“Always amazing. ALWAYS.”

Cottage Law Canteen
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Rosseau
Cuisines: Canadian
Description: We are a family run business serving the best coffee, espresso and lattes in town. We source local, non GMO and organic products whenever possible. You'll find pastries baked in house as well as fresh breakfast and lunch.
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

First off, I'd like to reply to the SINGLE poor review of CLC that not only is so completely untrue, but also over-the-top ridiculous.

-Everything on their menu is fresh, made in-house, delicious, flexible to all kinds of allergies and preferences, with beautiful layering of flavors and super interesting takes on classic favorites. I promise you, you'll never receive an "uncooked egg". That statement is just ridiculous. Stop being weird.

-So you went to the canteen several times, and hated it? Glutton for delicious punishment?... Or is this review just personal? Because it sounds REALLY personal. Clearly you need to get a grip.

-The prices are DEFINITELY NOT "Toronto prices". Tell me where you can get a HUGE BLT breakfast sandwich, a large flavored latte, an order of crepes, 2 soft drinks and a gigantic, home made brownie for under $16 in Toronto. Seriously, I'd love to know. McDonalds is more pricey. You're crazy. Seriously. Nuts.

Cory and Katie are not only beautiful, lovely, caring and, at times, OVERLY CONSIDERATE people to their many clients, they are also insanely good cooks, with terrific palettes, sizable portions and work sooooooo hard to make sure that everyone that leaves the canteen is happy and enjoyed their meal. They go above and beyond ALWAYS. It always feels like home... Comfortable, warm, with food made with care and love.

I recommend Cottage Law Canteen over any other food spot in town. My son and I are both so food fickle and Katie has ALWAYS made something so perfect, we've come back for more EVERY. SINGLE. DAY of our stay in Rosseau.

These are good kids, bringing something truly delicious and exciting to the village and I wish them many more years of prosperous business.

3  Thank Danny H

Reviewed 10 July 2015

I have been to the canteen a few times for both lunch and dinner and have been extremely pleased each and every time! Although it is rather small, it has a very charming and homey feel that is always welcoming. You can tell that the owners have really put their heart into running the restaurant.
The menu changes often but keeps some of the favourite items on the list and there is always fresh coffee. I have tried a couple different sandwiches but my favourite so far has to be the smoked salmon (not only did it taste great it looked beautiful!). You can tell by the presentation of the food as well as the creative twists on the menu that the owners have culinary training.
If you want comfort food cooked right, this is the place to get it in Rosseau. It is definitely worth checking out, especially if you do not want to spend too much money as the prices are extremely reasonable.

1  Thank Meghan H
Reviewed 30 June 2015 via mobile

Living close to Rosseau, we welcomed the opening of the Canteen as it provided an alternative to the only other retaurant in the village. Since it opened, we have attended the Canteen several times for breakfast, lunch and dinners and on special occasions for brunch. Recently, we went attended the restaurant for dinner. This latest visit prompted this review as we just could not sit back any longer and not comment on the disappointing experience we have had since the Canteen opened.

The gourmet spin on everything you order sometimes just doesn't work if you are looking for a simple sandwich. Uncooked eggs were another turn off, as was several dinner specials that just didn't live up to the discription. Combine the bad food experience with Toronto prices and you are guaranteed to walk away wondering why you continue to try the Canteen's food. Obviously, we were hopeful that things would improve.

They do make a good cup of coffee.

cottagelawcanteen, Owner at Cottage Law Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2015

My wife and I are truly sorry you feel this way. We take every compliment and complaint to heart. You mentioned several disappointing dinner specials as well as pricing without details. I can only wish you had approached us at the time of your meals so we would have had the opportunity to resolve any displeasures. We strive to deliver the highest quality home-made fair in a friendly environment for a fair price. We hope to welcome you back and provide you with a wonderful dining experience as others have enjoyed.

Thank you for the compliment on our coffee.

Reviewed 26 June 2015

The young couple who own the canteen met whilst working at the Crossroads Restaurant so the choice and quality of the food is excellent and home cooked. We had a quick lunch after visiting the nearby Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (well worth visiting), the coffee and the sandwiches were great value. As the house is small tables are limited and close together.

1  Thank Auxiliary7010
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Right in the heart of Rosseau ontario on the main road sits this quaint little house that holds the most wonderful food for breakfast and lunch and dinner. Katie and Cory do it all and do it right. The freshest ingredients great presentation everything is made with love and you can taste it. Fabulous homemade soups and desserts. They've had lots of experience and it shows.Their menu change to reflect the seasons. great coffee and hand crafted beverages, free wi fi of course and the cleanest bathrooms in Muskoka I'll bet. if you are in the area or traveling northward you must stop for soup and sandwich lunch. It's fun. The decor is cottage cool and the customers and regulars are amazing too. Open all year. You've got to stop on in. You'll be delighted. I was stating at my cottage with groceries but I had lunch with them three days in a row it was so neat

1  Thank praedewald