“Excellent Meals - Friendly Staff”
Review of Gate Inn

Gate Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Osbaston
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Gate Inn is situated on the A447, just south of Ibstock and only 4 miles from the historic Bosworth Battlefield. The pub is easily accessible from Leicester, Loughborough, Burton on Trent and Hinckley. Situated in a rural setting, we provide an extensive menu which boasts a range of classic dishes, complimented supported by a broad range of specials, which are changed regularly. This menu is supported by our fantastic Two for £10 offer - Monday to Friday 12pm - 5pm! Having had an extensive refurbishment in May 2011, the pub now offers more dining space and a fantastic new garden area, with a series of dining areas and a new children's area. With a great range of products available form our bar, our extensive menu we assure of a relaxing time, both inside the pub and in our fabulous garden.
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

My first visit to the gate, but it won’t be my last. The food was delicious my wife ordered a steak that was cooked perfectly. I opted for the gammon which was served with both pineapple and egg. (Most restaurants can’t cook a fried egg) this was spot on!
The staff were friendly too. I look forward to returning very soon.
My reason for a 4 star not a 5 is like other reviews have stated the pub needs a lick of paint in places.

Charlotte J, General Manager at Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Simz61

Thank you for your recent review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

Very local to me and used to visit 1 to 2 times a week.
Salad severed with lasagne was dirty, chewed and shielded up, pointing this out we were put in our place by staff who said salad came pre washed. They were willing to change it, but probably for more of the same. Serving staff member, like building shabby.

1  Thank peterlee7777
Charlotte J, General Manager at Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Dear peterlee7777

Thank you so much for your recent review. We are sorry your visit didn’t meet your expectations.

If you wish to discuss your comments further please email on
Gateinn.osbaston@marstons.co.uk

Many thanks

Reviewed 26 June 2018

A lovely sunny Saturday afternoon/early evening we went to The Gate for a bite to eat. It was very quiet inside and out, very strange, hardly any customers and very few visible staff. We sat in the beer garden like we often do on a sunny day….the table was dirty but I just used a napkin to clean it a bit. We ordered our food and the starter came out quickly. I stuck my fork in the salad…there was a grey object. Picked it up to look what it was….raw fish skin!!! Gross! I am assuming they wash the fish in the same sink they wash their salad. There were actually two pieces in the salad. We called someone over (we had to ask if they were a waitress as they just finished a cigarette whilst clearing a table – she explained was helping out off duty). Not fair on the staff if they are being roped in to help off duty. She apologised and said she would replace it. The same breaded mushrooms came back (they had the salt on that I had added) but were on a new plate with a fresh salad. I really didn’t want to eat them as they had been next to raw fish skin. I had a couple and the dog finished them.

The mains came out, I had the half a spit roast chicken with butter milk and jalapeno sauce, sweet potato fries and corn on the cob. The chicken skin was soggy (definitely not a spit roast chicken), the chicken underneath was slimy. The fries were overcooked and dark brown, the sauce was horrible (sickly sweet and not spicy at all – maybe it was the wrong sauce?). I ate the corn on the cob and the dog had the chicken. My son had the gammon which was nice. My husband had a steak and ale pie, well an ale pie really. The meat was that fatty and chewy the dog got the meat from this too! Lucky dog! He said the gravy and pastry was ok.

We didn’t go back in doors to look for a member of staff to complain, we waited to see if anyone would table check but I guess this was wishful thinking. In hindsight we should have complained, I begrudge paying £45 for the load of rubbish we were served. We normally come here a lot over the summer months as the garden is so nice and the food is usually ok (a cheap mid-week eat as they do 2 meals for £10 Monday to Friday).

Not sure if this place has changed hands or what….

2  Thank 1976-SA
Charlotte J, General Manager at Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Dear 1976 SA

Thank you for leaving your feedback. I am sorry your visit wasn’t an enjoyable one.

I would be interested in discussing this further with you.

Please can you drop me an email gateinn.osbaston@marstons.co.uk

I will look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 10 June 2018

I’m not difficult to please and a simple Chicken salad surely can’t be hard to wrong ?
Me and partner called in for lunch she’s not massive on burgers and chips consequent ordered Chicken salad , it came out 2 cherry tomatoes lettuce leaves brown on edges 6 cubes of chicken and without a dressing. They wanted £8.20 for that so promptly sent it back and asked to take off bill. Nobody came out to apologise or ask what they could do. We went to pay bill and place turned into Marie Celeste with no staff, it took ages to pay up and get out of the place I won’t ever go back it was rubbish.

Charlotte J, General Manager at Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear philxx00

Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed to
Hear that we didn’t meet your expectations.
If you would like to discuss this further with the management team please give us a call 01455290502.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

My friend and I visited for a spot of lunch we have both been coming here over the years and always found it good. This time however we didn't!! My friend order nachos and a salad the waitress was pleasant but when she got her food half way through eating her nachos their was a great big fly stuck in there !!. We told the waitress and she apologised and said she would replace them, but by that time my friend had been put off and reay struggled to eat the new food that was brought out.
Please make sure your checking the food before bringing out to a customer no one wants to see a fly in their meal !!.

Dear Sarah f

Thank you for comments. I am so sorry to hear about your meal being ruined. Unfortunately being that it’s summertime and the doors and windows are open in the pub itself as it’s gets so warm, we do attract flies into the building, there is adequate preventions in the kitchen with fly screens and fly killers.

As you know from being a regular customer that this isn’t the standard.

I am sorry this ruined your meal and I’m pleased the waitress rectified your issues.

We do hope to see you again soon