“Slow service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

On the 4th of April 2018 myself and three others called in at lunch time and ordered our meals. We had to wait a ridiculous amount of time but eventually or food was served and it was ok. (not great but ok). We all decided to have a desert so we ordered that. Again the wait was incredible. Despite the very slow service we wanted the tip the server so after he gave us the bill we paid him the money and when he gave us the change we took this and gave him a £5 tip. Later when we had left and was home we noticed in the change he had given us was two out of circulation £1 coins. All in all not a very good experience!

2  Thank Martin W
The_Otter-GM, Manager at Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Martin W
First of all I would like to apologise for the slow service you had here at The Otter. If there was a problem with the meals we would of been happy to replace the meals for fresh ones. If you would like to bring the two old pound coins back on your next visit we would happily replace them for new ones.

I have spoken with the team on shift that day and we are all working on improving the level of service. We take on board all guest feedback and will strive to improve.

Tom and The Team @ The Otter

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We normally visit the Otter once a month for the carvery but having visited on Sunday with 5 of us the beef was very tough and I did tell the waitress who said she would pass on the comments .

The Turkey and Gammon was lovely but having spent in excess of £65 on the meal and at the bar I was disappointed

1  Thank Kevin E
The_Otter-GM, Manager at Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Kevin E

Thank you for your review of The Otter. We have passed your comments onto our meat supplier regarding the Beef.
If you were unhappy with paying the full price you could of brought this to the attention of The Duty Manager, then we could of looked into the bill for you.

Tom & The Team @ The Otter

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

First and most definitely my last visit to this restaurant! Arrived with 5 adults and four children, aged between 9 months and 5 years. Orders were taken by the assistant manager, who may I add had not one bit of knowledge on customer service nor manners. Food arrived and four of the meals were under cooked, with one having a string of cellaphine throughout the dish! My steak, which I wanted cooked well done as I am 8 months pregnant, came back pink so I asked for it to be cooked for longer to which the assistant manager wasn’t happy with. Once the four meals were replaced, we went ahead to eat our meals to then overhear the assistant manager disclosing her unfriendly feelings to another member of staff about our table saying “deal with that table because I’m not”, now correct me if I’m wrong but all we wanted was a hot and properly cooked meal, is that too much to ask for at “such a friendly restaurant”?. I believe not. The assistant manager then came back to discuss the cellaphine in the lasagne situation to which she stated “it’s not plastic it’s the skin of a red onion, I’ll just take your meal off the bill!” So my friend was left hungry and without a dinner, no offer to replace her meal! They were under staffed & the staff that they had were abrupt, rude and plain horrid. What we hoped to have been a friendly gathering for a four year olds birthday, turned out to be quite the opposite! Neither me nor my friends and family will be returning due to this appalling visit. Would not recommend.

1  Thank danaleighx3
The_Otter-GM, Manager at Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Hi Danaleighx3

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the poor visit you had with us at The Otter. The issues with the food were resolved on the day as two of the meals were free of charge.

I hope you take the time to visit us again as this is not how things are done here at The Otter.

Tom and The Team @ The Otter

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner went for a meal here tonight 13th March..we 1st asked for a burger they had none ok so we ordered rump steak...one medium rare one medium too well done...when we received our food the meduim/ rare was more blue and flooded my plate with blood and the other was more are ..we thought we wouldn't complain but let it go ..after having a sip of our drinks the waitress came over and said will that be all obvious in a rush to close but we were still hungry so we had apple pie and custard and ordered two more drinks the waitress seemed very put out by our wanting too stay..when our deserts arrived they were the tiniest halfed cooked pieces of pie we had ever seen..we ate these though as we were starving as our mains were so bad...we then started to chill and have our drinks the waitress was still obviously trying too usher us out as without us asking for it slapped our bill in the table then 10 minutes later very rudely brought the cash card machine over and practically demanded we paid...the service we received was appalling I do not like being rushed when eating and will ask for the bill when I'm ready...a full review of your staff maybe in order and definetly some training on table manners and etiquette..we will be referring this higher as we were so badly treated...definitely not recommending this place to any one and given the abundance of eating establishments around you would think when people actually choose yours you would be curtious..i hope this place closes down until properly trained people are employed and a chef who knows how to cook ..disgusted and would never ever go back

1  Thank ianandnad
The_Otter-GM, Manager at Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Dear Ianandnad,

Please Accept my apologies for the poor visit you had at The Otter. We are currently having supplier issues with our fresh Burgers and are working hard to get everything back on track. I do hope that on the day you mentioned the problems that you had so the team could rectify the issues there and then. We will always try to solve all issues that arise and strive to make sure all of our guests leave happy.

I have discussed the comments you have raised with my team and we are all working to improve the level of service.

Kind Regards

Tom & the Team @ The Otter

Reviewed 7 March 2018

The Otter is a great place that me and my significant other always visit. The food from here is always fantastic and the service is always polite and helpful. Also, the food service is often fast here. The menu varies also as there is a vast selection and the 2 for 1 offer that is constantly on makes this a relatively in-expensive meal for two people. The Otter is extremely welcoming with the great look and feel of the restaurant. In conclusion, the Otter is a great looking restaurant with a relatively in expensive menu and great service. Would recommend for a couple or any family to come here and enjoy the great food they serve.

The_Otter-GM, General Manager at Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear callumparry,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is refreshing to see on Trip Advisor positive remarks for the team to discuss.

Look forward to seeing you again soon,

Andy & The Team @ The Otter