall just a fun stop!

Reviewed 23 July 2016

First it is expensive and secondly the quality of the food is bad. It does not feel genuinely prepared. Also there is a long toilet line for the restaurant guest. And when you finally get there you realize the restrooms are not been taken care of. I guess people stay here because of no other option. Ragged Point, further down the road, also has only one restaurant which success factor is the same - they are the only option.

I can not say anything good about this place except that they are accepting credit cards.

Been to Whale Watchers Cafe? Share your experiences!