Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
  • Breakfast included
Acamaya Reef(Puerto Morelos)
Good 3.5/5
11,614 results
All reviewsratatouilleveranda barmain poolanna bananaentertainment staffsilver sandsel patiopreferred clubworld cafejuan joseroom servicebarracuda barseaside grillour honeymooninfinity poolother resortspartial ocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Visited SSS three years ago and thought it was just great. Aside from an issue with seaweed, I had only positive things to say. So when I got a great price on a great place, a return visit was a no brainer.
The facility, the staff, the food, everything was just as my wife and I remembered it...including the seaweed problem. Those poor men on the beach started at sunrise and raked all day long. The tractor picked up seaweed as well, but with the wind and tide it was certainly a losing effort. Don't get me wrong, you can go in the water, and certainly walking the beach is not an issue. Just don't expect pristine blue waters. With all that said, if you want to get wet, use the numerous pools as they are of a reasonable temperature and sparkling clean.
One other minor issue...the alcohol. The last trip the main bars carried Don Julio Tequila, Bombay Sapphire Gin, and I believe Grey Goose Vodka....you will now only find those liquors in the Preferred Club. The bars still have premium alcohol, but not PREMIUM alcohol. Not a deal breaker, but something you should know if you are planning a trip to SSS and want top, top shelf.
Now the restaurants get very busy from 6:15 until around 8:00 so plan accordingly. We never waited more than 20-25 minutes though as the staff does a good job of moving people, not rushing you mind you, but serving lots of people. If you want to eat a little earlier or a little later, you can probably walk right in and get a seat.
OK...is SSS worth a third trip, by all means yes. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Secrets brand...period.

Room Tip: Had a room on the third floor of Building One, it was an ideal location with a pool view.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I spent 10 nights at SSS and were very sad to leave. I have never experienced such incredible service and everyone was extremely friendly. A special mention goes out to Mar, Miguel, Dillan, Felipe and Gustavo however all the staff went out of their way to ensure you had a good stay. We loved our suite and the choices for food were limitless. We would highly recommend this beautiful resort and hope to return!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Here is a breakdown of all of the things you need to know for your stay. We stayed in an oceanfront preferred club...but you don't need to be a preferred club guest to be treated awesome. If you do want to have an oceanfront room they are all preferred club. The resort is easy to walk around.

Service: Simple amazing, almost everyone will go out of their way to make you feel special...you never have to wait and are never told "no"...they will find a way to make it happen. After talking to a few employees, it is good to know that this resort treats them well...they are truly happy to work here. Lots of waiters throughout the day to take drink orders. Ice cream cart, sunglass cleaner and pool concierge to provide towels and organize your lounge chair choice if you want.

Entertainment team is amazing - Charlie is outstanding and really wants everyone to have a great time. Shows are average to very good. Lots of activities throughout the day. There is always live music throughout the evening inside and out.

Food: It is top notch...the buffet is open for breakfast and lunch...there are so many choices. Dinner is A La Carte...the food choices are excellent...however in looking at menus many food is cooked with heavy sauces. Since they offer 24 hour room service you can always get something you want without dressing up if you want. Food is always on time, hot and the service is outstanding! THIS RESORT GOES OUT OF ITS WAY, to make sure food allergies and preferences are taken care of. They have a blender for smoothies in the morning...in case you need a protein shake...bring your own powder.

Drinks: For alcohol...It is low to mid range...you need to ask for Stoli, Smirnoff, Barcardi, Jose Cuervo, etc. if you want it in your drink. They do have great drink menus...you can have a lot of fun trying many different drinks...bartenders don't rush you and will make whatever you want. ...and yes, for our fellow Canadians...they have Clamato Juice to make a Caesar!

Preferred Club: Other than the room location oceanfront...preferred club offers a lounge and a very small buffet with continental breakfast and a limited number of snacks throughout the day. This is the only place to get top notch alcohol...however they have no blender to mix drinks...also I am not so sure the real thing is in the bottles because the Real Bailey's was not the same colour as usual and tasted just like their brand at the regular bars.

Rooms: Lots of space...nicely decorated...yes no drawers...but the closets have enough shelves and hangers...so no worries...shower water is hot. TV has about 5 English Channels...including the NFL Network...football! Our terrace was awesome (oceanfront) and cannot be beat. Yes, the room could use a bit of an update, but it's really nice...bed is comfy. One note: the patio doors are hard to lock properly. Also, air conditioner is cold, which is awesome, but you might freeze a little at times.

There are 8 pools...from very relaxing infinity, private behind the building seclusion, to the Party On Pool...great choices for all...there is both beach and pool volleyball.

Ocean water is murky and rocky...yes, seaweed too! The beach is white sand...if you go for a walk you can only go left of the resort.

An amazing resort...so much to do...or you can relax and really, really have a memorable time. Food, drink, activities, entertainment are all there for your enjoyment. I would definitely recommend this as a great Carribean resort!

Room Tip: Preferred Oceanfront rooms are amazing...swim out rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rick O
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked this trip very last minute (1 week out), I got an amazing deal and all my needs were met! This was a quick trip to revive, renew and rejuvenate, I stayed 3 night 3/26 - 3/29. I used BD travel for transportation to and from the resort, as always they were wonderful! The resort is just about 20 minutes from CUN airport, upon arrival I was greeted by bell hop, given a glass of champagne and escorted to the check in desk. Uneventful and quick, they go over resort offerings and spa options, the also do a quick pitch about their preferred members club, after listening I told them I was not interested they said ok and it was never mentioned again during my stay. I was then escorted to my room which was upgraded from a pool view to pool/ocean view!

In no particular order I'll give pros and cons

PROS:

The staff ( entertainment, front desk, grounds keepers, bell hop, room service, spa workers, beach/pool bar staff....EVERYONE!) makes this place all that it is, they are nice, fun, energetic ALWAYS spoke with a smile. I'm not usually one to participate in entertainment activities but Mayra, Omar and Charlie have a way of breaking you out of your shell. Mayra asked my name once on day of arrival and never asked again but always called my name as she walked by or to participate in events. I was truly impressed. The water aerobics, pool gamed and volley ball were so much fun and many people participated.

During my stay Tanitia (sp?) the pool side waitress was unbelievable, she worked that pool with a smile and always seemed to appear when you were in need. And just like Mayra she asked my name once and never forgot it......I can't tell you enough how much of a difference that makes. Thank you Tanitia!!

Although the beach is not great for swimming, its lovely to lay out. The pools are fabulous! No matter which pool you decide on for the day its clean with ample towels and hardworking wait staff. Unlike others I did not have a problem securing a chair in the morning, and by mid week the crowd thinned out enough where chairs were plentiful at 10 am.

I have no complaints about the food it was all good, I enjoyed both their red and white house wines and they also had a nice proscecco.

The 24 hour coffee shop was wonderful to have and the menu choices were good as well.

Night entertainment was really good, live bands and shows. This resort is geared towards older folks which I enjoyed. I also met several other males and females that were solo travelers, which was nice.

The rooms were clean with comfortable beds and nice sized furnished balcony's, room service was quick with a pretty good selection of items. I do like the room service drop off door so they can just drop off and go, no need to answer door...even though I always answered the door, I just think its a nice option. I also enjoyed the incense which I burned each night and complimentary toiletries, which I did not use but again it was a nice touch.

CONS -
The light in the rooms is ridiculously dim....one could worsen their eyesight trying to read at night. There is no place to store clothes other than hangers, nor was there a place to hang wet bathing suits....its really time for room upgrades with bright light and storage for clothes!!
Also with my upgrade they moved me into a room with two double beds, which I was not thrilled about, I prefer and booked a king bed. I'm not used to such a small bed, but it was a minor issue, and I had a ocean view to make up for it.
The room TV is a complete joke, channels are fuzzy and in Spanish only unless you want CNN or Fox news.

Pool DJ did not play music continuously, only just before an activity, once the activity was over the DJ stopped playing music.

My BIGGEST complaint is my Yoga experience.......I'll start this by saying I'm a Registered Nurse and Certified Hatha Yoga Teacher with over 15 years of teaching experience.

DONNA was AWFUL!! I try to steer clear of giving negative feedback on resort yoga teachers but this warrants attention.

Cardinal mistake for any yoga teacher to make is giving students hands on adjustments without asking the student if its ok to touch and adjust......well Donna did just that and then began to go back and fourth with me when I asked her to stop. You see I have a bum knee and as a daily practitioner I know my body and its needs, she tugged on my thigh which triggered my knee and when I told her to stop because I have a bad knee here response was "I didn't touch your knee".........Had she asked me before hand I would have said no to her hands on adjustment, stating I prefer verbal adjustments. Well her tug at my thigh sent shooting pain through my knee and it still hurts today!!!

As a yoga teacher, teaching different people everyday on a resort its VITAL that Donna understands that she must ask before touching and NEVER argue with a student about their body..........Her behavior was so abrasive and left a bad taste with me, I really hope she is provided with continuous education and training needed as it relate to teaching at a resort.

Out of all the staff I came in contact with Donna was my only unpleasant encounter, but just enough for me to give 4 stars instead of 5.

A good yoga teacher knows you can cause more harm than good to a person if you don't ask questions and teach from a place of non-violence (Ahimsa). I do hope you address this with her.

Side note- I'm always a bit perplexed when couples act like its a crime or unheard of to travel alone.......get into it, its the BEST!!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
4  Thank Toni Y
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I spent a week at Secrets Silversands and we had a wonderful experience! The resort is clean, well kept, and beautiful. The service is wonderful and there are many options for entertainment.

Entertainment: The entertainment staff was incredible! They were so fun and friendly and it really made a huge difference. Thank you so much to Omar, Santiago, Charlie, and Miguel! Everything from pool volleyball to music trivia to Bingo was great!

Restaurant staff: The staff at all of the restaurants was amazing, but Herty in the buffet went above and beyond. Thanks, Herty!

Poolside drinks: I never waited more than a few minutes before someone asked me if I wanted a drink. Felipe works so hard every day to make sure everyone is happy!

Thank you for a wonderful experience. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family