“Extensive variety on the menu”
Review of Aquamarine Cafe

Aquamarine Cafe
Ranked #9 of 30 Restaurants in Kodiak
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We loved this place right next door to Henry’s. They offer beer on tap and wine. The menu is quite extensive. We recommend the seafood pie and eggplant Parmesan, but there are so many offerings. While I checked out the dessert menu, the portions are so filling we didn’t make it to dessert. This is definitely a place worthy of a return visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

We visited Aquamarine a couple of times, since most restaurants were closed on a Sunday. The restaurant has a good green salad I would recommend to anyone. Their burgers and other hot sandwiches we sample were also good, but nothing special.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

We ate here twice during our stay. My son tried a meat pizza which he did not care for. I had a steak salad. The lettuce was good but the "steak" appeared to be some meat mixed with onions that was served hot over the salad. Not very appetizing. The second time we tried a burger and a chicken sandwich. The chicken sandwich had an extreme amount of melted cheese on it- it took over the whole sandwich. I also had to go to the front counter to ask for napkins and a straw. We had the same server both times. He was friendly, but I don't think he has been in the restaurant industry long.
Also, the fan in the bathroom was black and covered with hair and fuzz. It was gross.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We wanted seafood while in Kodiak and decided on this place based on the reviews of the halibut tacos. Most of the restaurants are clustered in a square walking distance from the ferry dock and the museums so it was convenient. The service was not great. We were seated and then forgotten. When our waitress finally got over to us we ordered the bang bang shrimp appetizer and the halibut tacos, which the waitress said was their "special'. The appetizer was $20 but we thought we would get a bunch of shrimp. We also mistakenly thought that their "special' would be reasonably priced. So after we both ran out of water, my husband kept trying to get the waitress attention, she brought our shrimp and promptly disappeared again. We had to take silverware off another booth to eat our four shrimp. Four shrimp at five dollars each. We were pretty shocked by that. Then the halibut tacos came out. Two pretty decent pieces of halibut piled high with salad fixings and pineapple on flour tortillas. Pretty impossible to eat as a taco so we just used utensils and ate them like a salad. They were flavorful and the sauce on the side had a good spice to it. When the bill came and we realized each plate was $30, that's $15 a taco, we would have ordered only one plate. It was good but not that good. Waitress should have said it's their "specialty' and we would have thought twice and asked the price.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

We had 3 meals at the restaurant during our 3 day trip to Kodiak. As I've noted in other reviews dining options on Kodiak are limited, and since it was a holiday weekend a lot of places had limited their opening hours. Our best meal here hands down was our dinner on the 1st night of our trip. We also dined here for lunch, and to grab a pizza on the last day of our trip.

The restaurant is fairly small. It is family run with good service. You can see that they do get somewhat overwhelmed when busy, but servers are very friendly and efficient.

They have a fairly extensive menu with daily specials that are not listed. For dinner we started with a smoked salmon flatbread with red onions and creme fraiche. This flatbread was absolutely delicious. The crust was light, and fluffy, and the smoked salmon was delicious.

For entrees my husband and I both ordered the halibut tacos, which was one of their specials. The order came with 2 tacos, and a salad. The server recommended this entree, and we were not disappointed with the taste! The pieces of halibut on the tacos were a nice size, and the flavor combinations were absolutely delicious. We were very happy with our choice of this entree. But, we did find it to be a bit pricey at $30 a plate for 2 tacos and a small salad.

For dessert we ordered the Greek donuts at our servers recommendation. These were pieces fried dough served with honey, powder sugar, and vanilla ice cream. They were very different, and very tasty. The ice cream was very rich and creamy as well.

When we dined for lunch I ordered a gyro with a salad, and my husband ordered the Italian burger with a salad. We were satisfied with our choices. My gyro was very good, and had some great tzatziki sauce. The gyro meat was also very well seasoned. My husband's burger had a healthy portion of different meats on it. It was nice that we could have salads as a side dish without an up charge. Service again was friendly and efficient.

Our flight did not leave until 9pm so we decided to order a pizza to go, and were planning on eating it at the Kodiak Brewery. But, the brewery ended up being closed so we had to change routes, and asked if we could dine in. They were pretty busy at the time, but were able to accommodate us. Service again was very friendly. This pizza was not as good as the flatbread. It's hard to find good pizza in this state. But, it was made properly, and we left full! It was also decently priced at $25 for a 16 inch 2 topping.

All in all this restaurant has some great choices, and serves everything from brunch to dinner. The halibut tacos and flatbreads were outstanding! The restaurant is in a good location right downtown.