Playa Tropical Resort Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$55
Java Hotel(Laoag)
US$63
US$47
Agoda.com
All reviewsplaya tropicalinfinity poolnice placeroad tripilocos nortefloating hutsthe cottagesfree breakfastwedding partybalinese themeservice staffpaoay churchdays nightstheir policycooking skillspremier roomdiscounted rate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2017

Dropped by for a single night of a long road trip.
Very nice resort and beach. Howeve there could be small improvements. Little things like the showers and other things need attention but it didnt ruin our stay. As is expected in the philippines.
The staff were very friendly and attentive. upon arrival the front desked asked if I would like my car washed after the long drive from manila. This was great because i was thinking i need to wash it before our next leg on the trip. Kudos to them for that.
All staff very kind as i mentioned.

Price was a little bit high i think.
I also notice after we booked that we could have booked through booking .com and save 1000 p. We did ask for the discounted rate but were told no.
I suggest booking online, even if one from your phone you could save 1k.

All in all. Nice place but could be better.

Room Tip: Book online and save 25% booking.com
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Playa for 8 days in a big group of 21 people. We had rooms on the first floor. The rooms are fine in standard. Its a not a room you wanna stay in for hours but is okay for just sleeping. We experienced some difficulties with the shower which needed some repair.

The resort is designed to perfection and really suits people that wanna have a nice and quiet time to relax. The pool area is nice and the pool is huge and looks nice, however the lack of drainage worried me a bit and my son did experience a few stomach aches. I suspect the water in the pool for causing this as this is where he spent most of his time. I swam a lot myself and did notice some green algea on the side of the infant pool.

The staff is what makes me rate the resort 4 out of 5. I have travelled a lot throughout the years and this is by far the friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever come across. The service in the restaurant is amazing. They always got it right and even remembered what I like for breakfast after day one asked me every morning if I wanted it again. They are very humble in everyway and truly appreciates a kind attitude towards them as well. Always willing to go the extra mile for their guests.

The hotel lacks a pool bar with music and visible alcohol/spirits, however this would also influence on the resorts current tranquil athmosphere.

I can defintely recommend a stay with Playa Tropical resort and Ilocos Norte in general. Great place amazing staff!!!!

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2017

Checked in to private villa, expecting to have a clean private pool, but dirty.
The room dirty, with dust. The staff were told to clean it, but has to do it twice..
The bed observed with small ants, they were asked to change the sheets,
The next day a sign placed to make up the room, but they did not. We have to address
it to them that evening. I personally will not come back to this place, because of the rate we were charged on the Villa.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2017

This place is picturesque and quite. It's tucked away in a small town south of Laoag. It has the potential tot be a pretty amazing getaway. Except its not.

We stayed for two nights in one of the 2-bedroom villas. Don't expect the warmth and welcoming attitude of the staff like you would from any good resorts. Upon arrival there were 5-6 staff members congregating at the front desk chit chatting (not completely unusual in the Philippines). There is a small bird, caged at the lobby that does not appear to be happy (its a love bird by himself in a dirty cage and he's obviously stressed because he's plucking his hair - see photos).

Once we got to our room there was dust every where on the furniture. Normally this won't bother me but we had already been on vacation for 2 weeks before this at various resorts throughout he Philippines and those other resorts were attentive to making sure rooms were clean. After we had asked for a re-dusting they spent about 10-min and was out of the room in a jiffy. They also didn't seem to appreciate us asking to re-clean the room. At $200/night I think its fair to expect the room to not be dusty. At this price, the expectation of quality should be high, particularly in the Philippines.

On the second day it got worst. There is a private pool in the backyard of the villa that was cloudy and stained. We asked them to clean it. It didn't get any better. The main pool wasn't any better either. The kids wouldn't get in the water. Go check out the pond surrounding the main courtyard. Its filled with algae and the tilapia fish does not look healthy.

We also had white sheets with blood stains (see photos) and weird dead bugs stains or whatever else it is on some of the curtains. Oh and see the photos below of cigarette buts throughout the private backyard.

After spending a day in Pagudpud we got back to the villa around 8pm and it wasn't cleaned. They did not service the villa.

Upon checkout, we told management about everything we experienced. We got the typical "oh I'm sorry you guys aren't the first to complain" ordeal but they really didn't do anything else for us nor do I think they will be doing anything to help improve the situation for other customers. Instead of taking our complaints as constructive I think they'd prefer to just brush us aside.

Its too bad this place has a lot of potential to be a great getaway but management does not seem to make an emphasis on maintenance, upkeep, and customer satisfaction. I hope this place improves. Part of the blame is the staff but I think management needs to do better. It won't be too long before this place will feels dated and dirty. The have some work to do.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank coolisjade
Reviewed January 21, 2017

Last January 3, 2017 we went there to visit the place with my nieces and nephews coming from US and stayed there for at least an hour only i guess. We just love to expolore beautiful places and resorts nearby area in Ilocos. We love the place and upon arriving there and my nephew Anthony TH approach the main desk and i find the staffs are approachable and nice though we dint get a room and just stayed only for a daytour tourist who love to enjoy the place and watch the spectacular sunset by the infinity pool and beach view scenes. Its so lovely place and nice for taking pictures every area of the resorts. I find its clean and picture perfect. And were looking forward to come back and stay at least a day at the resort again. Superb and beautiful place to stay when you visit Ilocos. More power and stay beautiful Playa. :)

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family