All reviews waves crashing on the beach welcome drink first floor seaside balconies mirror shower suitcases greek yannis sleeping hairdryer loutro chania
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Our double ensuite room was compact but had two windows, one with a balcony looking towards the sea and another onto the narrow lane behind the hotel (with a lovely aroma of the bakery in the early morning!). The staff were very pleasant and helpful and welcomed us with a complimentary coffee. We enjoyed a good meal at the hotel's restaurant in the evening and a traditional breakfast the next morning.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Upon arrival we were greeted by Yanis who offered us free welcoming drinks on the shady terrace overlooking the beach. Our room was actually in the adjoining Livikon Hotel but we were lucky and got a large room with two separate sleeping areas. The main attraction was the small balcony with seaside views. It was basic but clean and surprisingly quiet considering that we were just above the main pedestrian "street". ( note that this was mid September so not high season). We had some meals in the restaurant and particularly enjoyed some of the local dishes. The town is quite small but charming. You can walk from one end to the other in 10 minutes. It was a great base to do a fantastic day kayaking trip along the coast with EnjoyCrete Kayaking and an enjoyable boat ride and visit to Loutro.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank REOrr
Reviewed 8 October 2017

I arrived in Hora Sfakion at 10.00am on the bus from Chania so had to wait as my room wasn’t ready – which I realised might be the case. I was given a welcome drink of freshly squeezed orange juice – delicious - and sat relaxing reading my book and listening to the waves crashing on the beach until my room was ready an hour later. I stayed in room 13 which has 2 balconies, though I only used the one overlooking the sea which had a small table and 2 chairs. The view is wonderful and you can see the clear blue water from the bed – what a beautiful sight to wake up to. I could never tire of the view and watching the ferry come and go. There was a small fridge in the room, ideal for drinks, though no kettle – however I’m sure one would have been provided if I’d asked for it. The main thing lacking in the room for me was a mirror, though there was one in the bathroom. The bathroom is typically Greek with no shower curtain, though there is a base and I managed to contain the water in one half of the bathroom without soaking the whole floor. The towels were soft and fluffy and there was a hairdryer in the bathroom. I really enjoyed the breakfast, freshly squeezed orange juice with freshly baked bread still warm from the oven, a slice of ham and cheese, marmalade and a small dish of yogurt with honey.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay at the Samaria and Hora Sfakion is a lovely little village with a chemist, several bakeries, a few shops and a good selection of tavernas. There is an ATM in the village so I withdrew cash to pay for my stay as although booking.com states the Samaria takes credit cards the owner wasn’t keen on accepting payment by card and said he’d prefer cash. Hora Sfakion is a great base for using the ferry and I spent an enjoyable few hours wandering round Loutro.

Room tip: Book a sea view room
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Gemma1
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I am used to stay in simpler places than this when travelling, but this place had other issues.
I had booked this room a long time ahead and wished for a room with a sea view because it was supposed to nice. Arriving there I was checked in to my room but after about an hour they suddenly seemed confused without saying why. I went out for a walk and they told me everything was going to be fine. When I came back they had moved all my things to another room. A bit odd, since I had unpacked. It would have been better if they had asked me to pack my things instead?

The room (without sea view) was a bit dated, not entirely clean and a with a running toilet. On the plus side I found the old interior quite beautiful in itself, but in need of some cleaning and care.
There is some noise from the outside but the hotel is of course situated in a town and it has a tavern, so its understandable, it was also quiet during night time. You couldn't see much from the balcony and it felt more like sitting in the midst of the street.

The restaurant has a nice view of the sea and town. The staff was at times a bit confused but friendly and also I got raki after meal which is a great plus:)

Breakfast was according to the booking confirmation I got, included. That turned out to be wrong as well. It was fine since there are a lot of places to find breakfast, but they tried to charge me for it when I was leaving.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank vagabond01
Reviewed 22 September 2017

It was our third time at this hotel and this time it was more better than last 2 times. This year they have renovated taverna so when we arrived they invited us to have a welcome drink while we are filling that registration form. Very nice. Everything around in taverna looks nice and really better than it was. Also this time we had a room with two balconies: one with a view to the sea and other to that small hill, we enjoyed both! There was a lot of sun in balconies during daytime and no shadow so be aware of this. Of course wardrobes is very old in rooms but it is also charming. This time we enjoy our stay more and it was sad enough to leave.

As always there was no curtains in shower and a water ran on the floor, wc and everythere. But this time there was a window in a bathroom so we have at least a little ventilation. This year it was better.

Date of stay: August 2017