Yerette Home of the Hummingbird

Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Yerette
All reviews his wife light lunch slide show beautiful birds awe inspiring his knowledge bird watching private home knowledgeable host gloria species photos lecture feeders trinidad nature context
Selected filters
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited Yerette with a group of friends. I had heard that this was a great place to photograph humming birds and it really was. Yerette is essentially the owner's (Theo) back garden, but with a mix of plants and bird feeders it attracts a whole host of humming birds. There is a 45 minute talk by Theo to start and we also had breakfast. To get decent photos you would probably want a minimum of a 300mm lens. I managed to get some decent photos armed with a 175-500mm zoom and a monopod. Our stay was approx 3 hours before the next party arrived. I would recommend a visit and I'll certainly be going again.

4  Thank Martin_Doc
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I took my 2 children aged 14 and 11 to Yerette where we were served afternoon tea as we enjoyed what seemed like a milling humming birds zooming around. I really just dragged them there on one of our "educational outings" and never expected them to enjoy it as much as they did. Yerette has been created by placing bird feeders in the garden of the Ferguson's home to attract the birds, already in abundance in the Maracas Valley in which Yerette is located. Tea is served on the verandah, was rather enjoyable and included local fare as well. Get directions because the road is a bit meandering to get up there and the parking is not spacious given that it is a private residence. Viewing is by appointment only though so this helps I guess to manage the number of visitors at any one time. When we went we were alone and I think this helped too. I don't think that I would have enjoyed my visit as much with a bunch of strangers in such a small space. We were prepared for a hike but it really just involves walking around the small to medium sized garden or sitting on the verandah for viewing. Dr. Ferguson is very knowlegeable and presents a worthwhile DVD and photographs all of his own taking; some of these are also for sale and make marvelous gift items. He was also very good with the children. The surroundings are clean and welcoming.

Date of experience: September 2012
5  Thank Fairyonhip
Reviewed February 21, 2013

So many humming birds all over the garden! And Mr Ferguson's DVD presentation is fabulous
Check the time of visit to get sunshine on the birds.

Date of experience: January 2013
3  Thank Marie_Claude972
Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you love up close and personal encounters with nature, you will love this location. You see, hear and feel hummingbirds surrounding you at the Ferguson's home. They have many hummingbird feeders and gardens attracting hummingbirds and mr. Ferguson's passion and knowledge is incredible and fascinating. He is an avid photographer so if you can't take the award winning photo on your trip, you can buy his photos. Mrs. Ferguson prepared a lovely tea that was enjoyed by all in our party.

Date of experience: February 2013
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I visited Yerette in Trinidad it was a very tranquil visit and I enjoyed it immensely. Theo and Gloria may us feel very welcome and the whole experience was second to none. Seeing those birds was a wonderful thing and I will treasure my visit forever. Keep up the good work Mr and Mrs Ferguson and remember Theo we are family now.God Bless you both and I have my Picture to Treasure forever.x

Date of experience: January 2013