Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
crisdriving
Montreal

Loved the people!!!

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 25, 2007
We've been to Club amigo caracol in march, 2007.
Great people, good food, good shows, the beach isn 't the best but is ok. The rooms are ok, conditioning air, cable tv, the beds were always nice decorated and clean.
I want to mention some of the people we meet and we loved: Leo(Leovadis) and his girl friend, the massage guy(forgot his name but he is a wonderfull person), the DJ Omar, Huan Alberto(the guy from the beach grill bar), the guide from sunwing Rita(very kind lady and everyday there at reception bar), the manager(don't remember exactly his name - something close to Tamar), the bartenders(the girls and the guys -- all of them very nice people), the guys from catamaran, the receptionist girl, many thanks to Marisol from the bufet and very important the dancing team with their coregraphs, from which I' ll remember a few names, Ariana Jackson and Jordanis(I got drunk the first night because I wasn 't used with the dark rum and thay took care of me in the disco -- I coudn't make it back at the hotel without their help).
I'll be back maybe in may 2007.

Thanks to all these people we felt great and just can wait to go back.
Love you guys

Cristian and Ioana

Date of stay: March 2007
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
4.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
3.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
4.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
3.0 of 5 bubblesCheck in / front desk
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
4.0 of 5 bubblesBusiness service (e.g., internet access)
Get rewarded with One Key
    67.8 km from Club Amigo Caracol
    Bar/Lounge
    View more hotels in Playa Santa Lucia
    1,188 results
    See what travelers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed April 18, 2007

Just got back from the Club Amigo on Friday April 13.

I'll try to be brief and concise:

Rooms - great size for a 3 star resort. Separate room with mini-fridge (not filled) and a couple of sofas. Beds - two twins - were fine.

Food - limited, but again this is a 3 star resort. There's always a fresh pasta and grilled/fish being made. Buffet options are extremely limited. There's also a beach bar, which mainly makes hamburgers/hotdogs. Some of the female wait staff were not very friendly to the females in our party, but the males didn't experience the same problem.

Bars - limited drink selection. Definitely, no slushie drinks (as stated by other readers). A few guests brought down there favourite bottles of booze to mix with juices/pop.

Beach - plenty of seaweed in the ocean, but if you bring water socks you'll be fine. The beach is not as nice and soft as in Varadero, but it is clean.

Entertainment staff - overall most of the staff were mainly friendly: Leo, Omar, el Negro etc. - great guys.

Recommendation: bring lots of things to give away both to staff and to town residents. Any and every bit helps.

Be prepared for a relaxed and laid back attitude among staff at this resort.

We paid 700$ taxes in - so for this price, I'd say book it. For more, I'd probably consider going elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2007
    • Trip type: Traveled with friends
      • Check in / front desk
      • Business service (e.g., internet access)
    5  Thank jennpugs
    Reviewed March 26, 2007

My wife, daughter (10yrs old), and I went on the Camaquey Roulette and ended up at the Caracol for the March Break. I was quite happy that we were assigned to the Caracol based on some of the feedback that we read on this list. Seeing as this was our first trip to Cuba, our expectations were open.

The late night flight from Toronto to Camaquey was uneventful. We arrived late, and the line up to get through customs took about 1 hour to get through. The interesting thing is that everyone rushes to get off the plane and get through customs as fast as possible only to have to sit around and wait on the buses until everyone is processed. We were the very last ones to get through customs!.

The trip from the airport to the hotel is uneventful. There are several people selling beer at the airport once you pass customs as well as on the bus to the hotels. You can get your Cuba money changed at the airport or at the hotel. Felt very safe at the airport, and had a porter bring our bags to the bus.

We arrived about 70 minutes after leaving the airport. The check-in took a little longer then I expected especially with my daughter being so tired. Once checked in, porters brought our bags to our room for our first night.

The room was very very clean. I understand that the Caracol had an upgrade a few years ago where all the tiles were replaced and the rooms were updated. The bathroom was very clean, the beds were a little soft but comfortable. The satellite TV provided enough channels to keep us happy. We were provided a safety deposit box key at NO cost.

We ate at the restaurant for all our meals except for one dinner at the Luna de Mar, which I will talk about later. The restaurant food was acceptable but was very similar everyday for every meal.
    There was a breakfast counter where you could order omelette's or eggs. The buffet table had things like hash browns, bacon, ham, cheese, fruits, breads, etc... Lunch usually had some meat like chicken, beef, and the omelette bar usually cooked fresh chicken, or beef. There was also a soup available, and some fresh vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, and cabbage. They also had pizza every day that I thought was amazing!
    Supper usually consisted of things like boiled, roasted potatoes, meat usually beef, chicken and even rabbit I saw one day. The omelette bar turned into a pasta bar for the dinner meal. Unfortunately, the pasta bar was only available for the first few nights at the hotel, apparently they ran out of pasta after Wed night. The pasta was really good as well as the ice cream.

Warning....they do not have the typical ketchup that you are used to in Canada, so if you are a ketchup freak, bring your own!

The resort has a smaller restaurant closer to the beach that served hamburgers, hotdogs, and fries. I thought it was an all day affair, but it did close around dinner. The food was very good here.

The pool is very nice, and I found that it was never really busy. At times, it was just my daughter and I in the pool. The pool is only 1.25 meters deep all the way around, and this made it nice for my daughter who could swim in the pool without supervision. The pool also has a swim up bar. The pool was always warm and very clean and open from 9am to 6pm everyday. The lifeguard made a special effort to be extra nice to the little kids which was really nice. If you have little kids, bring your life jackets as there is none available at the resort.

The beach is very nice and clean. The staff uses a tractor to scrap all the seaweed from the beach every morning. The only problem that we had was that it was constantly windy the week that we were there and the waves made swimming in the ocean a difficult process. There are 4 or 5 resorts next to each other along the beach and there are security guards that are placed at either end of the resorts to keep the locals off the beach. It was comforting to have them there even though after being there for a week we realized that the people were extremely nice and we did not feel threatened or unsafe at any time, especially with my daughter.

We did have the opportunity to visit the Brisas resort while there where we met up with some friends. The Brisas was really busy for the March break and most of the people were all dressed up it appeared. We were happy to be at the Caracol were it was really nice and quite, and less formal it appeared to us.

We did a few extra tour type things. We did the Playa Bonita catamaran tour. The trip was really a nice trip, which included going to the reef and snorkeling,. Unfortunately, the waves were quite big that day and snorkeling was difficult. The beach at Playa Bonita is really beautiful. The time on the island is about 2 hours or so and we played in the ocean most of the time. The sand is really nice and soft, the waves were fun to play in and the taste of the water was really really salty. The lunch consisted of either lobster of chicken. Because of the winds, the trip had been postponed from Wed to Thursday. I kind of felt that the lobster had been cooked the day before on Wed and we were served in on Thrssday. It was not very good but we ate it anyways.

We also did horseback riding on the beach which cost $5 pesos each person for 1 hour. It was really a nice ride and again felt very safe.

We did a 1 hour horse and buggy ride into town which was really nice. The driver brought us to see his house and where he kept the horses. We asked him to show us his house. The cost was again $5 pesos per person for 1 hour.

I did the half day deep sea fishing trip. Again because of the high winds, the trip was moved one day. The boat was a 29 foot boat with a captain and skipper. Three of us went out fishing. Fishing is best in July and August I was told, and we managed to catch 2 fish, one was a barracuda and the other was a spanish fish. One of the ladies on board was sick during the entire trip because of the waves. They were probably 5 feet during the beginning of the trip and settled down towards the end of the day.

If anyone is planning on going fishing, the captain has very limited artificial lures for fishing because they cannot buy these in Cuba, you might want to consider bringing some and leaving it with the crew. I'm sure they would be very grateful.

The only problem that I would say about the Caracol is it's entertainment program. The entertainment starts at 9:45 each night, and with a smaller child, it is too late. We did not see any of the entertainment, but we certainly did hear it. The entertainment usually finished around 1-1:30 and you could hear the blaring noise easily in our room.

The other thing is that the Caracol does not have any children activities so don't expect to leave your children with anyone for some time away from the kids here. We did not have a problem with that so we were ok with that.

There is a really great restaurant right next to the Caracol called Luna de Mar. The food is incredible! We had the fresh lobster diner which a great bottle of Spanish wine. The lobster had been caught that day and was probably the best lobster I have ever eaten. The family really enjoyed the Luna de Mar. Cost about $100 with tip for the three of us, but was worth every penny.

Overall, the trip was very enjoyable, we did not spend lots of money as there really isn't anything much to buy there and the people were really nice.

I am already looking forward to going again and my daughter wanted to go back the following week,

Cheers

• Trip type: Traveled with family
      • Check in / front desk
    16  Thank proy
    Reviewed March 19, 2007

had a great time at santa lucia as usual was the first time we stayed at caracol wont be our last we have been down there 12 times now and have many friends there in the village and over in Guaimaro which is around 100 klms away rented a car for the day was a bit expensive but worth it 114 pasios for the day but very safe traveling there you cant say that for many islands down there. We spent the day with a family down there and was well entertained it was pay back for the things we brought them lots of clothes and shoes we also brought down a iron as thers broke down last year I go around garage sales hear in the summer and pick up things i figure they can use. went up to coco beach but its getting run down as what it used to be but swiming was still nice. flight was great with west jet and we returned with air transit everthing was on time which was great not like last year with sun wing we had to go to mexico first with them made it a 7 hour flight ainways all in the fun of traveling.
    FOOD
    well was not bad same as the other hotels they all get there food from the same place but if its first class food you want dont go to cuba was always something you could eat and the ice creme was out of this world.
    ROOMS
    maids did a great job i dont tip till im ready to leave but was always cleaned and sheets and towels clean every day so was never a problem they were always friendly and if you needit ainthing extra was always there to help you.
    BEACH
    was great there the young lads did a excelent job of cleaning the seaweed there machines have broke down so its now back to doing it with rakes you need beach shoes to go in as its rough on the feet but water was a lot deeper this year guess its about the tides.was never at the pool so cant coment on it .
    DRINKS
    was great Victor andBarranco (brother in laws) always there to serve you and made what ever you wanted always bring a large cup with you tim hortons is the most prized down there as the people in the village love when you give it to them the day you leave.
    well saving up to go back next year hope castro gets healthy as we dont need the cuban americans invading there country and hope the cubans are able to run there own country.

11  Thank art222
    Reviewed March 18, 2007

Just got back from Santa Lucia and had yet another awesome time!! This is our third time and we are planning on returning next year!! As many others have stated you don't go to Caracol for the food luxury etc...but the people are amazing!!! Every year we go we meeti lots of amazing people including the staff at the hotel. If you are looking for a good meal off resort go find Edwardo Borges horse buggy number 7 and ask him to take you to coco beach for a lobster tail that is just amazing his wife does the cooking and her name is Rosa they have a little girl named Rachel so if you do go for a visit bring her some goodies as a treat for her!!! The trip to coco beach and the lunch costs only 15$ and is well worth every penny! We returned home only three days ago and I miss the whole gang already!!! I have been many places in Cuba but if you are looking for a postive local experience this is the place to go it is completley safe and no one bothers you. If you go visit Edwardo tell him that John, Jackie and Sarah sent you!

3  Thank rubyflooring
    Reviewed March 7, 2007

I went to Club Amigo Caracol with my boyfriend for our university reading week from Feb. 20th-27th. We had the best times of our lives. We even cried at the end when we had to go home.
    We booked our trip with sunwing which was the only bad part of our trip. We left one hour late and in 2 hours after departure in the middle of the air we had to go back to Toronto due to "technical difficulties" where we were transfered to another aircraft. The plane was small and uncomfortable and on the way back my boyfriend and I were not even able to sit together. We were supposed to arrive at the resort at noon and we got there by 6 pm. But that was the airline's fault not the resort's.
    When we got there a lady waited for us with refreshing cocktails and we had no problem checking-in. We got an ocean view room with an ocean-view balcony. The room was extremly clean just like the rest of the hotel. Every day our room was cleaned and sheets were changed even if we did not ask for it.
    That night we went to the show which was incredible everynight. These very young dancers could be in the cirque du soleil in my opinion. Great music, great costumes, great shows, great dancing. Only complaint is that it was one hour long. I could have sat there drinking mojitos and watching the show all night long. But I guess they do have to get their rest!
    The beach was beautiful but because of the coral reefs I spent most of my time by the pool because I'm scared of fishes (I know thats dumb, but the pool has music all day and night and a swim-up bar).
    I read many reviews before going and many people complained about the food. They are all crazyy, The food was amazing with so much to choose from.
    Now the cuban people are a different story all on their own. They are the most amazing people I have ever met in my life. We made very good friends with the entertainment staff Yuse, Jorge, Ielen, David, and with the bartenders too. They sat with us everyday and talked about everything and nothing. I learned so much about Cuban culture thanks to them.
    On our last day Jorge took us to Camaguey to his house since it was his mother's birthday. He toured us around all day and I felt so safe. Everyone was nice and no one intended harm. (watch out for crazy bike riders tho! that's the only danger in Cuba, getting run over by a bike!! lol)
    When you go to Cuba make sure to bring presents for them, such as watches, shorts, flip-flops, shampoo, and stuff like that, since everyone gets paid the same, but entertainers do not make tips, they only get gifts which they appreciate so much.
    We always sneaked them drinks and burgers since it they liked it and we felt they were our friends not our entertainers.
    Anyways in conclusion to my long review which I could go on for 20 more pages, this place is amazing, clean, quiet, yet fun for anyone. The people are trustable and the resort is seriously a paradise. It is a 3 star hotel but if someone would have said it was a 5 star I would have beleived them!
    GO to Club amigo Caracol, you will not regret it!
    ps. they even gave us cuban cigars and a CD of the music they played all week. Great memories!

Date of stay: February 2007