Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Rosapetra Spa Resort(Cortina d'Ampezzo)
US$244
US$237
Hotels.com
Ambra Cortina Hotel(Cortina d'Ampezzo)
US$176
Hotel Aquila(Cortina d'Ampezzo)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$78
Hotel da Beppe Sello(Cortina d'Ampezzo)
US$117
Hotel Piccolo Pocol(Cortina d'Ampezzo)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$71
Hotel Olimpia(Cortina d'Ampezzo)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$82
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Faloria Mountain Spa Resort(Cortina d'Ampezzo)
US$10,221
Hotel Meuble Villa Neve(Cortina d'Ampezzo)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$105
Hotel Capannina(Cortina d'Ampezzo)(Great Value!)
US$862
  • Restaurant
Hotel Bellevue Suites & SPA(Cortina d'Ampezzo)
US$1,112
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsshuttle servicepiano barbeautiful hotelgazebo restaurantgym facilitiesfantastic conciergegreat ski roomsun deckbottle of cokean upgradethe hotel sitsski experiencedining staffbreakfast serviceon demandenjoyable experiencedinner reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 20, 2017

It was a truly enjoyable experience! Extremely warm and pleasant atmosphere, remarkably good and professional service, immediate response in relation to all the special requests made before, as well as during our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with The Leading Hotels of the World
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

It was our first time on holiday in Cortina, but I had heard really great things about it and that Cristallo was the best hotel one could find in the neighbourhood. So I promptly checked on the website for a room over a one week period during Christmas.

Needless to say, the prices were exorbitant (I booked about a month before arrival) but we decided to treat ourselves to a more luxurious stay as a Christmas present to ourselves, also because this hotel was recommended by friends.

When we arrived late at night, we were impressed with the grand location of the hotel, the estate is situated on top of a hill, very elegantly decorated with Christmas lights, trees and floral arrangements. All was great and we were excited to see our room. The prices we had paid are equivalent to a night at an Aman hotel and certainly way above the price point for Four Seasons Whistler where we were a couple of years ago. We really had high expectations and wanted to love the hotels for enjoy our weeklong ski holiday.

However upon being shown our room, my husband and I tried but couldn't hide our disappointment at how small it was, no closet space, not even a small table. There was one small exit that led to a balcony and that was the only natural light we had to the room. I would describe it as a den or small cave, definitely inappropriate for the hotel to sell this room at all. Perhaps as a single? The bed was what they called a French bed, which is for sure smaller than a Queen sized bed and not sufficient for two adults. The bathroom was so small, there wasn't space around the sink to put the amenities. This felt like a three star room in Manhattan! We were given a welcome tray of cookies and apples (as part of the booking), but since there wasn't a table, everything was just piled on the small tv cabinet which looked like it would fall apart anytime soon. If we had been told all the features of the room when I was booking it, or even given a picture, I would have definitely not taken it. Certainly not at that price and not even at half the price. My booking confirmation stated queen or king sized bed and it was unfair to be given something less than queen.

It was past 11pm local time and we sadly unpacked and debated whether we should request for a switch in rooms, not something we often do or are comfortable with doing. However once we laid on the bed, we decided that it would be quite impossible to live in the cave for an entire week, so we went to speak to the person on duty downstairs. Unfortunately he couldn't do anything immediately but did take a note of our request.

In the morning, we went downstairs for the buffet breakfast. The selection wasn't bad, mostly the usual breads, cold cuts, fruits and a couple of hot trays like scrambled eggs and sausages. I was most impressed with the juicer available at the buffet where I made my concoction of apple, carrot and cucumber juice with tumeric and cinammon powder. They would also give us a three tier tray of croissants and pastries. We did suspect they recycled these trays as one morning, one of the croissants was missing a corner. After a week of the same breakfast though, we did get quite sick of the selection.

Back to the story of the room, the manager, Giovanni was notified of our request, so when we went to speak to him after breakfast, we were pleased that he was apologetic and said he was trying to figure out how to resolve it. The problem was, he said, the hotel was at max capacity due to Christmas and it would be difficult. But he reassured us he would give us some options. We agreed that we would consider paying up for an upgrade. After a while, we were escorted to check out a suite that had a living room with a bedroom which had a king sized bed, lots of space both in the bathroom and the bedroom. We discovered that actually for our category of rooms, they ought to be of a similar standard to the suite we saw minus the living room. You can imagine how outraged we felt! The manager was very helpful and sympathetic throughout this incident (he really was a life saver!) and finally he said he would bring us to check out one room that he wouldn't normally consider an option, but maybe we would prefer it. There wouldn't be extra charges either. Room 112 turned out to be sizeable, has a table with two chairs, a king sized bed and a nice large window overlooking the mountains. There was even a corridor with closets at the entry! This is so much more comfortable than the den. The only downside was that the bathroom was one designed for handicapped, which meant railings by a ginormous toilet and we bid our jacuzzi shower tub farewell, but given the limited choice, this will do. By the way, the spa is awesome and the pool as well. Lots of babies and children when we were there, but it was big enough that we didn't feel bad about it.

We moved rooms and had no more complaints on the room for the rest of the holiday. Housekeeping is top notch. We were able to enjoy skiing and the shuttle service was very efficiently run and often felt more like a private car service. Moreover the ski room is very cozy and well serviced with delicious vin brûlée for when you get back from a tiring day out on the slopes. Too bad there was no snow while we were there!

Food and beverage:
As it was Christmas, the hotel sold us a couple of event options over the holidays. I assumed most restaurants might be closed on Christmas Day, so decided to join the Christmas dinner buffet. Well, that was a really bad choice. A third of the buffet felt like it was the breakfast buffet recycled. Everything was mostly cold and of a poor quality. The hot dishes were turkey, lasagne and traditional soup dumplings. This was just so disappointing, at 90 euros a head, really? We started to really doubt the F&B at the hotel.

We ate at the Gazebo restaurant one night where we were told by friends that they had good cheese fondue. Turns out, it was their other restaurant that did a traditional fondue and Gazebo had a modern take on fondue, which is like a cheese soup with a slow cooked egg in the soup. It tasted alright. But we were disappointed we didn't get the traditional fondue. Food was good though. The manager told us to try the other restaurant for traditional cheese fondue.

So we did go to the Verandah the last night before we were due to check out. Unfortunately, the restaurant had been booked out for a private event and as we were walking away, we ran into the f&b manager who was so kind to us that he said he wanted us to have fondue that night for dinner. He made a few calls down to the kitchen and finally said that if we didn't mind sitting in a more secluded part of the dining room because the cheese had a strong smell, he could offer us the fondue for dinner. Maybe we should have taken the hint that the restaurants were so busy dealing with the private event that they wouldn't be able to cater well to us. But we accepted since the manager was so kind to go out of the way to help us. So they set the table and brought the small cubes of ham,bread and potatoes. Then the cheese came in a pot, but no fire or long sticks.. the waiter proceeded to spoon it into bowls for us, just like the cheese soup fondue we had the other night... we were just speechless and I felt like I could cry by then. The f&b manager came by to check on us and discovered what the staff had done and promptly tried to fix it and told us he would restart the process and that the fondue is complimentary. I was getting really hungry and ordered a portion of fries. It never came. :( no apologies either even though we were reassured that we would be getting it soon! What did come back was the cheese soup but on a mini stovetop. Even though I am not local, I know that a cheese fondue is meant to be thick and gels to the bread or meat or potato that one sticks in, not a creamy liquid that wouldn't even soak into the bread. We were so disappointed, words cannot describe. When the bill came, we were charged 35 euros for the fondue and not comped as promised. Service at the restaurant was awfully slow. Unfortunately we had ourselves to blame and we should have insisted that perhaps they were too busy to entertain us and leave for another restaurant instead. We wasted a good meal in Italy... we really didn't want to fuss about the small amount of money we paid but really left the hotel with a bitter taste in our mouth.

So there goes our one week in Cortina at the Cristallo. I think we may stick to Whistler or Niseko next time.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuperSLondon
CristalloManagement, Direttore generale at Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2017

Dear SuperSLondon,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay and sorry for the delay in my response: I wanted to check everything you mentioned in your comment with my staff before answering and make sure that I have all the pieces of information. I am really sorry anyhow we were not able to discuss these issues personally during your last visit at the Cristallo. We would eventually have tried to recover each of them in order to make sure your stay were smooth and clean…….at least according to your expectations. Each stay is different and each case needs its special attention to make it wow, very often we succeed in that, or to recover it when it is needed sometimes. As now for example.
There are quite a few aspects to talk about and I hope I am able to cover all of them, I am quite confident that we can solve the situation and change your mind. Starting from the rooms I would like to explain that all our rooms are different one from another, some with a king size bed and some with the French size one, that is way we always write in our confirmation that you can get either one or the other. I am happy to know that our Front Office Manager Giovanni helped you find another accommodation which was more suitable to your expectations: even if the bathroom has no architectural features, the room is bigger and it has the view, a good compromise I would say.
I am sorry to read that you did not appreciate the way we prepare our Italian Fondue: we are proud to propose a recipe that sticks to traditions and represents the area we are in. We really wanted you to taste the real Cristallo cuisine in order to convey you an unforgettable gastronomic experience and I am sorry we were not successful in it.
My deep hope is that you will be willing to give you a second chance in order to change this bad memory and turn the Cristallo into an unforgettable place. If you are so kind to do so, please let me know and it will be my personal task to check that everything is set according to your needs and expectations.

Really looking forward to welcoming you again, I send you my warmest regards,

Giampaolo Padula

Reviewed January 4, 2017

Booked an afternoon at the spa.
Booking experience was good, no issues, with gym and spa facilities both available for 70 euros.
Changing room are not particularly big, and they were surprisingly dirty.
Hair everywhere, bottles of shampoo opened and left in the shower.
You wouldn't expect it from a 5 stars facility at 70 euros for an afternoon.
Lockers very small.
Gym facilities and swimming pool and sauna are outstanding, with a fantastic view.
However, not worth the money in view of the disappointing experience

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
CristalloManagement, Direttore generale at Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2017

Dear benedettauk,

Thanks for your feedback on your experience here at Cristallo Hotel Spa & Golf.
First of all I do apologize for being late in my response: I am really sorry anyhow we were not able to discuss this issue personally during your last visit at the Cristallo Ultimate Spa. We would eventually have tried to find a solution in order to make sure your day at our spa were up to your expectations. Each experience is different and each case needs its special attention to make it wow, very often we succeed in that, or to recover it when it is needed sometimes. As now for example.

Please allow me to respond in kind to your feedback below as I am responsible for the delivery of all experiences here at the Hotel Cristallo in Cortina: I know this will not change your mind, but let me tell you that I have personally talked to both the Spa and the Housekeeping staff in order to be sure that the changing rooms will be cleaned every time a guest leaves the spa, so that inconveniences like the one you are talking about will not happen again. As you kindly note, we are a 5-star hotel and our guests, all of them, deserve to receive the best out of any single moment here at Cristallo in any part of it.

Next time you will be here, and I truly hope there will be another occasion, please get in touch with me directly and I will be more than ready and willing to grant you a special treatment. I would really like to prove you that this time was really unfortunate……..we all make sure you will forget what happened, it is truly our deepest hope.

Sure to see you again here at Cristallo, I send you my warmest regards,

Giampaolo Padula

Reviewed October 17, 2016

We love this Hotel and the staff who gave us excellent service. Thank you very much. The breakfast was perfect,and the spa department we really enjoyed. We had only two days in Cortina,but it was two lovely days. The beautiful weather and the amazing hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with The Leading Hotels of the World
Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

For us this was the surprise and the highlight of the trip. We selected Cortina as it was mid-way between St. Moritz and Salzburg, but after staying at the Cristallo I can say with certainty we will be returning. For one reason Cortina is positively beautiful. Not only the town, but the surrounding areas. Second reason (and the main reason) is the Cristallo. The hotel balances all the modern amenities you would expect of a 5-star hotel, but its wrapped in a package that speaks to a bygone era. The setting makes you expect that Donald Draper will be sitting in the bar having a cocktail. The hotel gives off the warmth you’d expect while at the same having a retro-vibe that doesn’t seem orchestrated. In the evening the lounge area had a duet with a mix of English and Italian classics. Outside very large deck area and lawn to enjoy a drink in the afternoon or evening.

Unless you know where you are going I recommend a Nav System for the car as its tucked away up above Cortina. Staff was very warm and welcoming and we got escorted to the room in no time. It was the off-season for Cortina, but the hotel was fully operational. Spa, Pool, Bar, etc… all staffed. Dinner at the hotel was great

Book a junior suite… The views of the mountains from the patio are breathtaking and the room is great.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple