“Interesting pub-meets-old-ship mashup”

Ranked #11 of 82 Restaurants in Shanklin
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beautifully decorated with lots of old maritime objects, which, in combination with the wood panelling, creates a special atmosphere.

Solid pub food, although it would be even better if they also included something like grilled seabass on the menu.

Island-brewed ale on the tap. Great view from the window or outside. Friendly staff.

I would come back.

Karen_Johnson1, Manager at The Steamer Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for the lovely review, I hope you come and visit us again soon to soak up some of our atmosphere!
Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After starting a deliberate miss understanding we were amazed by the I'm professional and down right aggressive attitude of the Duty Manager and His staff. He was rude, aggressive and very I'm professional even asking "Christ what's the matter with him now" I have never received such apauling customer service in my life and will certainly tell my customers to go elsewhere. They let the whole island down. Their managers response "Go Elsewhere as we don't want you back" honestly there is better food to be had with staff who appreciate your custom. Besides the really rude management. The food was wonderful and the floor staff very helpful just don't complain as they don't care.

Karen_Johnson1, Manager at The Steamer Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello, as explained to you over one of our social media accounts, you have omitted a few details.
Upon arriving, you were told that we did not have a table for 11 available, and told you that you might be uncomfortable trying to fit around a small table. You took offense at this for some reason.
The second incident was when a member of your party tried to buy two young looking girls a fruit cider. Upon asking for ID, we were told that legally, we had to serve them. As explained, although companies can choose to serve 16 and 17 year olds a wine, beer or cider with their meal, it is company policy that we do not as children of that age do not typically carry ID with them making it hard to determine if they are 16 or younger.
Also, even if we did allow it, the law does not permit us to serve a bottle of cider which you were asking for.
So if by "apauling customer service" you mean we do not serve alcohol to minors, you are correct, and we are proud not to break the law.
I also did not tell you to "go elsewhere as we don't want you back", I told you that "we will survive without your personal recommendation".
Although now you mention it, we don't want you back as you called one of our staff members an expletive.
Regards,
Maxine (yes me again)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We’d never been before so didn’t know what to expect, pubs can be very hit and miss. But I’m delighted to say we were very impressed. The food was really excellent, well presented, hot, well cooked and super tasty. We had two sharing plates which were much larger than we expected and two kids meals. The restaurant has a real cosy feel, a friendly team, clean dining area and good toilets. Whilst it’s not the cheapest, it’s worth the extra and well worth a visit.

Thank you so much for your kind review, I hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Portions are large, which made the starter a bit of a mistake! In particular the chowder and seafood pasta were excellent. Good range of beers and friendly staff. Great situation overlooking the sea.

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I hope you enjoyed your starter regardless!
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited on Easter Sunday and chose the roast pork. Meal was rather disappointing - the roast potatoes had been overcooked and were almost black, the roast parsnip looked nice but was so raw in the middle I couldn't get my knife through it, the carrots looked like they had been cooked several hours earlier and were dried up and the leeks had been cooked to mush. Really poor quality overall and has put me off going back. The pub was also very noisy - not just with people chatting but with noise from behind the bar - coffee machines, ice machine and bottles clanking. Wasn't quite so bad when the live music started.

Hello, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meals on Easter Sunday, I will make sure I speak to our kitchen team about this. I am sorry for the noise also, however the coffee machine and ice machine are necessities for us to run. As we are a small pub we are aware that it can get noisy so I hope we can cut down on the noise from bottles.
I hope this does not put you off visiting us again,