All reviews great location single room daily cleaning minute walk explore malta bus stop breakfast was included rooms are clean yogurt building work paceville balcony noise valletta buses saint sockets
Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

I had a horrible stay there. The rooms are not at all like on the pictures which look photoshopped to me now. Everything is old and dingy, the toilets/bathrooms are tiny.

My room for two had such a small boiler that there was only enough hot water for about 5 minutes max so I'm not sure how two people would shower there on the morning.

Currently there is construction going on across the road which is very noisy during the day but it's also on a very, very busy road which did not stop being noisy all night either. I woke up on my last night there with a party bus going past at 3am and could not go back to sleep.

To top it all off when I asked the receptionist (owner's daughter it turns out) to cut my stay short and get back the money for the rest of my stay (I managed to stand 2 nights out of 14 booked) she absolutely refused. She told me it's a non refundable booking and literally told me "I'm not interested in this conversation any more".

I asked her what the point of this was, that I would have to stay there the whole time, hate my experience, and leave them a bad review she started shouting at me that I was threatening her!

After a huge argument I finally found on bookings.com that non refundable just means there will be a cancelation fee. Once I showed her this on the website she charged me over €300 for those 2 nights!

I have learned a couple of things on this trip and I hope someone else learns from my mistakes.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank Mladen M
ROKNA, Manager at Rokna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Dear Sir

I was eagerly awaiting your review following your threat to do so.
There are always 2 sides to a story......Here is ours.....

I do agree with you that our hotel is 'old' and not modern (and our rates reflect this) however I disagree with you on all your other comments.
You had booked a NON REFUNDABLE reservation for 2 weeks through booking.com, which came with a reduced rate.
The day after your arrival you came to reception stating that the room was not like the pictures shown, so I asked you to show me the picture. Indeed, the room you were allocated was not like the one you saw in the picture as you reserved a single bed room (and were allocated a double room) and the one in the picture was a 2 bedroom apartment. However, as you stated you were here on business and would have liked a table in the room, I offered to change your room to a another double room which was much larger and had the required table. You thanked me for this and all seemed good.

Two days later (3 nights into your stay) you came down to reception informing me that you would like to cut your stay short as your plans had changed.
I informed you that as you had made a NON REFUNDABLE reservation I was unable to issue a refund. Your temper started flaring saying that it was insane and that you wanted your money back and that I was wrong, and that if I did not refund you, you would leave a bad review on all possible entities....I obviously do not take kindly to such threats, and informed you that you are free to do so, and that it would not make a difference to my decision, and that it was best to end the conversation here as there was no point in arguing. At no point did I shout at you, we are not children!
All this time there was a repeat guest of ours stood by me at reception listening to it all.
Still not satisfied with my reply you went to your room grabbed your laptop to look up the meaning of NON REFUNDABLE and again you came to reception to try to prove your point. The guest who was stood by me actually told you that your attitude was wrong and aggressive and that you should have not spoken to me the way you did, so much so that you actually appologised to me!

I then decided out of my good will and against NON REFUNDABLE booking polices, as I do not like to upset guests, to refund you 200 euro which covered 5 nights accommodation. Therefore out of 14 nights you stayed 3 refunded 5 and charged a 6 night penalty.
I would like to point out that at no point did you state you were leaving for any other reason other than that you had to cut your stay short. On your way out I actually gave you a further 12 euro refund for the ECO TAX.

On reading this review, where you point out the construction opposite our hotel, and the noisy street, and noise from a bus at 3am (which was a party bus celebrating new graduates passing also in many other streets on the island), we note that these complaints have nothing to do with our hotel and as much as we would like them not to be happening, they are beyond our control.
I also reply to your 'not enough hot water' comment, where you state the boiler is too small....an 80 litre individual water boiler is more than enough for 2 persons to use and we have never had a complaint about this is all the years we have been operating.

Thank you for your comment and I do hope that the rest of your stay in Malta was a pleasant one.

Regards
Fiona Broome Camilleri
Manager

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Centrally located in St. Julian's, near bar and restaurant areas. Clean room but rather poor standard. There is a huge construction work across the street (for a new shopping center), with disturbing noise starting at 6 AM. Friendly and helpful staff. Basic breakfast buffet. Poor wifi with very low speed and frequent dropouts.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank swedoc
Reviewed 1 November 2017

The hotel is quite good located, close to the port of Saint Julian and the bars. The price per night is good and the room was clean but old. The breakfast was included and nice. The reception clerk was always nice and helpful. Unfortunately, we had a construction area in front of our window which mad the stay a bit noisy.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank Seraina E
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

POSITIVE:
+ Right in St Julian, close to Sliema and Valletta.
+ Taxi spot and bus stop around the corner.
+ Very nice own restaurant.
+ Friendly and helpful staff.
+ Private balcony on entire 2nd floor and corner rooms on 3rd and 4th floor.
+ Private refrigerator with small freezer.
+ Free safety box.
+ Nice supermarket across the street.
+ Air conditioning in room.
+ Free toiletries.
+ Sufficient good breakfast buffet (different toasts, different yoghurts, different fresh fruits, ham, salami, cheese, butter, jams, honey, beans, sausages, scrambled eggs, different sweets, coffee, tea, juices and water).
+ Good daily cleaning with possibilities of exchanging your bigger and smaller towel.
+ Good price value (€71/night in mid Oct'17).

ASPECTS OF IMPROVEMENTS:
- Small but sufficient toilet. The fan is a bit noisy.
- Sun terrace. With some improvements such as more seats, sun beds and sun shade, cooling shower and a small bar service this could be turned into an oasis benefitting guests and hotel.
- If you're claustrophobic, avoid the elevator. Use the stairs to burn off calories.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Wonderful weeks stay at rokna. Usual spotless accommodation, good food and helpful friendly staff. My sister and I are pensioners and feel totally relaxed here. Sunny weather so walked to St Georges bay to relax and caught nearby buses to explore Malta from St julian.

Date of stay: October 2017