“Lovely cafe in a lovely town!”

Crystany's Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Canning
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Description: Welcome to Crystany's Brasserie a family owned and operated 100% gluten free restaurant. In July 2017 working with The Celiac Associate and the Gluten Free Food Program , we became the first certified gluten free restaurant in Canada . We believe in the value of community. We try and source local organic food when in season. Our drink menu consists of local craft beers, sports and gluten free beers. As well as all certified organic/biodynamic wines. Our Motto is: Who Cares We Care Health Matters!
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

On a day trip to Blomidon Provincial Park to go hiking, we saw Crystany’s from the street upon leaving I Scream ice cream shoppe just down the street. After a vigorous hike on the Jodrey Trail in Blomidon, we stopped for a late afternoon lunch/dinner. After taking a seat at a table in the first floor dining room, the proprietor asked us if we wanted to see the second floor deck. That turned out to be a great location on a spectacular Sunday afternoon, on Mother’s Day no less. I had the specialty Hamburger and my wife had the Fish and Chips. We finished off our meal with a Spiced Apple Cake. Everything was delicious and totally gluten-free. A great find in a special part of Nova Scotia.

Crystal M, Public Relations Manager at Crystany's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Thank you, so glad that you stoped in and enjoyed your time and meal with us. It was great chatting with you, enjoy your next hike.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Staff were welcoming and friendly. The menu is simple, but unique and dishes are very reasonably priced. The food was delicious and serving size appropriate - although I did have to bring some of my fantastic dessert home ;) Love the decor - the top hat pendant lights are a fun addition and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. Perfect for a date night or supper out with friends. Not a lot of space for a large party unless pre booking for sure! Even if you're not gluten free this place is a must try!

Crystal M, Public Relations Manager at Crystany's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Hi Halle,

Glad that you enjoyed your experience at Crystany's. As a family owned business and along with our staff we strive to make our customers enjoy their time and experience with us.

Make sure that you follow our Facebook page so that you are able to stay up to date.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Poor communication is what comes to mind for this restaurant. On our first and only visit there, our fish and chips were delicious (even though my husband said twice that he only wanted 1 piece if fish and was presented with 2). Unfortunately our wine was served in dirty glasses, which we didn’t notice until we had both drank half of our wine. Not very appetizing!!! I opted not to have a replacement glass but my husband went for it. Any reputable restaurant would apologize and give you another full glass of wine. Not here. Although the waitress was apologetic, my husband received a very small amount of wine in the new clean glass. When paying, we were charged for my dirty glass of wine as well! I questioned this and the waitress had to speak to the chef to have the charge removed. His response was “did they drink it?...well next time just give them a sample if they don't know what to order.” Don’t worry chef...there won’t be a “next time”!

3  Thank Debbie E
Crystal M, Public Relations Manager at Crystany's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Hi Debbie,

Sorry that you and your husband did not have a nice experience. The owners of the restaurant have just experienced a death in the family. My mother who has been in a nursing home for the last 4 1/2 years with Alzheimer's passed away unexpected. Not only that she slipped into a coma the day her eldest son, my brother was undergoing major heart surgery. He was born with a hole in his heart and at the age of 14 he was the first canadiate to undergo open heart surgery in Nova Scotia.

At the age of 61 he had major surgery to repair the heart again. The manager, our daughter was with her family to grieve and say good by to her grandmother. We had closed the restaurant for a day.
Our staff who we believe in and back wanted to go in and open the restaurant. There was only 3 of them and they were very busy and trying to do the best that they could do in a difficult situation.

When our tables are cleared all dishes go to the kitchen sinks. Only clean ones are at the bar. Not being their I or the manager can not speak on the wine glasses. Again we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience and if you do choice to return there will be a compliantly glass of wine waiting for you.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

My husband and I were staying down the street at a bed and breakfast that recommended this restaurant. We weren't really excited about it being gluten free but decided to visit as it was only a five minute walk away. What a lucky find! We liked it so much we ate here on our second night here as well. I would never have known that the restaurant was gluten free without being told. Innovative cuisine. Friendly efficient service. The restaurant is large so no need for reservations. There was a patio on the top level with a view of the surrounding countryside.

Crystal M, Public Relations Manager at Crystany's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

So glad that you took Lynn and Rob up on their suggestion. They have a beautiful bb,
called the Farm House Inn. Our mission is to educate the public on a disease that effects millions of people. When food is done right, which our Chef Michael can do, no one knows the difference. Depending on the season and if their is an event, we do recommend that you make a reservation.

Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Im not gluten-free but I have many friends that are. I must say that the food was incredibly delicious. I ordered fish and chips. Coating was crispy and plenty of fish. It was unlike the traditional style that is full of batter and little fish. The fries are outta this world! And an amazing selection of local beers (try the Sea Level! Yum!) The atmosphere is so quant and classy. Prices are very reasonable at under $15 for fish and chips. They have a wide selection and for those that are weary of trying gluten-free, trust me they have such an amazing chef that you will prefer their menu over anyone elses! A must try and worth the drive if your a visitor considering there is so much to sea!