“Roast dinner”
Review of The Old Duke

The Old Duke
Ranked #159 of 329 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Description: Pub and food with family area, fantastic grills and home made pizza. Bookings available but can also just come in.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Came on the Sunday to try out the new roast dinners, omg it was unreal, all the potatoes, veg and meat were roasted and seasoned to perfection, the carrots being a particular highlight, the team were really friendly too, thank you to all the team at the old duke

Date of visit: May 2021
Dave L, General Manager at The Old Duke, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi lindseyhU1825HJ,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for coming to try our new roasts!
We are incredibly proud of what we have accomplished with these!

I will pass your praise back to the entire team!

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a reviewReviews (283)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We’ve been here a few times but this time the food was a very poor quality. Upon entering we were told to inform then of any dietary requirements I picked the tuna pasta in a creamy sauce with spinach and pepper I asked for not pepper I was told that they could not remove the pepper as it was a pre packaged meal. My partner ordered gammon. After receiving my pasta I see there’s not tuna and it had just been microwaved as the pasta was hard after 2 mouthfuls I realise there’s chilli oil on it I then have to stop eating and take my medication as I can get very sick with spicy food I inform the waitress who was very polite about it but no refund offered. My partner could barely chew his gammon. I have now been very unwell things like chilli oil should be mentioned on the menu because if I was allergic to it then this would of been a whole different story.

Date of visit: May 2021
Dave L, General Manager at The Old Duke, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Emmeline2016,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I would firstly like to reassure you that we do take all dietary requirements very seriously and have a very comprehensive system in place to help assist guests with their needs.

With regards to the meal you order, we only do either a Pasta Alfredo or a Chicken Pasta Alfredo. None of our dishes on the menu contain Tuna.
I'm sorry if there was any confusion when placing your order. This was never our intention.

With regards to the chilli oil, this is not a product we have on site as it is not used in any of our dishes.
We have also double checked the ingredients for the product and our allergy information and there is no mention of any chillies or chilli product within the dish.
As this is a re-heated dish, there is also very little chance of it coming in contact with any jalapeños etc that we do use within the kitchen.

If possible, could you please give us a call on 01704 322180 to discuss any potential allergic reaction to enable us to look into this further.

Regards

Reviewed 13 December 2020

Pub was pretty much empty, ordered 4 meals. One large burger, was ok, one lasagne, average, one kids pizza (complete with pizza cutter for a 6 year old? Maybe cut the pizza in the kitchen?) no fries or drink included aat 5.75 for kids meal is pretty steep but she liked it. But the Sunday roast (beef) was on a par with hospital food, and had to be sent bck, it looked awful and tasted the same. Give them their dues, no fuss exchange and comped but then we all had to eat at different times, so kinda spoiled what should have been a treat. With so many places to eat in Southport I'm afraid we wouldn't come back. Shame as is pretty local. Hopefully these comments can be used constructively to work on food quality.

Reviewed 5 December 2020 via mobile

Was met at the door with a lovely smile and friendly face, offering us our table, this carried through the evening, staff were lovely, food was fab, 2 steaks cooked perfectly, couldn't fault the evening

Reviewed 4 December 2020 via mobile

Excellent welcome, excellent Covid spacing, excellent food, fabulous staff. What more could you want? First visit since lockdown. The pub looked amazing. Very festive. Very inviting.

Thanks to Si who was so welcoming and helpful. Dave also both of whom went out of their way to ensure our lunchtime experience was the best. Thank you both. And no, we don’t know them or have any connections with the pub.

Will be back.