The George Hotel
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$36
US$35
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroman fortbridal suitegrandfather clockoverlooking the riverlovely locationwedding receptionwedding venueevening mealfood was lovelynight porternight staybiscuitsroom was largebowes museumfull english breakfaststayed one nightcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I was given the bridal suite when I stayed for a work trip and it’s absolutely stunning I had the loveliest evening away - pub food fantastic, staff friendly and attentive, comfortable atmosphere all you could ask for in a country pub-hotel

Stayed: April 2018, traveled solo
Mark M, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Lyndsey M. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. It is great to see you enjoyed your time with us, and I do hope we get to see you again.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

I purchased a voucher for a deluxe two night stay from buyagift.com and from their list of hotels chose to stay here. The website made the hotel look to have high standards and it stated a recent refurbishment.
The staff were friendly and attentive and we were given the keys to room 215. Room was a good size but was dark and old fashioned. Nice towel swan on the bed, tea & coffee on offer and a shower gel dispenser in the shower. Ensuite shower room was small, you could rest your arm on the sink while using the toilet! Shower was a bit grubby around the edges and soap scum on soap bottle. The bed was really uncomfortable and my partner did not sleep much at all over the two nights and my sleep was restless. Tv in room couldn't keep it's signal and you can hear all your neighbours quite clearly.
The menu looked good and not badly priced. Both had a burger meal and was bland, need to learn to season the meat. Chips were lovely and crisp! Nice fire going in the bar which made it cosy. Breakfast was ok, quick service, but the whole place needs a good deep clean. Plates stuck to the tables, unclean cutlery/crockery and on the second day we sat at a laid table that hadn't been wiped down from the previous user...! Also under the radiators were grey from dust and cobwebs - needs a good clean!
This place is a lovely old building with fantastic views on to the river and some history behind it but it needs more effort to make it better. Needless to say I will be contacting buyagift.com as this hotel is far from deluxe!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Mark M, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi sarahS6317KF. Thank you for reviewing the George. Guest feedback is always appreciated and used in an effort to improve our offering. I hope we get to see you again and show you that your comments have been listened to.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

My wife and i Received a night stay from my daughter's as Xmas gift as it is what we like doing .I did read a few of the reviews especially the bad ones and now I have been I think people just like to moan at anything. On arrival we where greeted by a very polite young lad called Ben who quickly checked us in and guided us to room even offering to take our bags .As we where walking through the hotel i thought this place is not run down but a traditional coach house that's probably got lots of history to go along side the famous grandfather clock.
When entering the building for our room I noticed how warm it was so a very good start then we got in our room it is one of the warmest stays we have had .room clean and had tea and coffee facilities. Iron was in room and plenty of clothing space also if you like watching tv that's also a option .
The grounds where very nice would like to visit in summer as the outside beside river would be nice to hang out.
After looking around grounds we decided to have drinks we where Sat down for seconds and a very polite young girl called Olivia (liv) came over and got us drinks in fact Olivia seen to our meals on the evening of which where very nice I had chicken and my wife had the gammon on a wooden platter which was very nice. Thanks Olivia for the service with a smile
All in all we had a very good stay breakfast was very good so just like to thank all the staff .Mark , Ben ,Olivia and all the breakfast staff . Would return again . From room 220 (bierpro UK).

1  Thank safc73_10

Hi safc73_10. Wow! Thank you for the 5 star review. Great to see we will get to see you again. I have passed your comments onto the team. Don't leave it long before you're back.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Was delighted when my husband told me he was taking me somewhere new for lunch...what a big disappointment. We both chose the gammon and egg...the gammon was ok ish but the egg was crispy and black..would have expected a better looking egg from a greasy spoon...the worst part was the wooden boards our meal was served on....old and well scratched and very un hygenic....we did mention this to the young girl who replied "We get a lot of customer complaints for the same thing"....we paid 7.50 for a pint of shandy and a small lemonade....how can you justify that price....wont be getting my money again....wont be returning.

1  Thank Christine S

Hi Christine S. My apologies for not exceeding expectations on this occasion. I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I will certainly look into all areas as needed and correct any issues I find. I do hope we get to see you again and show you that customer comments are acted upon.

Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

We had this trip booked way back in October 2017. We had a terrible stay
To the Cross Keys in Tebay . (see my review) . Left 2 days earlier than planned , and visited the George at piercebridge on the way back to see what the place was like . (similar building , 500 yr old coaching house ) . We not only fell in love with the room we had been allocated .. but booked an extra night and upgraded to the bridal suite.
We arrived on the Friday afternoon, I had phoned ahead a couple of days previous to book a bottle of proseco and some chocolate dipped strawberries, (keep my lady sweet) .
The welcome was great , Mark the manager is a joy to deal with. Down to earth, polite and friendly. We arrived in our room and as requested the proseco was there with the strawberries. I enjoyed a soak in the swimming pool bath (takes about an hour to fill, but take some bubble bath . I will next time). The room was clean , well arranged and space was plentiful.
I had already booked the table for the Friday night and the Saturday night in advance . We had a 3 course meal on the Friday night and could only manage a 2 course meal on the Saturday night . The deal we had came with an allowance towards the evening meal and a bottle of house wine. Red or white . And breakfast .. The food was amazing . The staff are amazing . If you interact with them. Friendly and helpful. We ended up drinking with them after service on the saturday night in he bar.. We booked through bookings.com but since then there is new management in and if you book direct you will get the same deal. I won't tell you how much we paid as it's embarrassingly cheap.
We will be returning (sorry guys ) and might even Just be for lunch , but definitely coming back for a Weekend stay.
Thanks to Mark, Ben, Jes and the rest of the team for a great weekend . The chef is a great young lad and has some amazing standards.. he is professional and believes in quality ... check out his Eton mess ..it's to die for..
can't wait to book up again.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fazertony

Hi Fazertony. Thank you for the great comments. It was a pleasure to see you both, and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon.