“Marked down for poor Cantonese beef”

Kotaraya Asian Multi Cuisine Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 122 Restaurants in Elsternwick
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Apart from a noisy table of about eight Chinese celebrating a birthday at the back, this restaurant didn't have many diners on a Thursday night with only about 15 others.

Our group started with curry puffs that were fine, followed by pork with cashew nuts - acceptable - fried rice that was quite good but poor, tasteless Cantonese beef that was lacking in sauce despite a request for 'extra.'

A James Boag Premium beer was reasonably priced at A$5.50.

The banana fritter at the end was terrific - a good mound of ice cream and great batter.

Service was OK although the waiter at times didn't quite understand what we wanted.

Bill was A$85 for our group of four.

The restaurant is on the 67 tram route and 216/219/246 bus routes so easy to get to, as well as being very close to Elsternwick railway station.

1  Thank Victorianlad

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I thought the food was great and I thought the service was exceptional and had not received this level of service in a long time.
The laksa looks great and the spicy chicken ribs were delicious !
Nice local eatery !

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Food: A fantastic range of Asian food. Their biggest advantage here is the choice of dishes and cuisines. Food was well cooked, and well flavoured. I loved how this dishes had lots of colour too them. They looked really appealing and portion sizes were generous.

Atmosphere/Service: Kotaraya is a fairly large restaurant, and offers a good number of tables for larger groups. It always seems to be busy in the evenings, and has a pleasant atmosphere. Service is a little hit and miss, they really need to work on their organisation with this and ensure they are approaching tables in the order they arrived, but staff are nice.

Would I recommend it: Yes, I was surprised given the variety of food available how well cooked and well presented it was. I also thought it was very affordable for the portion sizes given. I'd recommend booking if you plan to go in the evenings, particularly at weekends.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

Still enjoy eating at Kotaraya after all these years even though we now live a long way from the area. The food is delicious and plentiful and the prices are reasonable. The service is always good, it's licensed and BYO. For us, it's worth the extra drive for good Asian food. Tasty and yummy.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

The restaurant was quite busy. It is a local
restaurant with no atmosphere but friendly
staff. Not sure about the understanding of
English. I specifically asked for no additives
as I have allergies. The dish came out with
the very same food I have an allergy to
They did graciously take it away & remade it. Only problem was it was hugely over salted. The dish was King Prawns with vegetables. I was only able to stomach two pieces of vegetable. The terrible incident that made me decide never to go back was
the sizzle platter that went to two other tables was so acrid that we all started coughing & had a sore throat. The gentleman came over to apologize for the issue. He sad it was the chilli burning & the air conditioning blew the smoke all over us
The Cantonese beef I ended up eating was ok but no accompaniment except for heaps of onion

1  Thank Evelynne G