“Decent food”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We took lunch here on a day in midweek. On arrival to a warm welcome we ordered fish and chips, lasagne and calves liver. All these dishes were wholesome and beautifully presented as shown in the photographs. The menu is extensive and good value. Another north Derbyshire gem.

1  Thank RogerfromTown

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Weekend away in the Peak District and so many places and pubs to choose from! When recommended this pub we decided to go and try it out. Beautiful quaint pub with plenty of locals and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately this quickly seemed irrelevant when being discriminated by what I assume to be the landlord. Asking if he should put it on a tab and myself agreeing he then turned to my partner and said 'Whats your name?' I was treating my partner to the meal for his birthday. My partner politely responded, when I felt the need to interject and said with an awkward laugh 'Well I'm paying so it should really be under my name'. Irritated by this comment he then sharply added 'Well it will be Mrs William then'. A little taken back we got shown to a table that was obviously just meant customers wanting a drink, as there being no cutlery like other tables. There were plenty of tables for us to sit that weren't quite so cramped however ignoring this as I assumed they were booked, we sat facing the bar with a local and his dog sitting practically at the table with us. No problem. Move on. Menu looked fab, shame we didn't get to try it. After an extremely long wait to be served we decided unfortunately this wasn't the place for us. I'm only leaving this comment, not to put anybody down, but because I don't want this to happen to another customer as I left feeling rather small and undermined and feel this a mistake that should be learnt from.

4  Thank munds24
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited the restaurant whilst staying at the pub. We have stayed and eaten here previously and really like it here. Friendly staff and locals, great menu selection. We had steak and a lovely price of halibut. Nice starters and good selection of beers. We will return !

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am extremely happy to highly recommend this establishment for a number of reasons:

Food:
I attended with a large party of friends as we were attending a hen weekend a 5-10 minute walk away. The varied food menu was excellent and from what I understand locally sourced where possible. For such a large party, the food arrived promptly and every member of the party thoroughly enjoyed their meal. All the food appeared home made and the portion sizes were fantastic. We had a number of gluten free diners and a party member with severe digestive issues. The GF ladies were extremely happy and a completely bespoke meal was made for the other without any issue whatsoever!

Hospitality:
On the Saturday afternoon (at very late notice) we had to call and move our booking back an hour due to problems with the snow. We called to check this was ok and I personally spoke to an extremely pleasant lady who assured us this was no problem.
Due to the terrible snow conditions, Jonny the owner of the pub had suggested he drove us back to our accommodation following our meal. We declined his very kind offer and after sampling his incredible gin’s we decided it would be far more fun to walk home in the blizzard and throw a snowball or 2!

5* Customer Service:
The following morning we found ourselves stuck in our property due to the snow so many of us decided to head to the pub again to sample their Sunday lunch menu (with free desert!). When we got to the pub we received the same friendly welcome as the previous evening.
Soon after we arrived our ‘bride-to-be’ received a worried phone call from a member of our party who had got her car stuck in the show drifts. Jonny incredibly offered to go and help along with a very kind regular of his. I understand he ended up digging out a few other cars on his trip.

Not only did Jonny get us out of a fix, he had given us ideas of what to do in the area while we were visiting, assured us that there were plenty of provisions at the pub if we needed and talked us all through our best and safest routes out of the village.

I can honestly say that this is some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

We attended the pub for a meal for my friends hen night as we were staying near by. The staff were warm friendly and very accommodating as I'm on a gluten free diet. The food was freshly prepared and was delicious. It snowed heavily this weekend and it was an interesting walk to and from the pub.
The next day the mini beast from the east had snowed even more. We booked to go back to the pub for Sunday lunch because the good was so good the day before. I got my car stuck in a snow drift Jonny the manager came to my rescue and got us to the pub for our lunch. Again with fantastic service, food and easily adapted the menu to fit my dietary needs.
The staff clearly go above and beyond for people and I would highly recommend this venue, plus it's dog friendly which for me was brilliant as a dog owner.