“Fantastic Hotel and Resort!”

ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria
Ranked #19 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed August 4, 2015

We traveled there Jun 15 as a couple and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This was the first time for myself in Gran Canaria although I have been to Lanzarote and Tenerife before, I have to see Gran Canaria is a beautiful island. In my opinion the more scenic out of the 3 islands.

The Clubhotel Riu is a lovely hotel and although it may not have the wow factors of some of the other hotels in there (the Baobab Lopesan for example), everything the hotel offers it does to a very high standard.

Firstly we arrived at 10pm after a long flight (the worst thing about the trip) but we were greeted by very polite hotel staff and they had kept the restaurant open so we could have something to eat before we went to bed. Normally when I stay all inclusive I will often eat out at the local restaurants some nights but for the two weeks we were there we didn't eat out of the hotel once! The food was outstanding with lots to choose from. For those of you picky eaters (like myself) I promise there is always something to choose. The food is being constantly refreshed by staff. The pizzas for example are cooked from fresh in front of you as well as many other dishes.

There are 4 restaurants at the hotel, Las Dunas, El Patio, Atlantico and the Asian restaurant. We ate most days at the Atlantico restaurant which is located by the sea front next to the adult pool. On the evening they swap between serving a Grill menu or a tradition Canarian menu. The Asian restaurant is fantastic all your chinese takeaway favourites except 10x better. If you do want to eat there though you will need to go to reception and book a table.

I was pleasantly surprised that the drinks included in the all inclusive were branded. On the first night I ordered a vodka orange but I was given the local vodka. However I noticed they did serve Smirnoff so from then on I asked for Smirnoff and Lemonade! What impressed me the most about the hotel was the little things, for example when your at the bar you can ask for a bowl of peanuts and for your room or by the pool you can ask for the big bottle of water. At all the bars there are self service drinks for soft drinks, slushies, beer and wine. They also serve prosecco which went down very well with a lot of guests.

I've read in other reviews about there being a lot of German people staying there which fir the first week was certainly true for us but the second week there seemed to be a lot more British people. However I must say everyone was very friendly and we met lots of lovely people whilst we were there.

I've also read other reviews where they say the entertainment wasn't very good but I really enjoyed it. Every night for the two weeks there was a different show and the entertainers worked very hard. I will admit some nights were better than others but for the two weeks we were there we only went out of the hotel for 1 night! On the evening there is an "After hours" room which we only discovered on our 2nd week which opens after about 12am where you can get some food, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches if you're feeling peckish!

There is free wifi which although was a bit hit and miss in your room, its fine by the pool.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and the resort of Meloneras. The hotel is right on the sea front with a short walk to the beach. The trips Thomson arrange are also fantastic we would definitely recommend the Afrikat and the 4x4 safari. We will certainly be returning again!

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple
9  Thank AmyKeeling
Write a ReviewReviews (3,053)

Reviewed August 3, 2015

This was our second visit to the hotel having been there a week or so after the re opening. The hotel was as spectacular as the first time with the grounds and pools being immaculate. Our room was spotless and it stayed like that thanks to our cleaner throughout the holiday. The food was the usual Riu fare, ie OK but a bit bland. Breakfast was exactly the same every morning, until you were crying out for something different. The all inclusive deal works brilliantly as Riu hotels always make you feel that they are happy for you to have anything and everything throughout your stay. All too often other hotels still make you feel like every drink is given grudgingly. Not here!.
The animation team work hard during the day and also put on shows in the nights. These are not so good. This brings me to what was clearly the worst aspect of the hotel, the group that played at the terrace bar 6 nights a week. To be clear they were dreadful, awful and pathetic. On our first visit the duo were excellent and sang mainly English and American hits which were very popular. This time they followed what seemed to be the hotel's policy of equal time to English, German and Spanish songs. The audience were clearly disengaged, and just sat and suffered.
Speaking of the audience you must remember you will be outnumbered by Ma. Merkal's people. They are the usual charmless rude and ignorant people we have all met before. However this time there were far fewer examples of excessive facial hair (although some men still had wore it).
All things considered however it is still a wonderful hotel and we will certainly pay it another visit in a year or so.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikenmal
Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks in July. Room lovely and cleaned daily, every member of staff cheerful and really nice. Waiters couldn't have been better! Eating places all self service, food good. Some days the restaurants a bit manic and noisy. I ordered the internet at 20 euros per week and had great results. We were in a block away from the main hotel but got internet connection in the room at all times. We did a few trips...Pirate Boat was rubbish as was the Dolphin search trip. The Moonlight Cinema is great (we went twice).. and the drag show is a must! A visit to Palmitos Park was great too.
We tended to go out a bit at night as the hotel entertainment was terrible. The daytime entertainment was pretty dire too.
To summarise....we had a lovely holiday.
Would we return to this hotel? ......probably not.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
5  Thank JeanMackie
Reviewed July 30, 2015 via mobile

Great hotel in a fab area. Food was lovely. Only thing I didn't enjoy was that I felt like we were the only English in the hotel, so felt slightly isolating but it was just a holiday for me and my boyfriend to have a break and some quality time so didn't bother me that much. Absolutely amazing hotel and loved the ocean view restaurant! Make sure you visit the outdoor cinema too, it's so good!

Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alex1694
Reviewed July 28, 2015

This is a fantastic hotel; newly refurbished. A slight negative would be that it felt slightly too clinical and didn't have the 'quaint Spanish' charm as it is ultra modern. If you like traditional, it perhaps isn't for you.

It is spacious with a variety of food and speciality restaurants; we particularly enjoyed the Atlantic View being meat lovers :) The Asian one is really good too.

The grounds are lovely with pools. The kids pool is pretty fun with a bucket that tips and other climbing/slides etc. Our room was in a great position too on the ground floor, just a short walk from the main areas. The staff were lovely and there were a couple of favourite waiters who knew our drinks before asking :)

There is a nice sea front walk where you will find some duty free and designer shops about 5 mins up the road if that as well as a casino (we didn't venture into the casino) and a lighthouse.

We love Riu's and this one didn't disappoint. My son thoroughly enjoyed the nightly kids disco and the chance to meet the turtle mascot!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family