Open today: 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM, 4:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Spectacular

Reviewed 15 October 2019
Maehb
N. Ireland

All reviews st peter thousand years well worth a visit interior paintings spain century silver saints sense pyrenees
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 January 2020

The cathedral of St Peter in Java was ordered by Ramiro I, first king of Aragón, and built by Sancho Ramirez, the second. The original building dates from the eleventh century, and there are elements of other eras, from Romanesque to Gothic to Plateresque to Baroque. There are many curious features, including the silver coffers under the altar containing the bones of ancient saints, the statue of the "holy trinity" a copy of Michaelangelo's Moses, the ceiling of the apse, painted by Miguel de Bayeu. I'm very fond of the wrought iron railings around the two side chapels which are a thousand years old and come from little churches. The side door of the cathedral is decorated with Romanesque capitals (the originals in the museum) the most famous of which is David and the musicians. I could go on, but the thing to do is visit, see it for yourself!

Date of experience: December 2019
2  Thank SallyKatharine
Reviewed 17 November 2019

On a clear day in October, with nearly no traffic, I was stopped by Huesca Police for no apparent reason. After a long delay and their discovery that was was in a rental car that was to be returned to the Madrid Airport within 48 hours, I was issued a totally bogus citation for 500 euros. I was alone and had no witness and they knew I was scheduled to fly back to the US before having any chance to contest this bogus ticket. They very rudely assured me that I would have to pay the entire amount if I did not give them my credit card, and they rang up 250 euros on the spot. I highly recommend anyone with an obvious rental car or out of the area license plate to reconsider visiting this area! There are many other lovely places you can go without such risks. The costs of disputing fraudulent tickets is higher than the fees and nearly impossible without witnesses. BEWARE!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed 15 October 2019

Of course every city in Spain has at least one church/cathedral of impressive status, but I would say that this one is worthy of taking time over. Also called the cathedral of San Pedro, it is a lovely soothing place on a hot day not to mention the history of the building.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank Maehb
Reviewed 1 October 2019

A must visit with a great feeling of majesty and splendour..A free visit with a sense of calm and serenity from this Romanesque masterpiece.

Date of experience: September 2019
2  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 5 September 2019

It was a compelling and powerful place to visit. Full of sculpture and paintings it made me think profoundly about how such places and such interiors come about.

Date of experience: September 2019