“Sunday visit”

Ranked #104 of 384 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$41 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Hesketh Arms in Churchtown is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Would have to agree with Chris B post. We have been visiting the Hesketh Arms for 30 years and have always been pleased with the food, drink and atmosphere. (Except one visit long time ago) I know we have just been through pandemic but lately when we visit the staffing seems terrible. 4 staff behind bar talking, one serving and queue of 4 people waiting to be served. Staff member serving got drinks wrong and one came over to fix till but others still chatting while customers waiting. This place needs a shake up to improve or they will loose customers. Lots of my friends who have visited for many years are saying the same. So disappointing as this is a lovely local pub.

Date of visit: August 2021
General Manager A, Manager at Hesketh Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will strive to improve in these areas. All feedback is always welcome

Write a reviewReviews (639)

Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Real shout out to all at The Hesketh Arms. Good food. Staff lovely and nothing to much trouble . Recommended

Date of visit: August 2021
General Manager A, Manager at Hesketh Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much Joanne for such a positive review, we are pleased your visit with us was enjoyable and look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 10 August 2021

The Hesketh has been my local & favourite pub for 40 years.
Treated my daughter to early doors dinner at 6.00pm & wished we hadn’t bothered.
Both ordered a salad but the duck was unavailable so opted for the super green salad which was mainly a bowl of lettuce with a large handful of peas at the bottom of the bowl.
Ordered 2 meals & 2 drinks. The service was really slow despite the restaurant being quiet & we weren’t offered another drink or the dessert menu.
Paid the bill at the bar as nobody came near the table & the waitress in a very high pitched attention seeking voice announced she had done really well for tips.
Im sorry to say I didn’t tip & won’t be returning to a much loved haunt.
The staff have changed & we didn’t see a manager hence the review.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 1 August 2021 via mobile

I came here for some lunch with my mum and nan yesterday.
We all had a prawn cocktail which was lovely, I could of eaten a big portion for a main it was so tasty, I didn’t think to ask but it doesn’t come with butter for the bread so ask for it.
My mum and nan both got gammon and chips, only qualm from my Nan as she hates eggs is there wasn’t an option for pineapple with it. Said it was cooked really well though and loved the chips!
I had the house burger, it was huge I could only get through half of it but I highly recommend, the burger was cooked well.
I’d come again for a nice little lunch out.
The staff are lovely too, always making sure you’ve got what you need and they got a few things extra like salad dressing etc when my nan asked and nothing was a bother it’s a lovely atmosphere.

Date of visit: July 2021

Thank you for providing us with such a positive review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 17 July 2021

Visited with family after lockdown. Very Covid safe but food awful, half the meals cold and came at different times. I see on Facebook that they’re advertising for chefs so would recommend waiting until they’re in and settled. Will try again, love this place but current circumstances mean I’ll avoid in the short term unfortunately.

1  Thank Fonkey