“Would not go back”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2018

I barely remember the food here. I have no idea why this place is so well rated when there are so many better restaurants in Brescia. Their famous malfatti were underwhelming. The sauce on the gaunciale was one of the worst sauces I have ever had. The cook did not cook off the vinegar properly.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Recommended by our hostess, it was booked out first night but second night we ate there and thoroughly enjoyed it. A small menu was a good start as it means the menu is constantly changing and the ingredients are fresh and seasonal. We were the only non Italian speaking diners but our waiter was patient and helpful with both food and wine explanations. A good night out and a very good meal.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 19 August 2017

This typical "osteria" came highly recommended by locals for authentic experience and certainly met our expectations. We kept things simple after weeks of food indulgence by ordering the Brescia pasta speciality of Casonsei and a bottle wine from nearby Lake Garda. Service was friendly in that casual way of older waiters who are used to doing everything including creating more table seating in the street has the number of guests kept dropping by. The answer was effectively - we will find a way...rather than finding things difficult. So we ordered a cheese board to finish off the wine...nothing pretty rather the approach was bringing three super large hunks of cheese for you to help yourself that were almost intimidatingly large, mature and had our taste buds awakened.(See photo). Great getting a tip from the waiter who brought us slab of hot polenta and put on top an indecent hunk of melting Gorgonzola Dolce on top.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

I visited Al Bianchi first with a customer 10 years ago. I remembered I liked it, but specially that you had to join in and fill up the table (with others).

The concept is the same still. The family run place serves local dishes (try casoncelli). Nothing fancy, but tasteful local hits at a friendly price.

Service is kind and efficient.

Not for private dining, but surely for tasteful and cosy eating.
Just try!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 4 February 2017

The first time I dined here I was kind of intimidated because I was by myself and the restaurant seemed to be full of men with few women around. As I had no reservation I was seated at a community table full of business men. This Osteria is famous for serving donkey. I ordered some and waited for it to be delivered by the waiter while I fidgeted uncomfortably in my seat. A gentleman across the table sensed my discomfort and remarked that he ate here every time he came to town from Venice. When he saw that I had ordered the donkey he remarked that he didn't see how there was enough donkey in all of Italy to supply this restaurant. I think he was trying to make me think that it might not be donkey because Americans don't usually eat horse or donkey or just making conversation. It was delicious while the restaurant was warm and cozy. Three years later I returned with my husband. It was completely full and had the feel of dining with an big extended family. There were more women this time around. I didn't see donkey on the menu, though I did have some donkey milk earlier on my trip. Clearly many customers were regulars and had been dining here for years.

Date of visit: January 2017