All reviewssunday lunchlovely foodsteaklovely placemy partnerdraught alesposter roomevening mealthe riverbirthday treatbig portionsmixed grillcooked to perfectionthe pubsoupcheese boardfamily meal
Reviewed 3 April 2018

My friend and I went for Sunday lunch (again!!) on Easter Sunday. They were incredibly busy and that was at just gone 12!.... We were made to feel most welcome and they recognised that we eat there regularly, which was lovely. We sat at our favourite table in the bar area (if you can call it a bar area as it is so stylish) we found the staff to be cheery, attentive and very professional. Our order was taken, we had the most tasty soup to begin with and then my friend ordered beef and I had the nut roast main. I can not praise the Chef enough, the food is consistently amazing and the portions of an extremely generous size. The accompanying veg were scummy and fresh. We had no room for a pudding so can't comment on that, but others coming out of the kitchen looked fab. Well done to all concerned and needless to say we WILL be back soon x

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Stayed between Christmas and New Year for a couple of nights. We had 2 rooms, one for my wife and I and one for my mother-in-law.

I'd purposely booked the 4 poster room which looked really nice on the photos and a standard double.

Upon arriving and being shown to our room, could straight away smell something unusual and after being in the room for a little while it didn't go away and it was clear it was coming from the bathroom, it was quite overwhelming and there was no way we could stay in the room. One of the members of staff came out and could smell it too.

Eventually we were moved into one of the standard rooms which just gave us a really disappointing feeling. It was really dated and quite tiny. Nowhere near as luxurious as the 4 poster room and actually nowhere near as nice as the standard room my mother in law was in. The problem was down to the drains being serviced but again disappointed we were given the room when the smell was so obvious - not sure how the staff could not smell it before we arrived.

We were refunded the difference in price between the rooms but then when we came to pay we were charged a different price compared to what we agreed on the phone when booking (no booking confirmation is provided). There was a very young lad that checked us out and took the payment and when I questioned the price he just looked at me. In the end I couldn't be bothered to argue the difference.

The food however was really nice, we ate at the restaurant the first night only and the service was top notch, the waitress (same member of staff that checked us in and moved us to another room) was so polite and worked her socks off. Would happily go back to eat and the bar area is lovely and cosy.

Just a shame about the room.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Ste_Raw
Reviewed 3 March 2018

A one night stay. The bedroom was comfortable and the food good. I’d like to have been a wider choice of draught ales. Excellent choices on the menu

The staff were efficient, but not exactly chatty or warm.

Room Tip: A great night’s sleep on a comfortable bed
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2018

This was our sixth stay here and as before found everything to be very enjoyable, the welcome warm and friendly, the accommodation comfy, excellent food and superb staff.
With views over the river Severn the location is ideal for visiting local attractions.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Dined here for the first time with some friends. Chose the three course meal for £19.95 which was indeed very nice. Carrot soup to start but the accompanying bread roll was tough, could have done with a few minutes in the oven to crisp it up. Lemon chicken with garlic for main with chips which was delicious, a good sized piece of chicken too. Lemon Posset for sweet, again delicious but the shortbread alongside it was chewy instead of crunchy. Why they don't include the coffee in with the meal is a mystery to me so had to pay extra for the few mouthfuls that came in the cup. Yes, would definitely go again.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with friends