“Not a good experience at this dive centre”
Review of Oceanaddicts

Oceanaddicts
More attraction details
Owner description: Based onboard our ex Royal Navy Fleet Tender Oceanaddicts offer Scuba Diving trips to qualified divers from novice to experienced. We offer a full range of PADI scuba courses from Discover Scuba diving to Dive Master level. For the non diver we offer try dives and snorkelling experiences. Let our experienced instructors and guides lead you in an adventure of a lifetime. We also have B&B facilities on board or center boat "Embarr"
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

I was at this dive centre with a group in August 2017 and did not enjoy the experience at all.. Graham is very headstrong and does not take feedback well at all.. We had a very boring dive for w first dive and got given out to for not surfacing in exactly the right place on another dive despite the fact that we were within 50 metres of the boat in flat calm water. When I pointed out what I perceived to be a very dangerous practice of holding open a very heavy hatch with a block of wood on the dive boat I was told that we should pay attention and it wouldn't be a danger.. sure enough one of our group knocked off the block of wood when changing and nearly took the finger off another member. Quite simply an accident waiting to happen!
On the plus side Anne was very friendly and the food was lovely and there was plenty of it! The location of the dive boat is also great as it within an easy walk of Kinsale

All reviews
"rocks"
"boat"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2017

Graham & Anne were fabulous to deal with. A highly professional business. Strongly recommended by myself & my teenager. Trish

Anne F F, Owner at Oceanaddicts, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Thank you very much Trish and we are delighter you both had a good experience with us. Regards, Anne

Reviewed August 8, 2017

I had a fabulous day out with OceanAddicts. Organising everything beforehand was easy. Anne will take care of your request and get everything sorted out. The moment you get on the Embarr the adventure is about to begin. Any questions or problems - someone will be there to help you. Everything was taken care of and the crew is just great.

After getting really seasick on the prior dives I was hesitating a bit ... but their RIB is just great. And Graham is a fabulous captain there: smooth ride to the dive sites and he will drop you at the right spot with stunning precision. Dive sites were amazing and we saw dolphins on our way out (and in) three times in total. Very cool "add-on"!

When we got back from the first dive it was time for lunch ... and Anne prepared delicious soup + sandwiches along with a whole bunch of delicious baked stuff for desert. Good refreshment for the second dive of the day ;-).

All in all: Great experience and would love to go diving with OceanAddicts again. I regretted not staying in Kinsale for a whole weekend of diving :).

Anne F F, Owner at Oceanaddicts, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to Oceanaddicts and we are delighted you enjoyed your day with us. It was lovely having you on board. The dolphins are a bit tricky to organise so we cannot guarantee them every time. Maybe we'll see you again some time. Thank you again Anne & Graham

Reviewed June 2, 2017 via mobile

Ann & graham were great hosts .
We b&b on their navy tender .
It's compares to an upmarket hostel with good facilities great breakfast & fantastic view of the harbour .

Anne F F, Owner at Oceanaddicts, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2017

Thank you for you nice comments and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope the rest of your trip is fantastic Regards, Anne

See more reviews
Reviewed May 1, 2017

I had my first trip of 2017 back to Oceanaddicts a couple of weeks ago and it is as good as ever. Graham and Anne run my favourite dive centre anywhere, I have been diving with them since they started in business and over the last few years they have taken all of my business from the other dive centres in the country, I simply don't go anywhere else any more and visit Oceanaddicts five or six times a year.

The accommodation on board Embarr, a converted Royal Navy Fleet Tender, is very nice, there are two and four berth cabins, the beds are very comfortable and I normally sleep better on board than I do at home in my own bed. The cabins aren't en-suite but to be honest that doesn't mater.

Anne's cooking is incredible. Breakfast is pretty much whatever you want, whatever way you want it. When you come back on board after diving lunch is normally home-made soup, toasted sandwiches and the most incredible array of baked goodies - scones, cookies (chocolate-chip, peanut butter, ginger, etc.), flapjacks and buns (the lemon drizzle buns are amazing). You won't lose weight on board Embarr, that's for sure. Vegetarians can be catered for, just give them advanced notice.

Graham is a very experienced skipper and really knows the area well. Oceanaddicts don't guarantee you a particular dive site in advance, they do guarantee that you will get the best available diving for the prevailing conditions and experience level of your dive group and in my experience they have always delivered. Graham has never dropped me in the wrong place, at the wrong state of the tide or made the wrong call on the weather. The dive site briefs are always spot-on and easy to follow so you get the best out of each dive site.

There is a great range of dive sites from relatively shallow scenic reefs such as the Canyon at Back Head, deeper reefs such as the Bream Rock, offshore reefs such as the Ling Rocks and wrecks. Visibility varies with the weather and the time of year just like everywhere else, it was 8 to 10 metres at Easter this year and I have had 30+ metres on the Ling Rocks. Plankton blooms can reduce the visibility but don't spoil most of the dive sites. Plankton blooms can also bring in big filter feeders and I have swum with Basking Sharks near the Old Head.

The dive set up is good, there is a membrane compressor on board Embarr so Nitrox (up to 32%) is always available for appropriately qualified divers and they can fill up to 300 bar. It's a nice relaxed setup, you load your equipment into the kit room when you arrive, then it's just a matter of bringing it to the other side of the boat when you are going diving and you just drop it onto the RIB (a 9 metre boat with an inboard diesel engine and plenty of room) so you aren't hauling your equipment long distances which makes for a very relaxing trip. Rental equipment is available, it is good quality equipment and properly maintained.

When I arrive down I dump my gear on board, dump my car and I can just relax and not have to go anywhere (well maybe across the road to the pub at the end of an excellent day's diving) until it is unfortunately time to go home again.

I have been diving for more than 30 years and I am choosy about where I dive and who I dive with. In my opinion Oceanadicts really deliver a fantastic package and represent excellent value for money. Judging from the level of repeat business they get (I see a lot of the same faces every time I am on board Embarr) other people are of the same opinion.

1  Thank Divemaster2000
Anne F F, Owner at Oceanaddicts, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2017

Thank you Divemaster2000 for you kind words and we are really happy that you enjoy your stay and diving with us. We love having you back on board, it's always a pleasure. we are looking forward to you next trip. Thanks again Anne