“Historic bridge”
Review of Pont d'Espagne

Pont d'Espagne
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Cauterets
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

All info is in French so if you don’t know your French read the history before you go. Directions are not clear, so watch closely so you don’t end up on a one hour hike somewhere in the mountains.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"gushing"
"shoes"

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed with friends in France and decided to do this together (they had been before!). My husband and a friend took the chair lift and I decided to walk as I am frightened of heights. As we were on holiday I had not packed walking boots or trainers so asked if my Birkenstocks would be ok? As long as you don’t mind stones in your shoes occasionally they said I would be ok!!! Well..... I’m sure there are a number of French holiday makers who are laughing hysterically as I tried to manage the walk!!! It is almost vertical in points and clambering over rocks (some of which were 3ft high) was not conducive. EVERY other person was wearing walking boots, had a rucksack and most had walking sticks to enable them to tackle the rough terrain. It is a solid 75 minutes walk and you need water in the heat. (33 degrees the day we went!!!)
My husband was sitting at the top waiting and we did have a conversation about whether I should take the chair lift back down but he said it would be too high for my vertigo!!! Hence another long walk down! It is amazing and the lake and view are beautiful and there is a little shop to buy ice cream. But be prepared!!!!!!!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We are husband wife (66 and 67) and although the trail is rough going, we managed it very well. The estimated time to walk from the car park is 1hr 15mins, however we did it in an hour with stops for photos. To reach the lake was the “ icing on the cake “ . So peaceful and beautiful.
The walk up and back was stunning through the forest, with the gushing waterfalls and birds.
We did not eat at the cafe, but just bought cool drinks. The waitress was happy to refill our water bottles at no charge.
This walk is a must if visiting Cauterets (a 7 Klm drive from the town).
Parking costs €6.50 for vehicle. I think for all day but check this out first.

1  Thank warners1
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Despite pouring rain, this visit was well worth it. The waterfalls are amazing and although the chair lift to the lake was not working on the day that we were there it was still a great experience. There is a small cafe/restaurant there which serves great hot chocolate.
Make the effort - it is worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 March 2018

The cable broke down on 30th Aug 2017 causing a 1 3/4 hour delay to our trip down to Le Cauteret for the second cable care journey to the Pont de L'espagne.

As the cable car was not repaired until 3.30 hours, the cable car at le Cauteret was closed when got there so we could not get a refund. It was the last day of our holiday!

I am looking for a refund for the two tickets for the second part of the journey . My ticket number is OS-2124981. Otherwise I will be going through my bank to recover the money

3  Thank lag1966