“Community feastday”

Price range: US$10 - US$63
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Millbrook Inn – gloriously situated in the charming village of South Pool, Devon. A place to discover and enjoy great, honest cooking in an atmosphere that celebrates why villages need pubs and pubs need villages. Take a look around and see what makes the Millbrook Inn one of the most popular dining and social destinations in the area.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was our great good fortune to be staying locally at the exceptional Glebe Farm on a b&b basis for three nights, which meant we had to find an evening meal. We had arrived on a Monday, and when enquiring at the Millbrook we were initially told that they didn't serve food on this night, when the resident chef, JP?, was off. As we had made the enquiry by email, shortly afterwards, Charlie Baker, the proprietor, invited us to share what he described as 'the Village Table' that evening. This event has been running for the best part of ten years, and takes place each Monday evening during the quieter winter months. It consists of a fixed price menu of three courses, initially prepared by volunteers, now by paid staff, all for the princely sum of £10 per head! What's not to like? All the tables are shoved together, bit like schooldinners, and people from the village and surrounding farms, churches and hamlets fetch up to enjoy the mystery menu. We were soon drawn into conversation with the most interesting people you could wish to meet, as they don't take any prisoners, and welcomed to sit anywhere that took our fancy. The courses came and went, with each dish being passed from the head of the table to each diner in turn, with the conversation and the wines and ales flowing in equal measure. Everybody is invited to sit down at 7.30 and by 9.30 the meals were completed and the friendship cemented, a real community of interest and enterprise.
Some two days later, on our last night in the village, my wife enjoyed her venison steak, whilst I tucked into a Bouillabaisse, sitting by a warm fire and quaffing very good local ales. Splendid stuff!

2  Thank jollyrobert

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

the title says it all. Well kept pint of guiness and I would say that it was one of the best I've had outside of Ireland. Loved the log fire too.

1  Thank Bernadette P
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Always have some great local seasonal dishes on the menu. Venison perfectly cooked with delicious rich sauce. Pheasant a little tough but still tasted great. Nice local ales on tap.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We walked from East Portlemouth to the Millbrook Inn for lunch. We were not disappointed..we were welcomed by the team and given a lovely table. The food was excellent, the best we have had in fact. Beautiful home made soup followed by fish of the day and a fabulous steak sandwich. A gorgeous old pub, well worth a visit. In fact ‘a must’ when in the South Hams. Thanks to the whole team for a wonderful lunch.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed in "The Loft" which is above the Inn. It was by far the most relaxing break away I have had in a long time. The bed was super comfy to the point of not wanting to get out of it. The space was huge with dining/lounge, kitchen and bathroom all tastefully decorated. The bonus was the balcony off the kitchen with views of the river. On a sunny day a great place to sit out on and relax I'd imagine. We didn't have the pleasure this time as was a little chilly but this is one of the reasons we will definitely return.
Breakfast is provided for you to cook in the morning which includes cereal, croissants, pan au chocolat, orange juice, extremely delicious bread as well as ingredients for a full English with the best sausages I've ever tasted.
Charlie, the host was very welcoming and the staff were the most efficient and friendly I have come across. A special mention to Fern as she was an absolute star in sorting out my "fussy" partners eating habits without any hesitation at all. Unfortunately I struggle to get him to eat anything that's not steak and chips or sausage and mash! I had scallops, vegetable risotto and vanilla pane cotta with orange marmalade which was absolutely scrummy. As my heading says the whole experience from accommodation to food was faultless and we shall definitely return. I turn 40 in September so I'm going to drop some hints to the fussy one

1  Thank Dizzywizzy1