“Plates are incredibly beautiful, with a burst of taste, colors and texture, offered with an infinite attention to detail”
Review of Caviar & Bull

Caviar & Bull
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I knew before setting out for Malta that I could not leave out this posh Mediterranean restaurant and incidentally it was in close proximity from the Hilton where I was staying. In fact I was looking forward to a truly exciting culinary experience which in fact, exceeded by far my expectations.

We came to Caviar & Bull much earlier for an aperitif before heading to the dinning lounge. Over a friendly chat with Denise we enjoyed our Aperol Spritz, judging that it was the perfect cocktail that moment for a stylish start to our evening.

If it is true that we eat with our eyes then it stands to reason that the interiors of restaurants must be as delicious as the food they serve. Design, food and location come together in perfect harmony here. Snuggled right on the harbor, the restaurant enjoys striking views across St. Georges Bay, in the most idyllic venue for dining out in Malta.

The intriguing menu is expertly designed by Marvin himself who is also behind the award winning Tarragon as well as the Buddhamann the latter of which happens to be on the upper floor. Awarded the Silver Spoon accolade in 2013 as well as 2014 - the owner and founder is definitely one of the best chefs on the island of Malta. I did have a long chat with him later on towards the end of the meal as he wanted to meet me and see how I found everything. His passion for culinary adventure can easily be noticed from the first word he utters. He speaks with excitement stressing how he respects his clients with quality cuisine and the freshest of local ingredients. The atmosphere was perfect. Intimate, glass-clinking and busy at the same time while the staff, the right balance of friendly and attentive.

The wine list includes some great wine choices with a few really expensive ones to suite most pockets. Our trip to tastes started with a white Pinot Noir 2011, pleasant on the nose with excellent crisp acidity. €23.50.

The Cosmopolitan Tasting Degustation Menu consists of 10 different tasting dishes (including dessert) for €65.00 per person but optionally we did have the Platinum Caviar as well for €12.00, a Sgroppino (lemon sorbet with vodka and Prosecco for €8.00 and Aperol Spritz for €6.00.

Perhaps words fail me to describe as good as it really was the real feeling of the first three innovative starters, -Oysters, the Caviar and the Seared Wagyu Beef Carpaccio, all fresh and exquisite! They had a ritual presentation with the liquid nitrogen for effect, creating a fragrant mist making an already exceptional dinner, a dreamy experience.

Next Tiger Prawns “Ancient Tempura” and Alba Truffle flavored reconstructed Mushrooms. Crispy and mouthwatering presented in the same dish, a nice combination, distinctive texture accompanied by notes of ginger. Yummy!

Each dish was served in a timely manner with the waiters checking on us if we are happy and enjoying the food.

Two more dishes worth giving them a try; the Langoustine Tails nested in ‘filo’ a meaty, exquisite in taste delicacy and the Crispy Bougon Bouche Bonbons (Goat cheese) micro cress, sesame crisp, citrus & mustard vinaigrette, honey caviar and forrest fruit coulis. Superb presentation, mouthwatering taste! Thumbs up.

An array of fresh and perfectly cooked dishes kept coming up and each better than the other with a molecular wing, a real treat for our taste buds.

The Lobster & Salmon Artisan filled Tortelloni with cherry tomatoes, herbs over white wine and shellfish creamy velouté was out of this world!

Another superb delicacy the 200° Flash Seared Foie Gras (Walnut, red currant toast topped with Hungarian Tokaji Aszú Essencia Caviar and apple pomme frites)

Each dish was a surprise with fabulous presentation delivering on every level –freshness, flavour and texture.

Final dish, Gauci’s Signature “The Lobster Popcorn” was heaven in a dish. Perfectly cooked, spicy as it should have been, absolutely divine!

Food was mouthwatering -a taste of heaven, with the Dessert as the cherry on top of the cake. Sorbet though makes a great palate cleanser thus we opted for the savory lemon one with Vodka and Prosecco before we proceed to the sweet delicacies.

I opted for the Vanilla Crème Brulee with salted coffee sauce. Sophisticated presentation served with caramelized banana, it was perhaps the best I’ve ever had counting in presentation and taste!

The Chocolate Fondant with chocolate and hazelnut soil and toffee ice-cream was my friend’s choice. Superb as it was, my friend enjoyed every bite of it.

To sum up this fine dining restaurant serves top level cuisine. The food was nothing short of perfection. Price-wise it might be a bit more expensive than elsewhere but you do get what you pay for. Passion, creativity, choice, presentation, training of staff and sheer hard work is actually what delivers ace results and a continuous struck to perfection through the entire culinary trip!

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed 9 March 2017

Marvin , patron is really pushing boundaries in delighting customers.
Great dining place, intimate, great place to get your taste buds working.
Menus are all carefully studied. Great service, beautiful sea view.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 6 March 2017

On a recent visit to the Corinthia Hotel in Budapest, I came to know that the owners of Caviar & Bull Restaurant in Malta are set to open a restaurant in this majestic hotel in the next few months. As I had never visited their restaurant in Malta before, I decided to give it a go last Saturday in order to savour what to expect on my next visit to Budapest.
We were greeted by a courteous young lady who immediately summoned Marvin, the young Chef Patron who I can only liken with an extremely busy bee. Marvin with his affectionate smile, asked us whether we preferred to have a drink or head straight to the table. As we were in a party mood we ordered a bottle of champagne, which the chef patron himself served after professionally opened the bottle by giving it the precise cut with a very sharp sword. The rest of the evening was pure magic. As I normally do in such ambience, I left the chose of menu to the chef patron and believe me I was left speechless. He recommended for us to have the Tasting Degustation Menu (which I am reproducing below rather than photos of the actual food). As we went through the eight course meal, we savoured every dish well prepared by the professional chefs and served with passion by a smart service brigade. As we had started off with champagne, we then moved on to an exquisite Primitivo to accompany the dishes; a work of art besides the excellent palate which these presented. We rounded off with desert and a couple of aged Ports. A Visit to Caviar & Bull is a must for anyone visiting Malta and if there are any Maltese residents who have not yet tried it; what are you waiting for? Prosit Marvin and your excellent team. I sincerely look forward to my next visit in Malta and ....... in Budapest

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I was on business trip to malta and went to dine in this restaurant. very nice view , especially in summertime sea view, very kind and helpful staff, good food

Reviewed 28 February 2017

We enjoyed the food. The slow cooked octopus was lovely. It did not need the sauce that came with but still. The oxkind is marvelous. It did not need that sweet sauce either. The chef can leave the sugar without loosing quality.

The staff were ambitions and friendly but they were NOT trained enough to match the ambitions. Too service minded, too fast in serving or clean the table, Etc. Not their fault but the manager should put some more efforts on training his/her staff.